Teaching Evolution To 3rd Graders

Yes, it is nice that many christians are able to act rationally during some facets of their lives. This fact makes it all the more tragic when they choose to stick their heads in the sand to protect their precious childhood fantasies that gives society morality and has shown itself to be the most positive thing for civilization with an end result of going to Heaven
Yea..I don't think tragic here means what you think it means
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that they get you guys to do things with the promise of a reward after you are dead makes this one of the most impressive sales scams of all time.
The fact that you believe that you completely cease to exist is the bigger scam.My scam results in me being happier, better adjusted, and a better citizen.
The fact that you believe that you completely cease to exist is the bigger scam.
There was a time in the past when I didn't exist. (sad times, I know). I don't see why there wouldn't be in the future. I guess you humble religion guys have trouble letting go of your egos long enough to consider that the world would not stop without you.
My scam results in me being happier, better adjusted, and a better citizen.
and voting for Sarah Palin.
"Louis Pasteur's theory of germs is ridiculous fiction". Pierre Pachet, Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872 Pasteur = ChristianPachet = Scientific community.
Pasteur was a professor, so he also was a part of the scientific community. I'm not sure why you insist on sprinkling stupidity on what could otherwise be a reasonable point - that Christians have done a lot of science.
Pasteur was a professor, so he also was a part of the scientific community. I'm not sure why you insist on sprinkling stupidity on what could otherwise be a reasonable point - that Christians have done a lot of science.
You're just saying that because crow is gone and you are hoping vb doesn't go after you.And my point was less than equally stupid to the statement I was arguing that Christians are non-scientific.I really don't get how you could miss that obvious point.
There was a time in the past when I didn't exist. (sad times, I know). I don't see why there wouldn't be in the future.
Which brings me to one of my favorite quotes of all time, by Mark Twain:"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
And my point was less than equally stupid to the statement I was arguing that Christians are non-scientific.
I'm asking you to aim a little higher so that we don't get stuck in superficial discussions.
Which brings me to one of my favorite quotes of all time, by Mark Twain:"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
That's your favorite quote of all time?Not "Ask not what your country can do for you..."Not " At times in the course of human endeavors... "Not "A small step for man.."You pick one where Twain claims that he existed before he was born, but in a state of death?"It doesn't even make sense. I mean come on, you're the smart one around here."What this country needs is a good $.05 cigar"
I'm asking you to aim a little higher so that we don't get stuck in superficial discussions.
Weird that you place this burden on me here, look at all the threads started, look at the stupid stuff vb posts, look at what is said about Christians, the Bible and actual history.Crazy Pills
So evolution isn't normal?Pasteur was not some single guy, he kind of discovered some earth changing stuff.The history of science is filled with great men ( usually Christians ) who bucked the scientific community and proved things that the establishment fought tooth and nail.Pretending that the scientific community wasn't forced into the light by Christians is just a dodge.You guys can't even give in one smidgen of your side. Not even a little bit. The fear of the whole thing tumbling down must weigh heavy.The correct answer is that during this time in the history of the world, only 'wealthy' people could send their children to college, and most 'wealthy' people had to deal with paying homage to the church etc. As such it was much more likely that a man would be a Christian if he was educated. THEREFORE of course most innovated discoveries were made by Christians, they were the predominate group in predominately Christian nations.But you guys can't see the obvious because you have to spend every effort to not give in an inch.And you are worse for it.I can of course give in when your side is winning because I actually believe in my side of the argument, as such I don't fear any facts. Your side doesn't have this luxury. Of course you claim that giving in anywhere will be met with triumphant declarations by the other side...but SO WHAT? The truth doesn't care who gets the credit does it? then why do you guys have to fight so hard not to give any credit at all to anything that makes Christians look good?2-3 times.Atheist used to put tens of thousands of people to death for wearing glasses because that implied they were learned.Therefore Christianity >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AtheismAgain
Well, most were Christians because if you weren't and said something crazy like the earth wasn't the center of the universe you would be hung, burned, quartered and tortured, mostly by order of the pope or his legions of priests but what the hell. You are right, alot of them were Christians.
