2011 March Madness Pool

March Madness! Enjoy the games everybody!http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/bl...urn=ncaab-wp601The greatest sports day of the year is upon us. Before the start of the 2011 NCAA tournament, The Dagger takes you through each of the 16 Thursday games to help you choose the ones to watch throughout the afternoon and evening:Before the gamesBe sure to acquaint yourself with the channel numbers for CBS, TBS, TNT and truTV on your cable system. This may involve you finding truTv on your dial for the first time. Once you've identified all the channels, practice some simple remote control number scales to keep your fingers and mind dexterous. (For example, flip from CBS to TNT to TBS to TruTV and back, five times.)The early sessionNoon -- CBS -- West Virginia (5) vs. Clemson (12)12:30 PM -- truTV-- Butler (8) vs. Old Dominion (9)1:30 PM -- TBS -- Louisville (4) vs. Morehead State (13)2:00 PM -- TNT -- Temple (7) vs. Penn State (10)The traditional wave of games at noon Eastern are gone, replaced with a staggered start of four tips over a 90-minute span. Thankfully, the broadcasting networks are easing us into the new format with four decent, but unspectacular, games to kick off the real tournament. (No, the First Four doesn't count.) After starting out your day on CBS (an aside: why is Clemson, which played in a play-in game on Tuesday night, in the early game in Tampa? They couldn't have moved them to the late game? Chalk it up to another NCAA tourney debacle), keep your channel on truTV, if you can find it. Butler-ODU is the best matchup of the early slate and one of the most even games of the day. Temple-Penn State is worth keeping an eye on too. Just don't expect too much offense out of the latter. Both teams play an, uh, deliberate brand of basketball. Yes, deliberate sounds the least insulting.2:30 PM (appx.) -- CBS -- Kentucky (4) vs. Princeton (13)3:00 PM (appx.) -- truTV -- Pittsburgh (1) vs. UNC-Asheville (16)4:00 PM (appx.) -- TBS -- Vanderbilt (5) vs. Richmond (12)4:30 PM (appx.) -- TNT -- San Diego State (2) vs. Northern Colorado (15)And now the benefit of the staggered start. Remember how there used to be about a 90-minute break between the end of the early games and the start of the evening session? That's history thanks to the new TV deal and now we're guaranteed 12 consecutive hours of basketball. (Is this heaven? No, it's truTV.) This isn't a great session by any means, but it's better than anxiously watching the local news and waiting for 7 PM to roll around like in the past.Don't be deceived by the seedings in Vanderbilt-Richmond. Despite the No. 12 by their name, the Spiders have almost a 50-50 chance of beating Vandy, according to Ken Pomeroy's log5 analysis. Kentucky-Princeton sounds like one of those games that's going to be interesting, but so did Kentucky-Cornell last year and that was one of the more unwatchable games of the tourney. The other two games are like all 1/16 and 2/15 matchups: potentially historic, likely lopsided.The late session6:45 PM -- TBS -- Florida (2) vs. UC Santa Barbara (15)7:00 PM -- CBS -- BYU (3) vs. Wofford (14)7:15 PM -- truTV -- Wisconsin (4) vs. Belmont (13)7:15 PM -- TNT -- Connecticut (3) vs. Bucknell (14)Our Jeff Eisenberg spoke with two coaches about the chances of Belmont pulling the upset on Wisconsin. The coach from the Atlantic Sun liked the Bruins chances, while the coach from the Big Ten didn't. (Surprise, surprise.) The early slate of late games features some big seed discrepancies, but don't sleep on the upset chances of the low seeds. Bucknell has pulled the 14/3 upset before (in 2005 when the Bison stunned Kansas), Wofford is playing a BYU team crippled by the loss of its leading rebounder and Florida has been regarded as the worst No. 2 seed in the tournament.9:15 PM (appx.) -- TBS -- UCLA (7) vs. Michigan State (10)9:30 PM (appx.) -- CBS -- St. John's (6) vs. Gonzaga (11)9:45 PM (appx.) -- TNT -- Cincinnati (6) vs. Missouri (11)9:55 PM (appx.) -- truTV -- Kansas State (5) vs. Utah State (12)The NCAA saved the best for last. Take your pick of any of the four late games and you'll be pleased. UCLA-Michigan State is an even matchup featuring two of the more successful basketball programs of the past 50 years, St. John's-Gonzaga features the upstart Johnnies against perennial power Gonzaga, Cincinnati-Missouri allows the Big 12 to get some revenge of the bid-stealing Big East and Kansas State-Utah State is another potential 12/5 upsets that won't be an upset. (Utah State is only a 1.5 point underdog in that one.)After the games, make sure to get a good night's rest. The fun starts again 12 hours later.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok folks looks like we got 20 people making a $400 prize poolWhat do you guys prefer? If you have a different idea post it please.1st $3002nd 100
good with this. cant wait for tommorow.

in... sent $20... can you send me info?oh sorry looks like everything is set already... is it too late? If not, please send $20 back to king_tanner

im on a couple hour break from work. I caught end of Morehead, Temple, and now Kentucky. I feel like I should be drunk right now but I got to go back to work. Next year I'm calling in sick on Th and Fri

im on a couple hour break from work. I caught end of Morehead, Temple, and now Kentucky. I feel like I should be drunk right now but I got to go back to work. Next year I'm calling in sick on Th and Fri
I'm thinking the same thing. Next year take a half day and get 4 tvs set up. I had a 4 tv set up but that was for conference tourneys and video games a few years ago.

Great games so far, fun getting drunk while watching these exciting finishes! Pretty peeved though, picked Morehead in a few brackets but couldn't find the cajones to do it on the money bracket, and had Richmond until I inexplicably decided to change my bracket right before the games!

sounds like dead $$$ :club:
And it only took one day to show itself :(Well... back to two outering!