has poker improved other parts of your life?

Playing poker online has completely killed my interest in video games. Now without money on the line I have little motivation to play games.Last year my poker mentality helped me after getting arrested on suspicion of DWI. I wasn't drunk, but had alcohol in me. The cop arrested me, took me to the station and gave me one last chance to get out of it. He said, "If you take this test and pass it, I'll give you your keys back and let you out." I distinctly remember looking at the breathalyzer and thinking to myself, "Do I want to go all-in on this?" I decided to fold and spend the night in the slammer.My attorney later explained that even if I had passed the cop would not have freed me after my initial arrest. The test could only have hurt my case; in a sense he was on a freeroll at my expense. Subsequently, the DWI charges were dropped and I pled guilty to a reckless driving.

Poker has helped me in terms of thinking mathematically and analytically....I was a Psych major when I went to school so it's nice to find a hobby where I can actually apply a small portion of that. And it is definitely cheaper than some of the other hobbies I have had over the last few years...unfortunately (and expectedly) I have had a few friends try to make a living playing just poker. They were all OK players, but none were fantastic; they simply got caught up in all of the malarkey surrounding NLHE these days....of the few that tried it, 3 have gone completely broke and are back to living at home, and another one got sent to the hospital for deck rigging. If I didn't make it obvious, these aren't the brightest bulbs on the planet....still, it is a game that can bring you intense joy and sorrow, often times in the same hand.

I am a lot more analytical about everyday life... and I think in terms of EV for a lot of things too. I basically echo JW and wrto... it's weird how it makes you interact with people.And I sleep bad, eat bad, and party way too much anyway. Poker doesn't really contribute to that, I'd still be a party-hard kind of guy either way.