Okay, so I've been playing for a little over a year, mostly online play, and I have fared pretty well for the most part. However, recently, for about 2 weeks, I can't seem to win a thing. I'm starting to wonder why I waste my time, when in my best sessions lately, I may break even. When limit goes ugly, I've switched to NL, when that goes ugly, I switch to SNG's, only to get a terrible beat and be on the rail in fourth place. I have completely lost my confidence, and want to know any others who have gone through similar stretches, and can give me some advice. I seriously feel as if I can't beat the game anymore, and I pretty much follow SSHE by sklansky. Its gotten to the point where my $800 bankroll playin 1/2 is down to about $300. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

General advice: take a break. If you've lost 60% of your bankroll in a couple weeks, you should also ratchet down in limit. Play less often, but play harder when you do play.

im in a bad stretch as well as of late...either i cant catch a card or running into horrible beats....thats poker..hot and cold streaks...im taking like a week off from playing and just trying to read alot of poker material ...not saying thats the answer,i just need time away to regroup...diffrent things work for diffrent ppl

try playing in the free games for awhile. i know the play sucks but it might help you get throught the slump. it works for me.also do not go to no-limit from limit play when your confidence is shot, no-limit is all about confidence. gear down to a lower limit or just take a break for a week or two.don't let those bad beats get you down, just don't try to gain all your money back in one night, always play w/ a leavel head and when you feel confident.you will get through this it just takes time. good luck, i hope this helps

I've had the same deal myself. What I've done lately and I think is the best idea, is take a break. It sounds like you've gotten a little stressed over the bad beats and thus likely, whether you feel it or not, have gone on tilt. Being down that much can hurt your game.Try taking a break and look at the the objective as not getting your bankroll back to where it was, but rather focus on the individual pot or game. I also play some play money games to get a grip of what I'm doing wrong. It helps when your bankroll is not at stake and your not stressed. When you do bad keep track of the plays you made and the folds you made, same deal with the wins. Then go back and review your results.

im in a bad stretch as well as of late...either i cant catch a card or running into horrible beats....thats poker..hot and cold streaks...im taking like a week off from playing and just trying to read alot of poker material ...not saying thats the answer,i just need time away to regroup...diffrent things work for diffrent ppl
Same thing here, went on a week and half losing streak. Took a break for a while. Went from 600 - 6 dollars in one night... someone tried to bluff me when I flopped top 2 pair, they caught 2 runners for the jack high flush... grrr..... Lost 500 in that pot... But it happens, went from that 6 dollars now I'm at 60. It's a start, gonna keep bumping the limits up till I'm back where I started...

Let me know when and where you are playing! Just kidding I agree with the others a few days to a week off could do some real good. When you come back the bad beats and bad luck won"t be in the front of your mind.Good luck

I know it's been said by everyone . . . but I completely agree. Take some time off. I did the same thing. In two months I lost my entire bankroll . . . twice! I took three weeks off and just spent time with the family. I started back and within three days I tripled my bankroll. It only takes that first winning hand to get the feel back. GOOD LUCK!

Losing streaks can be scary. They threaten your bankroll and your confidence. The good news is that even the best players will go on long, extended losing streaks several times in their career. The bad news is that knowing this, one might be tempted to avoid examining one's own game, to see if any leaks have developed. When you're losing, it's very easy to justify some less than optimal playing decisions: "These guys are weak, so I can loosen up my starting hand requirements. Yeah, it's only a jack-six, but it's suited, and I'm on the button!" "Yeah, he's a calling station, but bluffing the river was the only way to win the pot when I busted my draw. And he calls with bottom pair! Can you believe it?""Hey, one good round at the next higher limit level and I can wipe out hours of frustation at this one!" "If Layne Flack can drink while he plays, why can't I?"Etc. I agree with taking a few days off from playing, but use them to study your books, and any records you keep of the games you've played. Try to find out if you're developing any bad habits, or making plays you wouldn't think of doing if you were winning.

well I've never felt more confident in my life and truely cant remember my last losing session in a ring game, I do recall being in a similiar situation as yourself and a break usually isn't the worst thing in the world. You could take the time to actually earn some money to replentish your shrinking bankroll. The other thing that Has helped me is that even if i'm on my sebaticle, I will continue to try and improve my game. This is important, so you don't end up taking a break and coming back only to find, nothin changed. Read, read read, continue to improve, make yourself better than them and eventually you'll have to win because you've invested your heart and soul and it has to happen. I believe you really have to believe your good, your not in any sort of rut, rather a statistical anomilie which has now passed and now you are going to win.

Because of Daniels girlfriend articals I cant help but raise my eyebrows at my girl when things go south. I know I'm great at shooing responsibility but you might want to check out daniels losing girl and winning girl articals, you just might have a jinxer on your hands, mines not compleatly out of the clouds yet, as I have yet to win any real serious money, I have her on a probationary type of deal, ha ha . Go get em, and lose that stinkin thinkin.

When limit goes ugly, I've switched to NL, when that goes ugly, I switch to SNG's, only to get a terrible beat and be on the rail in fourth place. I have completely lost my confidence, and want to know any others who have gone through similar stretches, and can give me some advice. I seriously feel as if I can't beat the game anymore, and I pretty much follow SSHE by sklansky. Its gotten to the point where my $800 bankroll playin 1/2 is down to about $300. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.Switching games means you're on tilt.If you've lost $500 playing 1/2 limit it's not bad luck, it's a leak. It's not impossible to lose 250BB but it's not easy either if you're playing well.Bite the bullet, drop back down to .50/1, STOP PLAYING NL and work your way back up to $600.

Wannabe,I have a few suggestions as I've been in that low confidence situation before, at least once.1: Life outside of poker. I'm being a total hypocrite on this but it is good advice. The quality of your life out side of poker has a huge impact on your game. 2: Take some time off. This will give you time to improve home life aiding your poker play/confidence.3: Find 1 or 2 leaks in your game, we all have them so don't pony out of this, and spend your time thinking about these leaks instead of playing. If you play online you could watch games in progress and try to figure out how much it would have cost you that session. 4: Use some off time just documenting regulars at your limit find what they do right and what they do wrong....emulate their strenths and exploit their weaknessess.Cheers,Tyler