Italian Cruise Ship Sinking

i heard the Captain was banging John Jacob Astor's wife in his stateroom at the time of alleged collision...
lol very funnyI hear the Captain called for a cab as soon as he hit shore. And that Russian millionaires were buying up spots on the lifeboats.I hear Roberto Benigni is already working on a screenplay and he will star as the Captain.

Take the $20K ish guaranteed settlement or ride out a class action lawsuit that could take years and years for an unknown amount (but estimated between $164K - 1.3 million each (half of which goes to attorneys)) ?http://abcnews.go.com/Business/costa-cruis...82#.TyMivYH-glQAlmost two weeks after the Costa Concordia cruise ship sank off the coast of Italy, leaving at least 16 people dead and 19 missing, Costa Cruises is offering uninjured passengers $14,460, or 11,000 euros each to compensate for mental trauma and lost baggage. Costa Cruises said it is also reimbursing passengers for the full costs of their cruise and travel and medical expenses incurred after the grounding.Passengers who do not participate in this deal could pursue legal action on their own. Some consumer groups have been active in a criminal case against the captain of the ship, Francesco Schettino. Under house arrest, he is accused of manslaughter and abandoning the ship.Italian consumer group, Codacons, has engaged two U.S. law firms to launch a class-action lawsuit against Costa and Carnival in Miami, claiming that it expects to get anywhere from euro125,000 ($164,000) to euro1 million ($1.3 million) per passenger, the AP reports.

I don't see how anyone, unless they are severely injured, could justify a million dollars for this.I mean, you got part of your cruise, your money back, and an amazing vacation story that makes everyone else's seem lame.The only justification for that kind of money would be persistent medical bills or actual loss of income.I can see getting double or triple your money back for the cruise, just for losing what could be a once-in-a-lifetime vacation.

The only justification for that kind of money would be persistent medical bills or actual loss of income.
Surely they will claim some kind of post-traumatic stress problem. Now may now be afraid of boats for the rest of their lives.
Surely they will claim some kind of post-traumatic stress problem.
Credibly so. Negligently thrusting someone into a life or death situation- during which several people were actually killed- is a pretty big deal. It's like victims of rape. Some are able to blow it off as an 'eh' kind of thing, others are seriously traumatized for life. The law has to assume the worst case scenario.
Credibly so. Negligently thrusting someone into a life or death situation- during which several people were actually killed- is a pretty big deal.
Yeah, some people who were maybe seconds away from drowning in dark, icy water aren't going to just brush it off as an awesome vacation story.
It's like victims of rape. Some are able to blow it off as an 'eh' kind of thing
I feel like this is rare.
I feel like this is rare.
Victimology-hysteria is a relatively new thing. I don't think it's as rare as you might think. Same thing with childhood sexual abuse. The narrative changed significantly in the 80's, when hysterics overwhelmed reason. There definitely are victims of rape, childhood sexual abuse who are virtually destroyed by it, but some are hardly effected. It's really the same thing with being the victim of any kind of crime.Some people get mugged and become deeply paranoid shut ins for the rest of their lives, others are far more resilient. They take it as an "Eh, asshole mugger" sort of thing and it's really not that big of a deal to their overall psyche. Still, laws should always incline to addressing the worst case scenario. In this case, it would be severe (and very credible) PTSD.The weirdest thing about PTSD is that it doesn't always manifest itself right away. I went through a pretty severe bout with it after my 'involvement' with the legal system and subsequent release from said. It still jumps out of the bushes at the strangest times. It sucks. Sure as the sun rises, there are going to be passengers on this ship who are laughing and joking about the whole thing today but some random point in the future are going to have shit to deal with.Dismissing it as "AWESOME VACATION STORY, BRO!" may be true for some, but not others.
Victimology-hysteria is a relatively new thing. I don't think it's as rare as you might think. Same thing with childhood sexual abuse. The narrative changed significantly in the 80's, when hysterics overwhelmed reason. There definitely are victims of rape, childhood sexual abuse who are virtually destroyed by it, but some are hardly effected. It's really the same thing with being the victim of any kind of crime.Some people get mugged and become deeply paranoid shut ins for the rest of their lives, others are far more resilient. They take it as an "Eh, asshole mugger" sort of thing and it's really not that big of a deal to their overall psyche. Still, laws should always incline to addressing the worst case scenario. In this case, it would be severe (and very credible) PTSD.The weirdest thing about PTSD is that it doesn't always manifest itself right away. I went through a pretty severe bout with it after my 'involvement' with the legal system and subsequent release from said. It still jumps out of the bushes at the strangest times. It sucks. Sure as the sun rises, there are going to be passengers on this ship who are laughing and joking about the whole thing today but some random point in the future are going to have shit to deal with.Dismissing it as "AWESOME VACATION STORY, BRO!" may be true for some, but not others.
I think this is spot on. Solid book about this phenomenon in relation to child sex abuse: The Trauma Myth: The Truth About the Sexual Abuse of Children--and Its AftermathFew would argue that the experience of sexual abuse is deeply traumatic for a child. But in this explosive new book, psychologist Susan Clancy reports on years of research and contends that it is not the abuse itself that causes trauma—but rather the narrative that is later imposed on the abuse experience. Clancy demonstrates that the most common feeling victims report is not fear or panic, but confusion. Because children don’t understand sexual encounters in the same ways that adults do, they normally accommodate their perpetrators— something they feel intensely ashamed about as adults. The professional assumptions about the nature of childhood trauma can harm victims by reinforcing these feelings. Survivors are thus victimized not only by their abusers but also by the industry dedicated to helping them. Path-breaking and controversial, The Trauma Myth empowers survivors to tell their own stories, and radically reshapes our understanding of abuse and its aftermath.
If its true they did that, they should hang. What I'm hearing is that the ship suffered an impact event of some kind, the Captain realized it was going to sink so he ran the ship aground, then bailed without bothering to shepherd everyone off. Per libertarian theory, the passengers made a decision for themselves to patronize a company that employed Italian captains, thus acts of cowardice in crisis-events should have been expected. If they wanted brave captains with a high sense of duty-bound honor, they should've paid more for the cruise line that employed the British. As far as running into an island, I don't think he ran smack into an island, but rather ran it to a depth that was too shallow given the ships draft.
Makes me think of a possible titantic scenerio.If instead of attempting to drive around the berg, if they just went all back and hit it head on, they prolly woulda just stuck in the berg instead of sinking.The captain woulda just been called an idiot, but 1700 people may have lived.
If instead of attempting to drive around the berg, if they just went all back and hit it head on, they prolly woulda just stuck in the berg instead of sinking.
I don't know who wins in a Giant Iceberg v. Early 20th c Superliner Hull battle of structural integrity, but I know motion/momentum plays a primary role in the forces imparted on any surface (which is why jumping off a high bridge into water can kill you). Intuitively, I don't feel the hull would hold to allow the boat to become 'stuck' up before the momentum of the ship forcing the hull onto the iceberg started ripping it open.Once watched a show on icebreaker ships that articulated the difference between an icebreaker hull and a regular ships hull. Its pretty significant, and that' just to punch through relatively thin sheet ice, not collide with huge floating icebergs.