Well, most were Christians because if you weren't and said something crazy like the earth wasn't the center of the universe you would be hung, burned, quartered and tortured, mostly by order of the pope or his legions of priests but what the hell. You are right, alot of them were Christians.
And for those of you who care about facts, there is this thing called history. Look it up
So evolution isn't normal?
I don't know what that question means. "Normal" is possibly the least-descriptive adjective that exists. Is magnetism "normal?" It's a fairly meaningless question and I don't know how to answer it.
Atheist used to put tens of thousands of people to death for wearing glasses because that implied they were learned.
Who, where, and when?!? Are you talking about the Nazis? Because if so, you should probably swap 'Nazis' for 'atheists.' Like, are you trying to say that atheists are anti-learning? That's preposterous and blatantly false.
You guys can't even give in one smidgen of your side. Not even a little bit. The fear of the whole thing tumbling down must weigh heavy.The correct answer is that during this time in the history of the world, only 'wealthy' people could send their children to college, and most 'wealthy' people had to deal with paying homage to the church etc. As such it was much more likely that a man would be a Christian if he was educated. THEREFORE of course most innovated discoveries were made by Christians, they were the predominate group in predominately Christian nations.
Huh? I'll give you more than a smidgen, I'll give you the whole thing. Christians invented science and every major scientific achievement in the history of humanity has been discovered by a Christian individual. There. Except for the fact that it's obviously untrue, it wouldn't bother me. It would however be surprising since Christianity, as a philosophy, is not inherently inquisitive about the nature of the physical world and in fact Christianity, or at least various large groups of Christians, have at innumerable times throughout history rallied against scientific discovery because it disagreed with their religious philosophies. In other words, sure tons of Christians have made scientific discoveries, but so have tons of people with brown hair, and tons of people whose last name starts with a vowel. It doesn't mean there's any relation between the two.The idea that a person can be a member of either Christianity or "the scientific community" (but not both) is ridiculous.
Huh? I'll give you more than a smidgen, I'll give you the whole thing. Christians invented science and every major scientific achievement in the history of humanity has been discovered by a Christian individual. There. Except for the fact that it's obviously untrue, it wouldn't bother me. It would however be surprising since Christianity, as a philosophy, is not inherently inquisitive about the nature of the physical world and in fact Christianity, or at least various large groups of Christians, have at innumerable times throughout history rallied against scientific discovery because it disagreed with their religious philosophies. In other words, sure tons of Christians have made scientific discoveries, but so have tons of people with brown hair, and tons of people whose last name starts with a vowel. It doesn't mean there's any relation between the two.The idea that a person can be a member of either Christianity or "the scientific community" (but not both) is ridiculous.
To argue that Christians aren't 'inherently inquisitive' but their contributions to science is moot because its not related is slightly flawed.You want to take away with one hand, then pretend you are offering something with the other.Except both hands are empty.If you take a few minutes to actually look, the scientific advancements were challenged more by the scientific community than the church ever did.To pretend that Christians, who founded most of the schools of higher learning in the entire world, have founded most science disciplines, and who contribute to bringing education to the backwoods of the world, to pretend that you can broad brush them as not very caring about science, that's just bigotry.Plain and simple bigotry.
I don't know what that question means. "Normal" is possibly the least-descriptive adjective that exists. Is magnetism "normal?" It's a fairly meaningless question and I don't know how to answer it.
That's one for me.There will be more
Who, where, and when?!? Are you talking about the Nazis? Because if so, you should probably swap 'Nazis' for 'atheists.' Like, are you trying to say that atheists are anti-learning? That's preposterous and blatantly false.
