http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/2...lood/#more-6095August 25, 2010, 6:29 pm Report From a Pashtun Teen: The FloodBy SHER BANOSher Bano is a 17-year-old Pashtun girl from Pakistan who spent last year as an exchange student in Evanston, Illinois, as part of the Youth Exchange and Study (YES) Program. She is now back in the city of Peshawar in the northwest of Pakistan, and has become a regular contributor to “On the Ground.”Outside the rain poured nonstop while inside poured my mom’s tears. We had been informed that my grandmother and cousins were stuck on the rooftops of their houses and surrounded by several feet of flood water. We could not be of any help to them as we were on a family picnic in the mountain resort town of Nathia Gali, about 200 miles east of Peshawar, when the north of Pakistan was hit with flooding. Mohammad Sajjad/Associated Press A young flood survivor walked in search of clean water before the rubble of houses destroyed by heavy floods in Nowshera near Peshawar, Pakistan.KickerDespite the routes being cut off, we left for Peshawar in hopes of helping our relatives. But as we passed through the village of Nowshera, the sight of a lake in its place, along with the panicked faces and the chaos, shocked me. We realized that we were not in a state to help anyone and headed for the highway. We left our car on the road side and walked, crossing broken bridges (on rocks and barrels). I could see some local men taking dead bodies out of the nearby flooded houses. There were no cell phone signals, no traffic police and no one to help but oneself. On the way to Nowshera, taken from my car.This small adventure of mine is nothing compared to what the people of Pakistan have gone through. Pakistan has been hit by the worst flood in its history, affecting 17 million people (according to United Nations estimates), destroying crops, killing millions of people and animals, damaging houses and property and leaving the victims in a miserable situation.This flood brought people living the high life down to… veritable footpaths. There are so many weird stories just from around here. Some of these stories seem like miracles of God, showing that He has not left us alone. A woman put her newborn baby in a water cooler and left it floating in the river waves. The baby was then found alive by a couple several kilometers down the river. The damage floods have done cannot be described in figures and it is not over yet. Even though the water levels are receding in most of the areas, they are leaving behind a whole new world of problems, worse than the ones that already exist.The areas from where the water receded look like scenes from a Hollywood catastrophe movie. There is an aura of creepy silence in the markets, depression among the people, a stench that will make one vomit (which my dad actually did) and piles of filth and mud everywhere. The camps that have been set up for displaced people do not have many facilities. There is not enough food, a major drinking water problem, few shelters, diseases like diarrhea and hepatitis spreading, and a major hygiene problem. This is the son of our housekeeper, who sat outside my house in Nowshera (where he has been living with his family). He was resting after helping us get the broken furniture out of the house. His uncle had just been bitten by a snake and his dad had gotten injured when this picture was taken.The people here are highly unsatisfied with the government. One can’t deny that the government has issues. But the truth is that there are too many victims and not enough resources and skilled labor to repair everything. Besides, the government is already faced with the war or terror and the already existing economic crisis. According to the Provincial Information Minister of Khyber Pakhtoonkhwa, there were only two helicopters—and millions of people to save—when the flood first hit. Some NGOs, the Army, and foreign relief agencies are actively helping. The local people who survived the floods are also doing their utmost to help those affected. I myself am part of a community service group with iEARN (International Education and Resource Network). But the unfortunate fact is that most of these efforts are disorganized and ill-planned. This means that some people are getting substantial levels of assistance…while others are getting no help at all. ‘The iEARN office, filled with relief packages.Flood victims must obtain necessities (like food, clothing, and tents) from others as they have no money and no jobs. Some of them are practically professional beggars at this point. The dirt around us has also muddied our conscience and minds; to realize that this aid will not continue forever and that we will need to stand on our own feet is overwhelming. When people are fighting each other for food, there’s not much energy left for planning for the future. I think that the first major step in rehabilitating the flooded areas would be a cleaning program. If we don’t start one now, the death rates will multiply. We, Pakistanis, can’t expect our governments to do much, as they cannot! We need to unite! We also request that foreign organizations continue to help. However, I don’t think they should send more food, water or clothes as there are already many agencies working on that. I want aid organizations and workers to come here (instead of sending their money) to help us clean our streets with the modern technological devices we lack. This can also become a source of employment for Pakistanis whose jobs were washed away with their homes. Flood victims in Charsadda waited for food packages.It’s a known fact that terrorist activities are sometimes initiated in my country. With no sign of a bright future, no education and no optimism, some Pakistanis might be encouraged to adapt the wrong ways of life, like embracing terrorism (maybe in the name of Islam). This is not a threat, but a bitter reality. Thus, the situation needs to be improved before it slips out of our hands. How to Help:Most of us are probably unable to follow Sher’s advice and fly to Pakistan to join efforts on the ground. But the following organizations are accepting donations (and sending trained relief workers to Pakistan):Developments in LiteracyAvaazInternational Rescue CommitteeUnicefThe Pakistan Relief FundSave the ChildrenCatholic Relief ServicesDoctors Without BordersIslamic Relief USA
Flood victims in Charsadda waited for food packages.It’s a known fact that terrorist activities are sometimes initiated in my country. With no sign of a bright future, no education and no optimism, some Pakistanis might be encouraged to adapt the wrong ways of life, like embracing terrorism (maybe in the name of Islam). This is not a threat, but a bitter reality. Thus, the situation needs to be improved before it slips out of our hands.
Wait.It is a "bitter reality" that because of terrible floods "some Pakistanis might be encouraged to adapt the wrong ways of life, like embracing terrorism"?So terrorism is a natural response to a natural disaster?Does that mean that sunny skies and cotton candy leads to tolerance and universal acceptance and adapting the right ways of life (apparently NOT Islam)?
Wait.It is a "bitter reality" that because of terrible floods "some Pakistanis might be encouraged to adapt the wrong ways of life, like embracing terrorism"?So terrorism is a natural response to a natural disaster?Does that mean that sunny skies and cotton candy leads to tolerance and universal acceptance and adapting the right ways of life (apparently NOT Islam)?
Desperate people often are easily influenced.The Pakistan Floods are without equal really. A full 20% of the country in under water. That's an area the size of the entire State of Florida. It really is a horrible situation but since these are Muslims I guess they don't count.Edit: Not recognizing what some of the causes of radicalization are or not even seeming to want to know is counter productive but if you just want to demonize them go right ahead and you'll be just as wrong as the people chanting Death To America in the streets.
Desperate people often are easily influenced.The Pakistan Floods are without equal really. A full 20% of the country in under water. That's an area the size of the entire State of Florida. It really is a horrible situation but since these are Muslims I guess they don't count.
Well to be fair, they are Muslims AND Pakistani's.
Desperate people often are easily influenced.The Pakistan Floods are without equal really. A full 20% of the country in under water. That's an area the size of the entire State of Florida. It really is a horrible situation but since these are Muslims I guess they don't count.
Yeah. That's clearly what I said or implied. Thanks for that.
Well, unfortunately when people are starving or watching their children starve feeding them kinda becomes a priorty. During the Earthquake in the region a few years back the Taliban actually did a very good job of getting aid to people since they were more familiar and used to the area, plus had millions of Saudi money backing them. When they move in and take children with the promise of life and put them in madrassas or terrorists training camps it is at least some hope for the parents. Keep in mind this is a large, vastly illiterate and very very poor area. People would much prefer our aide, overwhelmingly but you take what you can get. I have been a huge supporter of building schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan for a few years as this is the best way to keep people from letting their children go the madrassas or to the Taliban. Educated women are vastly more likely to not let their children go to them as well. We can build 100 schools for the cost of one American soldier per year. I am not dissing the military either as we need them as well.
It is a "bitter reality" that because of terrible floods "some Pakistanis might be encouraged to adapt the wrong ways of life, like embracing terrorism"?So terrorism is a natural response to a natural disaster?Does that mean that sunny skies and cotton candy leads to tolerance and universal acceptance and adapting the right ways of life (apparently NOT Islam)?
Look at New Orleans after Katrina. After about two days of flooding, the whole place was anarchy. Imagine days, weeks of that. Imagine a lifetime. The veil of civilization is quite thin and easily blown away.

