best album (cd) ever

Since we're on the topic of music. List your favorite CD/Album ever.Metallica- Master of Puppets.On that cd they hit their peak. And Justice for all was good. Black album had it's moments, but it's all downhill from there. Don't get me wrong, there are some great songs since. "Fuel" gets my blood going more than any other song, but nothing touched Master.Erik

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favorite cd's is the 311(damn I can't remember the name of it), the one with the fireball logo, it might have been self titled. Anyways there is a song in there for usually every mood that I am in. If I can't find something on there I will just hit up Johnny Cash or specifically Kansas Dust in the Wind.

My fav CD changes constantly but the one that's been in my car CD player constantly for over month and a half now is the Frank Zappa best of 'Strictly Commercial'Ever? I'd probably have to go with Floyd also. 'Dark side of the moon'

Boothy... You like Dark Side Of the Moon better than Wish you were Here or Animals? Dark Side is good, but I would not consisder it Pink Floyds best. I always felt that Animals was their best, even though it had little commercial success. wrto... Don't know what is with you and the language lately. Boston? You don't know who Boston is? Shame on your parents! I tell you, I don't understand how this generation knows so little about the music before them. I am not saying you have to like it (yes, Boston sold a lot of records but I wouldn't put it on the top of any of my list) but you should have least of heard of them. The song More than a Feeling has been played on everything. I think one of the best all time albums is Nirvana's Nevermind. This is an album that changed the landscape of music and set a new trend for what you hear today. The whole album is great. My son got the Nirvana 3 CD and DVD set called With The Lights Out for Christmas and watching the DVD you realize how influential these guys were. No one in the band is the best at anything, but the combination of the three is awesome. When I first heard Nirvana, I felt finally there was music that was written for me and my generation. I remember hearing a couple of Nirvana songs a few months before Nevermind was released and I knew music was going to go through a dramatic change (I was an avid fan of MTV's 120 minutes. It was time for the hair bands to die. ) I was tired of most music and Nirvana was a breath of life in a very plastic and benign soundscape.Anyway, just my 2 cents on music and the best albums. :D

Yeah I threw boston out there because i love them! i wouldnt consider it the greatest album either. Im not a big nirvana fan, i think they were overrated, but thats my opinion. I think alice in chains and soundgarden were the bands that really changed the music scene. FYI, soundgarden was the first "grunge" band to get signed to a record label.

'Wish you were here' is special for me because Roy Harper (who incidentaly is the greatest singer/songwriter ever to grace the planet, and I won't even bother to argue the point!) sings on it. However, for me DSOTM is still tops.On a side note: I was listening to Roy Harper's 'Bullinavingvase' when I signed up for Pokerstars. Hence the harper20 moniker (which I can't change)

Yeah I threw boston out there because i love them!  i wouldnt consider it the greatest album either.  Im not a big nirvana fan, i think they were overrated, but thats my opinion.  I think alice in chains and soundgarden were the bands that really changed the music scene.  FYI, soundgarden was the first "grunge" band to get signed to a record label.
Diver,The Alternative music scene was rumbling for a long time. Before Nirvana hit big, I listened to bands like Concrete Blonde, Fetchin' Bones, REM, Sonic Youth, Love and Rockets, Jane's Addiction, the SugarCubes and The The. Music was changing but nothing was getting played on mainstream channels. It was the hook on Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" that opened the doors to all Altantive bands, signed or not, to the mainstream audience. I am not sure if Alice in Chains and Soundgarden would have received the amount of airplay if it wasn't for Nevermind. Don't get me wrong, I love Soundgarden and Alice in Chains. I loved the whole grunge movement, including STP, Seven Mary Three (a Central Florida band), God's Child, Meat Puppets and the like. The only band at the time that I didn't really click with was Pearl Jam. It seems you are either a Nirvana fan or a Pearl Jam fan. I of course, am more of a Nirvana fan.Of late, I really like the Foo Fighters. I think Dave Grohl is awesome. Again, he is not the best singer, song writer, guitar player or drummer (though he is dame good). However, Dave Grohl loves music and continues to create and explore new ventures.

