Interesting night online

I was talking to tek about a pretty bad losing streak today, and i told him I would stop playing for tonight. I fell asleep, then woke up and started playing (i know, i know, stupid).. i joined a low NL table, and lost some money. then switched to the .5/1 limit table and lost some more. So being pissed off with my last 20 dollars.. i sat down at a 2/4 table. first hand got pocket kings, im now up to 50 something dollars.. next hand ace 9 clubs, flop came 599 and someone with pocket kings bet into me the whole time. I was now up to 75 dollars.. I figured i got really lucky and should just leave, but I ruined it all.. and am back to 30 something dollars now.. im such an idiot.

Ok, I tilted badly.. tek was right.. im at 0 dollars now. Im taking a break from online poker, I need to review a few things in my game, then Ill get back to trying to build my bankroll

I think you should review where/why/what/how you play condisering you were way over your head.Even go so far as to start at a micro limit table if you have to.Get your game on track, THEN build you bankroll, THEN move up limits.Sounds to me like you need to organize and prioritize.

Thanks for the comments, but keep in mind I have never played at a table of those limits. I started with 100 dollars at the .5/1 tables. Then when I was up to 200 I played at the 1/2 tables.. A few times when I had a decent amount of money I was playing the .5/1 NL tables. The only reason I sat down at the 2/4 was because I felt like my remaining 20 dollars was just useless, (i know, it was a waste).. but at that point I didn't care if i lost it.

Wow, sorry to hear that BPV....As I mentioned yesterday I think alot of us have been there. I think a few years ago my first 2-3 deposits went that way, lol. I'd get in a losing streak and start pissing the money away in SnGs and playing in games above my limit hoping to double up. Then I realized that I was 'gambling' and not playing sound practical poker. Since I believe that poker is not gambling, I instantly changed my strategies and outlook on poker at that point.Long story short, I went down to the micro limit tables, I think .05/.10 and started working my way up. Within a couple of months I was playing at the .5/1.00 tables and then by the end of the year I was at 2/4 and 3/6. Fortunately I was able to build my roll through smart solid play and NEVER playing on a short bankroll. As I've indicated in previous posts, I'll even play below my limits just to ensure my bankroll is solid enough before I move up just incase I incur a major loss the first week or so at the new limit.Nowadays I don't keep a major portion of my bankroll online, so you'll often find me at the 3/6 limit tables or the 2/4 no-limit tables. When I am playing 4-8 tables at a time I'll even go down to the .25/.50 tables just to get some solid play in and work on some things in my game.Moral of the story is two things really: 1) Don't let ego get in the way of building your bankroll. 2) Don't get angry and start throwing it all away either.Bulding your bankroll from the micro-limits is one of the hardest things to do. I remember thinking "this is going to take forever to get to the 1/2 or 2/4 games" back then. Now I laugh because those limits feel like .05/.10 to me now. So you just have to be patient. Don't jump ship just because you had a good week and are up a decent amount. Make sure you have your 300-500xBB for limit games and 1000xBB for no-limit.If you are experiencing DBB [dreadful bankroll building] disease, then you should put more attention into no-limit micro-limit games to help build it a bit quicker.Anyway best of luck man, and if you need to get pissed at someone just shoot me a PM or e-mail and I'll be your punching bag instead of you throwing away money online. Or maybe I'll sit with you at a table and help you tweak some aspects of your game. Whatever. We're all here to help out.

Thanks tek, and thats the other thing i was thinking about. I think i need to find someone to join me at the tables, I always play better when someone i know is around, or playing with other people. Anyway, ive got another 50 dollars online, and as you said i'll drop down to the .05/.10 tables for a while and see how that goes.

listen, the most important thing in poker is your bankroll, I know it gets repeated over and over again, but it's the truth. YOU WILL NOT WIN when you have like $100 left in your bankroll and your trying to play 1/2, 2/4 or whatever. Your playing with scared money that you can't afford to lose. I know this, because I went bust like 5 or 6 times before I realized it. Just get it into your head not to do this again. Don't be 1 of those players that buys in for $100 at a 5/10 game and constantly buys in again for $100 when they lose. The 1 hand they win when they're all-in is so small because they didn't buy in with enough. It's the same way buying in too little as playing above your bankroll, same concepts, except with your bankroll, your finished and can't play anymore at all.My recommendation is this, save up some money before you decide to play again. Deposit enough into your account where you can comfortably play the limits you want to play. This is the best way to build up your bankroll and you'll build much more confidence as well.

I noticed you guys are talking about NL play- I havn't played much in those tables and was wondering what the average bankroll is of your opponents? It just seems to me that $50 is a little low.Also, how would you compare the $5 or $10 tournaments to the games mentioned above? Which do you find to be the most difficult?Thanks