• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They say the same thing in Fargo, the movie, Tim, and it was no more true then. It's just a joke.

Just saw the first ep... already addicted. I just wanted to yell "I'm going on an adventure!"

show is friggn fantastic.

The show is okay, I think it dropped off a bit but I love the jump forward a year. Lester's character is awesome, although it's kind of like Breaking Bad: Minnesota.

A few gripes:

What happened to Oliver Platt? It's weird to not see him for many episodes, after he'd been a fairly major character. Yeah I guess he kind of got to some kind of resolution, but not really, and I want more.

There have been too many references to the movie. Platt finding Buscemi's cash was great, but it was enough, and was an actual plot point and not just a reference for the sake of referencing. There have been at least 4 or 5 other references to the movie, a few of them overt and directly parallel dialog, which haven't served any purpose except to make us say "Oh hey, that's from the movie."

- There was Oliver Platt arguing with the parking attendant - "I changed my mind, I decided not to park here."

- There was the lady cop talking to the deaf hitman in his hospital bed - "And it's a beautiful day..." which is one of the most memorable lines in the film.

- There was the lady cop in bed with Hanks Jr. - "We're doing alright" or something (I'm pretty sure that was lifted from the movie, although I haven't seen it in years).

- There was the lady cop's awkward restaurant dinner with her old friend, which wasn't directly out of the movie but pretty close.

- I think there was also something with Billy Bob and a hooker which mimicked Buscemi's conversation with a hooker.

Anyway, I still like it. I think it sagged for a couple episodes but I liked the latest one a lot. Odenkirk and Billy Bob and Freeman and the lady cop are all excellent.

Yea, and they use a similar accent. And there's snow.

I don't understand this gripe, especially when you're admitting that 60% of the scenes you're talking about might not be accurate. If you knew about more film and TV, you'd probably notice dozens of other nods to cinema. I don't see why this is a bad thing.

• Like 2

Yea, and they use a similar accent. And there's snow.

I don't understand this gripe, especially when you're admitting that 60% of the scenes you're talking about might not be accurate. If you knew about more film and TV, you'd probably notice dozens of other nods to cinema. I don't see why this is a bad thing.

A couple of them I'm a bit vague on, but a couple of them were direct dialog parallels. They weren't offhand references, they were precise recreations of scenes from the movie and I felt that it took me out of the world of the show. Mainly the parking scene and the "it's a beautiful day" speech.

I don't see what purpose those recreations serve except to be "cute" or something, and they're distracting.

A couple of them I'm a bit vague on, but a couple of them were direct dialog parallels. They weren't offhand references, they were precise recreations of scenes from the movie and I felt that it took me out of the world of the show. Mainly the parking scene and the "it's a beautiful day" speech.

I don't see what purpose those recreations serve except to be "cute" or something, and they're distracting.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Thoughts on the series finale? I thought it was pretty okay, but I definitely felt let down by the show overall. It started out brilliantly but lost steam. I still think it's weird that we heard nothing else from Oliver Platt after the fish rain, and I wanted something more from Billy Bob. Maybe they could have tied his apparent omnipotence in with Platt more, because as much as Billy Bob was playing at biblical prophecies with all his pranks on Platt, he also was basically a ghost and operated with impunity. I dunno, I wanted more from both of them.

The bumbling FBI agents were also overly slapstick for me. I mean yeah they were kinda funny, but the show tries to be gritty and dark and empty on the one hand, and then adds in over the top goofiness from the FBI on the other hand, and I didn't think it really worked. Odenkirk though was fantastic.

Overall I enjoyed the show, I was just disappointed that it didn't maintain the level of greatness that it had for the first handful of episodes.

can anyone explain Malvo's motivation for leaving Lester's house after getting Lester cornered?

I can't figure out why he left him alone at that point.

I also can't figure out why he didn't kill him in the elevator in Vegas, but instead let him flee and then stalked him all the way back to Minnesota in order to kill him.

But I think the reason he left him after cornering him was because he was too injured to do anything else. He knew Lester had a gun and was too hurt to wait him out.