Lie Of The Day!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hilary doesn't bother me anymore than any other vanilla politician. I can't listen very long to anyone before I just turn the channel out of simple disinterest. My cats would be perfectly safe with me

I like your post Steve. I disagree with some of it, but I like it all the same.   I would like to note I disagree, sort or, with the power of a good orator. I dont know how you or anyone defines a g

I guess I'm still a bit bitter about Obama. He did wake me up. This guy seemed bigger than life when he spoke. But when he got into office he backed down on a lot of stuff and was wishy washy at times

But I think if you can make strides to make the US and the world better then you've done good. So ultimately, I guess he actually has done good now that I really think about it.

THIS is where I sit.

You would know better than me if he truly had a great effect on the US, but I would hope so.

Whats sort of sad is, I think his terms may have actually had a negative effect on race relations and human decency in general. It would seem having a black, 'muslim' president who didnt fix all of everyones ills and tried to bring in universal health care has actually given racists-haters a greater following and greater opportunity to recruit.

I agree strongly with what Arp is saying (except for the last post). Some real good stuff there. Specifically the stuff about how awesome and impressive these people all would be in real life. Ted Cruz seems to be the most repulsive human being alive, and he was a national debate champion in college (even though he was equally hated then). And this isn't one of those 'there are 37 national champions who just won a contest' thing like the best-seller list - no, he and his partner were THE national champions. That is some heady stuff.

I disagree that all the 'Obummer is Muslim' thing actually reflects negative race relations and human decency in general. Yes, the conduct is at times gross, but that's what happens when wrong people are backed into a corner. I see a lot of the awful things done and said as the last gasp and lashing out of people who see things changing around them and don't know what to do. Maybe I'm being an idealist (and in a world where 70% of Republican primary voters want to ban Muslims from entering the country, I'm probably giving too much credit), but I thing change is well on its way. The "truthers" and Kim Davis supporters and people like that have their proponents, but in reality, most of us don't really consider arguing against them to be an argument - they are more of an anachronism. The fact that we have a Cuban-Canadian-American, a woman and a Jewish man reasonably running for President, and the only people to really view them negatively are voluntarily represented by a human being who is basically just a fart in an empty Cheetos bag suggests to me that while we're not post-racism by any means, the racists are so obviously cornered and wrong that it's just a matter of time until they're nothing more than the racist murmurings of a past generation that their kids are embarassed by.

completely off topic, but I listened to a podcast recently about competitive Debate. (It was a very recent Radiolab episode, and if you don't already, I highly recommend radiolab as a weekly/bi-weekly 1 hour listen. Consistently fascinating stuff, and extremely well produced)

Anyway, has anyone ever listened/watched a college level competitive debate? It's kind of ridiculous. It's like a speed-talking competition more than a persuasive speech competition. This is not taking anything away from the people who are good at it, but it's almost a joke. I can barely even explain it other than my wife and I both burst out laughing when they played a clip from one of the competitions.

Apparently, at some point in the history of debate, somebody figured out that, because of the way that the competitions are judged, if you could make X number of arguments in Z amount of time, that was more important than actually making a persuasive argument or not sounding like a speed-talking robot. So now, everybody literally talks as fast as humanly possible, and the "debates" actually sound like a sped up recording of somebody talking, with no inflection in the voices at all.

So...I haven't been on twitter in 24 hours which means I have no new material. I'm sad to have failed this thread on the second day, but I'm proud that it was off the rails within hours.

I hope everyone continues to post any type of amusing lies here.

This really isn't a lie, but it talks about lies, so I'm posting it here:

http://gawker.com/the-idea-that-the-media-is-to-blame-for-donald-trump-1767429349

It discusses whether the media has done a "fair" job representing Trump. They let him talk a lot, and often either don't question him or barely question him. Then again, he is historically disliked, so it's hard to say that the media has handed him anything. I actually look at the article as kind of a 'new media' vs 'old media' argument. You have CNN and NBC and Fox and major networks giving Trump as much airtime as he wants, barely fact-checking him, and when they do, they try to word everything in such an apolitical way that it loses meaning (for example, when Trump responded to a non-Cruz-affiliated party attacking his wife with an attack on Cruz's wife, the big outlets called in 'bickering', 'trading barbs,' 'twitter fued'). Whereas the 'new media' (websites) have typically been far less even-handed, regularly referring to Trump in an explicitly negative fashion.

As far as actual lies go, Trump did a lengthy interview with the New York Times media, and basically every word is either completely irrelevant, a meaningless opinion (which is contradicted by actual statistics), an outright lie, or just a demonstration that he doesn't have the faintest clue how foreign policy, the military or basic human ethics work. It would be pointless to point out one or a couple, because there isn't 3 consecutive sentences in the entire thing that make any damn sense.

But hey, at least it doesn't appear that he sexually harassed anyone this time.

