Dedicated Home Theater

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today we built the top & bottom panels to go above and below the screen in black velvet. I raised the screen a bit to be snug with the soffit as well.I'd say it turned out better than I ever thought :club:screenwall.jpgscreenwall2.jpg

The screen looks awesome all blocked out with the background like that, amazing job Gov. Do you have an access panel in there somewhere so you can get to the speakers if necessary?

The screen looks awesome all blocked out with the background like that, amazing job Gov. Do you have an access panel in there somewhere so you can get to the speakers if necessary?
Thx AdamYea the bottom panel isn't even attached right now, it's so snug it's crammed in there and isn't moving at all. My plan was (and really still is) to velcro the top and bottom panel in place so they can easily be removed. Just have to crawl under the screen to get back there though. It's about a 30" gap below the screen. Not ideal but works.

Well I was a little too ambitious thinking I could get paint done by Saturday (Xmas party at our house). I'd rather have it a clean usable room with baseboards & trim installed instead. So my dad (thankfully) is coming up today to add the trim around the pocket doors & put on baseboards where needed. Hopefully he'll prime the back wall too :club: We added some trim yesterday around the rack and then did a lot of clean up work to make the room a little nicer.Next items would be:Paint, build riser platform for back row, then carpet but we'll call that phase 2 because I don't plan to do that till the new year. I need a break. Pretty damn happy with the results so far though. It looks & sounds amazing.Current Statusdec15backwall1.jpgdec15frontwall1.jpgscreenshot1gp.jpgscreenshot2yo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, we painted the ceiling on Sunday and the walls today. Next is trim, doors & window (will be painted the darker ceiling colour) then build the back riser platform.paint1a.jpgpaint2x.jpgpaint3b.jpgpaint4n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

So I finally got back in to this build again. Built the riser today for the back row.

It's nothing fancy, 4' x 5' and 8" in height. Here are the pics:

riser1.jpg

riser2.jpg

riser3.jpg

Also, since my screen in 2.35:1, standard 16x9 HD content produces gray vertical bars on the sides. So I made some simple masking panels, wrapped in velvet that just wedge tight in to the frame.

I made the panels out of insulation foamboard and pulling the velvet tight is a bit hard with such light material. So I placed some books on the board to weight it down a bit. Made it much easier.

masking2h.jpg

Here is the result (Scroll up to an above post to see it without the panels). Now HDTV looks like it's floating in space and the perceived contrast really makes it pop.

masking5.jpg

masking6.jpg

maskingscreenshot.jpg