Nazis didn't kill people for wearing glasses, they killed people for not being as evolved as the Aryan race. they weren't atheist per se, they were more strict evolutionist, allowing both atheist and believers corrupted by atheist in their group.I was talking about Pol Pot, the communist. That organization is pretty much atheism personified.
they were more strict evolutionist
I mean, it's disingenuous to pretend that the Nazi belief in Aryan superiority is the same thing as Darwinism. It's almost offensively disingenuous, and I can't possibly argue with a person who says things like 'Nazis used evolution,' because it's childishly untrue. It's like trying to argue against GreatestIAm when he says something like 'God is an asshole.' It's ridiculous, inflammatory nonsense. The Nazis purposefully misinterpreted evolutionary theory to fit their twisted, sociopathic, deluded ideals. It was a blatantly false excuse for what they were doing, but apparently it's still fooling you. Do you think Nazis were really awesome at evolutionary theory? Or do you think they were really awesome at murder, and some Nazi thought 'Hey wasn't there something Darwin said about survival of the fittest? Well we're awesome Nazis and we're just killing anybody who's not, but some of our lesser Nazi brethren are getting antsy about all the murder. What if we tell them that it's totally science!'
convincing people in the backwoods that a dead man who came back to life is threatening them with eternal punishment if they don't submit to him is not "education"
But they will have a long time in Heaven to give those stupid missionaries a hard time....Of course they won't be getting to heaven as quickly what with the medicine help the missionaries bring also.Too bad we don't just treat them like the many many many atheist organizations by ignoring them while we pretend we understand the beginning of existence while using crayons and a 2 inch ruler for tools.
I mean, it's disingenuous to pretend that the Nazi belief in Aryan superiority is the same thing as Darwinism. It's almost offensively disingenuous, and I can't possibly argue with a person who says things like 'Nazis used evolution,' because it's childishly untrue. It's like trying to argue against GreatestIAm when he says something like 'God is an asshole.' It's ridiculous, inflammatory nonsense.
Then you know how I feel when you say that Christians are anti-learning.The ride took a long time, but now that you are here, we can move forward.How about them buddhist huh? What a bunch of idiots...
Of course they won't be getting to heaven as quickly what with the medicine help the missionaries bring also.
Of course whether they are allowed to use medicine depends on which sect of christianity they are indoctrinated into.
Too bad we don't just treat them like the many many many atheist organizations by ignoring them while we pretend we understand the beginning of existence while using crayons and a 2 inch ruler for tools.
Here's a nice piece on how you guys "educated" the native americans: Indian education began with forts erected by Jesuits, in which indigenous youths were incarcerated, indoctrinated with non-indigenous Christian values, and forced into manual labor. These children were forcibly removed from their parents by soldiers and many times never saw their families until later in their adulthood. This was after their value systems and knowledge had been supplanted with colonial thinking. One of the foundations of the U.S. imperialist strategy was to replace traditional leadership of the various indigenous nations with indoctrinated "graduates" of white "schools," in order to expedite compliance with U.S. goals and expansion.I'm sure if you guys hadn't killed most of them off they'd probably still be complaining about this.
Of course whether they are allowed to use medicine depends on which sect of christianity they are indoctrinated into.
Pretty sure the Christians science missionary numbers are about .1% of the missionaries reaching the lost. But way to detract.
Here's a nice piece on how you guys "educated" the native americans: Indian education began with forts erected by Jesuits, in which indigenous youths were incarcerated, indoctrinated with non-indigenous Christian values, and forced into manual labor. These children were forcibly removed from their parents by soldiers and many times never saw their families until later in their adulthood. This was after their value systems and knowledge had been supplanted with colonial thinking. One of the foundations of the U.S. imperialist strategy was to replace traditional leadership of the various indigenous nations with indoctrinated "graduates" of white "schools," in order to expedite compliance with U.S. goals and expansion.I'm sure if you guys hadn't killed most of them off they'd probably still be complaining about this.
And yet the majority of American Indians are Christians. Now let's talk about how the Eskimos were treated by Russian fur traders....Cause everything that happened was only related to the person's faith, not their national wealth.