Today's lie, courtesy of the man himself:

"Wow, @CNN has nothing but my opponents on their shows. Really one-sided and unfair reporting. Maybe I shouldn't do their town-hall tonight!" - Donald Trump

This doesn't get special treatment just because of the lie. It's kind of a boring lie - a guy who gets 75% of media attention cries about the 25% that others get, and makes a threat that supposedly is against the network, but is really against giving the public information (something which he's avoided as much as possible).

The reason this gets special treatment is because of how impressively predictable it was. It came within an hour of his campaign manager being charged with battery. A situation that his campaign and the manager had explicitly lied about in the past. And of course, rather than actually address an actual issue, his strategy was to try to distract, and say something outlandish to change the subject. In fact, I read at least 3 tweets between the the charge being announced and his "threat" which said something like "oooh, I wonder what ridiculous thing Trump will say to distract media attention away from the charges".

Ooooh, and now Trump doubles down by tweeting an accusation that he was grabbed and asking if he can press charges, accompanied by a very grainy image that shows almost nothing (except that he is almost certainly not being touched in the picture). And also seems to ignore the difference between "grabbing me and shouting questions" and "pulling someone hard enough from behind to leave bruising".

He has followed it up with..."if he grabbed her she would have screamed" and "maybe the bruises were there before" (bruises consistent with being grabbed as per the video would be an impressive coincidence).

As someone tweeted today - if Donald Trump decided a year ago to do everything in his power to harm the Republican Party...would it look any different?

You pay way to much attention to this joke. He's slowly but surely becoming irrelevant. Don't be like the media and give him all this free attention.

I have to! If I don't, I have nothing to distract from the possibility that Ted Cruz could legitimately be president...

I look forward to the day we get into a Nuclear war because President Trump thinks 'the other guy started it nah nah nahhhh".

Then again, as per usual we have everyone focusing on Trump being a dope, rather than Cruz responding to a question about what "patrolling Muslim neighbourhoods" means with 'we'll fight the enemy" and the enemy is "Islam" which is about a million times more important and scary and the fact that it is largely being ignored suggests to me that the United States is simply fundamentally broken and if I lived there, I'd get the hell out before brown people had to start wearing a star and crescent on their sleeves.

People talked about it. How much do they need to talk about it? The more it gets talked about the more coverage he gets. I think the polls show quite clearly he isn't that much of a threat.

I wanna play too.

Trump has said many times that he would back whoever won the nomination. Yesterday he reneged on that promise, and said he would only back the winner if the winner was....himself.

Cruz' statement is no more or less than a hate crime - I think it deserved more than a few mentions overnight in the press.

Chris' is a great one, again because of how predictable it was! There is literally no scenario where Trump could have lost, and not thought it was unfair, so there was no way he could ever keep that promise. Now that he's probably going to win, a clear sign that treatment has been more than fair...and he's breaking his promise anyway!

One last thing to add to the list of really important things that Trump doesn't have the faintest clue how they work. When asked who he'd nominate to the vacant Supreme Court opening, he said he would appoint people who'd look closely at Clinton's email disaster. Which, of course, in no way resembles what the Supreme Court actually does...

Cruz' statement is no more or less than a hate crime - I think it deserved more than a few mentions overnight in the press.

Chris' is a great one, again because of how predictable it was! There is literally no scenario where Trump could have lost, and not thought it was unfair, so there was no way he could ever keep that promise. Now that he's probably going to win, a clear sign that treatment has been more than fair...and he's breaking his promise anyway!

One last thing to add to the list of really important things that Trump doesn't have the faintest clue how they work. When asked who he'd nominate to the vacant Supreme Court opening, he said he would appoint people who'd look closely at Clinton's email disaster. Which, of course, in no way resembles what the Supreme Court actually does...

How is that comment a hate crime? It's disgusting. It's racist but words can't be a hate crime. He would actually have to act. He won't. So again, why give credence to a mad mans "words"?

How is that comment a hate crime? It's disgusting. It's racist but words can't be a hate crime. He would actually have to act. He won't. So again, why give credence to a mad mans "words"?

Sorry - should've said that any action he takes in this regard (like, if he actually becomes president) should be construed that way (it won't).

• 5 weeks later...

At a very normal rally, Trump called every journalist there a "bad person", referred to his opponent as a liar without presenting evidence, explicitly lied about how many people were there (he said 31000, the room holds a fraction of that), explicitly lied about ISIS and told a fake story glorifying a horrible mass murder/war crime. He didn't present these things as opinions or estimations or stories - he presented them as outright facts.

• 1 month later...

Implied lie of the day, from Masai Ujiri - that he thinks a Dwane Casey-coached team starring DeMar Derozan as a max (or close) player will ever be a better team than wherever LeBron James is playing!

• 2 months later...

And in the other way Trump is dangerous - inciting dissention and violence - he told his supporters a few days ago that the only possible way he could lose Pennsylvania is if the election was rigged. Of course he doesn't define "rigged" which should itself tell you how dumb anyone would have to be to give credence to this kind of statement, but more importantly, the latest polls have him down about 11% in that state. Pretty amazing. He literally tells people that the only way they won't win is if the other side cheats, and calls Obama a "divider".