Theresa113, Again you beat me to everything, I love the Foo Fighters, My fav. album from there is TINLTL. The best part about the Foo is that their live concerts are amazing! You wouldnt think it, but they just jam most of the concert. They Rock! I never got into pearl jam either, But i loved Temple of the Dog, which of course was written and fronted by who else, Chris Cornell. By the way, that one album spwaned Pearl Jam because it was there that Eddie Vedder met mother love bone and Pearl Jam was formed. So all you Pearl Jam fans should thank Chris Cornell for spawning that band. Oh, IMO, Say Hello 2 Heaven is one of the greatest songs ever!

Yes, my name is Theresa, hence my screen name. You don't know WHO THE GUY in the picture is? Gee, you must have missed many of my post. Here is a clue:http://fullcontactpoker.com/poker-forum/vi...topic.php?t=939or, check this out...http://fullcontactpoker.com/poker-forum/vi...opic.php?t=1385I am sure I have mentioned him in many other threads as well. :-)

I had no idea that was him. It doesnt all that much look like him in that picture and forgive me if i just looked at the pic and ASSUMED. Wow, youre a chick? thats awesome, i love it when girls know their music!! AND, youre a Chris Cornell fan! And you love poker! You sound like my girlfriend, youre name isnt Elizabeth is it? hahha

I always felt that Animals was their best, even though it had little commercial success
theresea you are a true floyd fan, thank you this is a slept on album by many. Back to the question at hand since there can not be one true greatest ablum lets just list a few. Led Zepplin: IV, Houses of Holy, and Physical GraffittiThe Stones: Beggars BanquetDerek and the Dopminos: Layla and other love songsThe Police: SynchronicityRadiohead: OK Computer, Hail to the Thief(will be a classic as the years go on, trust me)Fleetwood Mac: RumorsMiles Davis: well anything before 75, and those of you who aren't familiar with him, shame on you and get some of his stuffI could go on and on

KDawg,You have listed some really good classic albums. I love ALL of the bands that you listed. Zepplin was such a mainstay in my youth. During the summer, I hung out with a group of guys (my girlfriends were back in the states. I lived in the Virgin Islands and I would stay in the summer.) and we were always listending to Zepplin and Van Halen. Drinking age was 18 on the island; the guys would always get carded. I was the youngest at 15 and I guess because I looked so innocent, I never got carded. So we would pile up in the beat up Corolla, head to the Tri-Mart (like a quazi 7-11) and I would go in and buy a bunch of 20 oz Hienekens. We would go down to the beach with the stereo blasting and chug them down. Of course, I could never "chug" but we would all hang out and listen to music. This was in the early 80s.So it was a mix of classic rock with some new stuff as well. Other bands at the time were The Knack, Cheap Trick (gosh, don't you love Live at Buddakon?), Van Halen first 2 albums, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Pat Bennetar, The Pretenders, Joan Jett and The Cars. One night, a bit buzzed, we were driving up the mountain and Blue Oyster Cult's "Dont Fear The Reaper" came on and it felt like the car was moving in perfect sync to the song. I guess we were pretty trashed because we all thought it was so cool. Anyway.. . as you can see, I am a big music fan. I think that is why my son plays guitar. When he asked for one at the age of 8, I was like sure! So, you never know, I may be raising the new sound of rock. :)Oh.. and DiverDown, no I am not your girlfriend, but if she is into the same things I am, she sounds really cool! :D

had no idea that was him. It doesnt all that much look like him in that picture and forgive me if i just looked at the pic and ASSUMED.
Yeah, Layne Flack looks different in almost every picture. The latest avatar I got from someone's blog when he was down in Aruba for the Ultimate Bet Tournament (he came in 2nd! ) This was last October, so it is the most recent picture I know of of Layne Flack. He is nice and tanned in the picture, which probably throws people off even more. Poker players are not really known for having a good tan. :D

It changes often, but I always come back to:1. Anything by the Beatles (except Yellow Submarine)2. Either one of Led Zeppelin's first 5 albums3. Counting Crows - August and Everything After4. Blue Rodeo - 5 Days in July5. Coldplay - first one is good...second one is a classic (unbelievable)6. Dave Matthews (fave is Lillywhite Sessions bootleg)7. The Best of Elmo...to be continued

Coldplay - first one is good...second one is a classic (unbelievable)
I really think in a few years A rush of blood to the head will be in many's top20 all time list, just a wonderful album. It gets even more magnified when you consider some of the crap that gets released today