The AAU-ization of youth sports, I guess. I feel old now....in my day, you played little league or Babe Ruth league.....season was 5 months or so and that was it.
Here is the article I was talking about.

I think it's an interesting dilemma. Whether you believe Gladwell's 10,000 hour rule or not, there's no question that the more you practice, the better you'll get. If you are one of those kids who has a realistic shot at professional sports, I think you have to take the injury risk, don't you? I think the issue is probably more the thousands of kids who think they have a shot at being a pro who really don't. But then again, if a kid knows he isn't going pro, but just really, really loves baseball, should we tell him not to play because he might injure his arm?I don't know; I think it's interesting.By the way, I hate what the Little League World Series has become. It has too much..."ESPN" in it (for lack of a better term).

I think it's an interesting dilemma. Whether you believe Gladwell's 10,000 hour rule or not, there's no question that the more you practice, the better you'll get. If you are one of those kids who has a realistic shot at professional sports, I think you have to take the injury risk, don't you? I think the issue is probably more the thousands of kids who think they have a shot at being a pro who really don't. But then again, if a kid knows he isn't going pro, but just really, really loves baseball, should we tell him not to play because he might injure his arm?I don't know; I think it's interesting.By the way, I hate what the Little League World Series has become. It has too much..."ESPN" in it (for lack of a better term).
It's a hard call.I have never been a fan of the LLWS. The baseball is crappy and at the end you get close-ups of crying children. I don't know. There was some malicious laughter in the CaneBrain household when the Japanese players had to introduce themselves in English. So that was fun.