• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As opposed to all the other productive stuff that gets done around here? lol

He'd just give it up anyways.

Look at that undrafted too-short hockey player with an Olympic gold medal hanging around his neck!

Well, to me, it's kind of like a 5-2 game where the guy who scored 3rd is credited with GWG.

I find that a stupid stat to begin with, and give it very little weight, but if I had to pick a gwg, it would be Rads.

In the 5-2 game the GWG is determined by what the other team does. The other team wasn't allowed another shootout attempt in this case because Kovalchuk's goal won the game.

And yes, the stat is stupid.

In the 5-2 game the GWG is determined by what the other team does. The other team wasn't allowed another shootout attempt in this case because Kovalchuk's goal won the game.

I agree. Tatar should have been given some kind of credit. Because the bottom four of my pool lineup are crushing the top 6. Expecially Grabner

Subban and St. Louis are the scratches. Canada is dumb

Ya, I just dont get it.

I haven't had much chance to watch any of the games, so I'm not going to act like I know how they have played, but I cant imagine based on what I'm reading Kunitz > St.Louis, Hamhuis > Subban.

I agree. Tatar should have been given some kind of credit. Because the bottom four of my pool lineup are crushing the top 6. Expecially Grabner

You want Tatar to get something for missing on the shootout? A participation medal?

Before Zach corrects you. It's one assist.

They are shaking up all the lines to change his linemates. Not sure if it's a bigger deal than it is , or just something for the media to talk about

It's singled out because it's Crosby, but the goal is to find lines that work for EVERYONE. Every line is being shuffled until they find something that works. Looks like they found something with Getzlaf/Perry/Duchene, but the rest of the lines are jumbled up. It's not about Crosby, he's just the best player, so gets the attention.

Jeff Carter scored a hat trick in like 8 minutes of ice time, after having a pretty brutal game the day before. I think we're all smart enough here to know that stats after 2 games don't mean much.

SVK Handzus misses on a shootout.

RUS Radulov scores on a shootout.

SVK Tatar misses on a shootout.

RUS Kovalchuk scores on a shootout.

RUS wins shootout and Radulov credited with GWG.

DUMB!

that is pretty stupid

If Radulov's goal was the winner then why did Kovalchuk shoot? It seems to me that the game wasn't won until Kovalchuk scored, no?

Is this real life?

Dale, you are the king whiner. My goodness. Always finding something.

They have a stat in the NHL called Game Deciding Goals, which tracks the shootout winning goal. It works the same as it does here.

Subban and St. Louis are the scratches. Canada is dumb

Yes.

============================

I just finished the game. Canada looked pretty solid again, but Finland did a good job of keeping them to the outside, and Rask played quite well.

I really liked Crosby/Bergeron together, but Benn didn't do anything noteworthy. I'd try St. Louis there next game, or perhaps Sharp. Duchene or Perry too, but they won't break up that line with Getzlaf.

I'd absolutely love to see a Crosby/Toews line, but I don't think you can do that, since a Toews-centered line is a phenomenal 1B.

Sharp and Tavares looked good on that 4th line. Kunitz actually had a pretty good game too.

I like Toews/Carter, but Marleau hasn't done much this tourney. Seems like a weird combination, but it wasn't bad or anything.

I'm upset we need to wait until Wednesday for another game!

Very good preliminary round with a handful of really good games. Some observations. Some thoughts I have biases going in but look beyond that.

USA--- what they have that is by far the best is forward speed. They are flying led by Kessel. Kane and Parise haven't contributed realll yet. Good goaltending. Solid defence.

Canada. They are gifted naturally. What they have that no country can match is the back end. When you can scratch the Norris winner it's obvious you are stacked. Good goaltending. I don't think they are as deep as the USA scoring wise on the big ice . ,Up for debate sure. Done as advertised. Solid.

Russia. As advertised top end exciting superstar explosive talent. However team of individuals. Don't play as a team. Struggled there way thru the first part of tourney. Still can work thru it and win this tourney.

Sweden. Haven't really been tested that much. 3 good wins. Great team led by superstar Karllson. We will see how they do against stiffer competition.

