i need your help--some advice if you will. i am a decent player and i've been playing mostly 1/2 and 2/4 hold 'em. i do extremely well in SNG's, banking 60% of the time. i almost always win live sessions, but online i've been having an extremely tough time growing my bankroll at these low limits. i'll have one table where i earn $80 and another at which i lose $50 to terrible beats. for instance i had to stop playing a moment ago when the following hand occured:i was dealt QQ short-handed in the BB. guy raises from the button i reraise, he caps. rags fall on the flop and turn, rainbow with no real straight threat--i bet out on both--he calls. a K falls on the river and the guy flips over K9o...it was a $40 pot.honestly, i don't have a sufficient bankroll at this point to play 2/4 consistently, but i can usually kill it...question is, do i do it anyway? i figured it was a good idea, but then hands like this ruin my confidence, and i don't want to bust. i keep extensive stats and have found that i fair much better at 2/4 than 1/2, and i have a higher earn rate short handed. thanks for your help! dave.

honestly, i don't have a sufficient bankroll at this point to play 2/4 consistently, but i can usually kill it...
If you don't have the bankroll for it, just don't do it. You might be able to kill it a lot, but one of those times when you catch a bad run of cards or get unlucky you will flush most or all of your bankroll and then you won't even have enough to play your 1/2 games or much of anything at all.

Couple things.First, I don't consider making $80 playing a 2/4 game to be "killing" it. I can make $80 playing .50/1 or 1/2 for a couple hours if the right cards fall. Plus, if you usually did kill it when you played, you'd have bankroll to survive bad beats like that.If you don't have the bankroll, you can't do it. Simple as that.

There's a simple rule of thumb here, 300x bb(big bet) bankroll. Some manage 250, while others feel more secure with 350. Ex, $600 for a 1/2 fixed table. This is for FL, I'll assume that you're talking about FL. If you think you have great poker skills you should just try and play some lowstake NL in which you'll be able to protect your hands better. + I built my bankroll up from low limits much faster by playing NL, varies from person to person though. If FL frustrates you then go with NL.Just be warned that if you're infact not a good player you could end up losing a lot more due to leaks at the nl tables.Caro has said something about taking shots with smaller bankrolls if you're good enough instead of nurturing say a 500-1000 br. Maybe play two tables of the maximum limit you can afford etc. Not that I would recommend it myself but I'm no maad genius of poker...

If you feel your bankroll is too small then don't play, you have to be "okay" with having a bad night and losing everything you bring to a table off a bad beat. Your bankroll must be big enough to take those bad hits and still be in good shape becasue eventually, the guy who called down with K 9 will be the type that is your biggest money maker in the long run.

Two comments: if you are not comfortable with normal varience at 2/4 - DONT PLAY IT. You'll make mistakes that you normally will not make, which is not a good thing for you or your roll.Secondly - regarding 300 BB - that's the roll of a professional player. Right now I'm playing in a fun 'challenge' event with another forum that I run with.The essential details are that you start with a $50 roll and progress as f0llows:Limit=============Start=============Finish$0.50/$1==========> $50=============> $100$1/$2============> $100=============> $200$2/$4============> $200=============> $300$3/$6============> $300=============> $500$5/$10===========> $500=============> $1000$10/$20=========> $1000=============> $1500$15/$30=========> $1500=============>$2000 Moving down in limitsLimit Playing======BR Drop Point========New Limit$0.50/$1=========> $0===============> Get a Job!$1/$2===========> $50=============> .50/1$2/$4===========> $100=============> 1/2$3/$6===========> $150=============> 2/4$5/$10==========> $250=============> 3/6$10/$20=========> $500=============> 5/10$15/$30=========> $750=============> 10/20 I think this structure is nice for a casual player - it gives downside protection while a nice shot at upside. The basic rules are that once you clear the $$ valuation for any one limit, you must switch before your next big blind. If you play higher than micro limits, but want to jump in, I'd say just go in at your normal limit or one under it.