We should help because we should help, not because it might turn one child away from terrorism.Besides, any effort we make will be completely ineffectual to the other 60 years of life that these people get.What do you guys think about the Taliban saying they will kill any workers who they catch in their country?Should we go in armed?How will that be perceived?

Look at New Orleans after Katrina. After about two days of flooding, the whole place was anarchy. Imagine days, weeks of that. Imagine a lifetime. The veil of civilization is quite thin and easily blown away.
Well the one thing Pakistan has going for it that New Orleans didn't was that the democrats are not in complete control in Pakistan.
Well the one thing Pakistan has going for it that New Orleans didn't was that the democrats are not in complete control in Pakistan.
yeah they're pretty conservative over there. HOWS THAT WORKING OUT BUD?
yeah they're pretty conservative over there. HOWS THAT WORKING OUT BUD?
They got nukes and half the world is scared of them...I guess it's working pretty good.
They should nuke the floods.
If they were true conservatives they would invade India, which would be so awesome for America.First we would get our entire troubleshooting telephone market back, second we could totally search for Bin Hiding while the Pakistans are busy, and lastly we could probably set off a couple nukes in Iran and claim they were bad shots by either side.But it would be a bloody war so I cannot support it.

Just got an Email that went something like this. Greetings rich american from the unfortunate floodwaters of pakistan. I have many childs who unfortunately have no meat left. Please send cashiers check or moneyorder to acct on bottom, or my peace loving children of Islam may be tempted to blow up american infidels. Of course Islam is a religion of peace, but times like these require stronger action. P.S. This is not nigerian scam, we are most serious. Remember the bigger the check, the less likely my wonderful children will blow up your wonderful infidels.

So, how much do you think I should send? I'd say a 20 should cover me, right? What the going rate on jihad these days?
Just tell them you support their building a mosque at a site destroyed by the 9-11 attackers.Some people think that will make them not kill you.Plus it will save you $20