Switzerland. They have impressed me a lot. Total team that plays a defensive yet fast skating game that creates chances. They don't have the finishers like other countries. But they will give Canada a battle (after bearing Latvia). Great goalie. Can upset anyone in this tourney.

Finland. Great goaltending. Good team from top to bottom. Rask almost bear Canada by himself.

I think these will be your medal contenders. It sucks that we won't have a Canada USA matchup in the final. They will meet in semis if they win.

I don't think Finland will win a medal without their top 3 centers.

My guess is Canada, USA, Sweden in whatever order.

Finland/Russia in the quarters will be for 4th.

USA/CAN in the semis will produce the gold medal winner (and the bronze) (with all due respect to Sweden, who will get silver.)

Pretty great article talking about Crosby's impact on the team. Makes a ton of sense.

http://www.sportsnet...s-immeasurable/

I don't know, seems like its reaching.

Also, Switzerland will beat Canada.

There is something off about this team, I just don't know what it is.

• Like 1

Pretty great article talking about Crosby's impact on the team. Makes a ton of sense.

http://www.sportsnet...s-immeasurable/

I don't know, seems like its reaching.

Also, Switzerland will beat Canada.

There is something off about this team, I just don't know what it is.

Some comments from others.

Yeah, Crosby has done a great job of shutting down the top lines of Austria and Norway. This column is a joke right?

take out Crosby's name and insert ANYONE else on team Canada they all want the gold and would sacrifice stats to achieve it that does'nt make Crosby special

"Crosby hasn't been on the ice for a goal against." Neither has over half the team; it's only allowed two goals all tournament.

I'm not knocking Crosby but the article reads like fanboy excuses.

The main point is that because Crosby faces the best defensive players on the other teams it allows things to open up more for other players on Canada because of the great depth but that would be true no matter who was considered to be Canada's top player.

The point isn't that becuase Crosby is alive it means that other players play against worse players. The point is that because Canada has great depth other teams can't match that depth.

• Like 2

It's singled out because it's Crosby, but the goal is to find lines that work for EVERYONE. Every line is being shuffled until they find something that works. Looks like they found something with Getzlaf/Perry/Duchene, but the rest of the lines are jumbled up. It's not about Crosby, he's just the best player, so gets the attention.

Jeff Carter scored a hat trick in like 8 minutes of ice time, after having a pretty brutal game the day before. I think we're all smart enough here to know that stats after 2 games don't mean much.

Is this real life?

Dale, you are the king whiner. My goodness. Always finding something.

They have a stat in the NHL called Game Deciding Goals, which tracks the shootout winning goal. It works the same as it does here.

Yes.

============================

I just finished the game. Canada looked pretty solid again, but Finland did a good job of keeping them to the outside, and Rask played quite well.

I really liked Crosby/Bergeron together, but Benn didn't do anything noteworthy. I'd try St. Louis there next game, or perhaps Sharp. Duchene or Perry too, but they won't break up that line with Getzlaf.

I'd absolutely love to see a Crosby/Toews line, but I don't think you can do that, since a Toews-centered line is a phenomenal 1B.

Sharp and Tavares looked good on that 4th line. Kunitz actually had a pretty good game too.

I like Toews/Carter, but Marleau hasn't done much this tourney. Seems like a weird combination, but it wasn't bad or anything.

I'm upset we need to wait until Wednesday for another game!

You calling me the king whiner is hilarious!!!!!

Why is it whining when I voice my opinion on something I think is dumb? Because I have Kovalchuk? Well, Dubey has Radulov and if Dubey wins I actually win more money than I would if I win.

Some of us actually have opinions that aren't just self-serving.

• Like 1

Some of us actually have opinions that aren't just self-serving.

I just want Gold in hockey. I also agree with Arp, something seems to be missing from the team. Can't put my finger on it.

I just want Gold in hockey. I also agree with Arp, something seems to be missing from the team. Can't put my finger on it.

You will get it.

In women's.

You will get it.

In women's.

as much as I like to see this I think the USA are much hungrier and faster than us Canadians

However

Go Canada Go

Serge let me know if you want that signed Amanda kessel USA puck

• Like 1