What Stack Size Is More Important In Mtt?

I am wondering what is more important in a MTT. Your BB to stack size, or the tourney average stack size?? I know that anything 10 BBs or less is bad, but if you are at 25-50bbs deep, but are still under the tourney average, do you push more or stay patient?? Just wondering. I am paying more attention to average tourney size and sticking it in at marginal times trying to stay with/ahead of average, and this has not been working out for me. Just wondering if this a bad thought process.Thanks!!

all table dependent brah
dont tease me brahhh! lol, and yah it does depend and i think part of it is stylistic, some people are more will to go aggro for the hopes of a deep run, others try and super grindo it out i mean you have to in the end be the one to make that gut check decision. it is the sketchiest part of a MTT when your stack is fringe of opening standard, 2.5X, and open shoving. I would say play the players as much as you can

Quite often, Daniel posts while he's in WPT main events that he's comfortable with 50 to 60 BB's, even though he's got about half of the chip average. He often shows that being patient, playing the right hands, and picking the right spots is the way to maintain a good amount of chips and eventually make big moves when the times are right.

agree with rrumsey, the man should write a poker book
finally the respect i deserve. now only if i had a monster br,...... minor details
Quite often, Daniel posts while he's in WPT main events that he's comfortable with 50 to 60 BB's, even though he's got about half of the chip average. He often shows that being patient, playing the right hands, and picking the right spots is the way to maintain a good amount of chips and eventually make big moves when the times are right.
+1 Personally I pay very little attention to average stack size, or what the big stack has during the course of a tournament unless I am getting to that point where I will have to double up to stick around. The big swings come late and as long as your stack is big enough to actually play poker thoughout the majority of the tournament that is all I would worry about if I was you. As rummsey says though, I think some of that is dependent on your personality too. A friend of mine is always aware of where he stands in tournaments and is a very aggressive player. He likes to be the table captain and is most comfortable when he can control a lot of the play. I am more of a grinder and I am ok being patient and picking my spots. Personally I don't think its wise to get hung up on where you stand 1/3rd to half way through a big tournament. How many times have you gone wire to wire to win a tournament?

Yea, for now I am not worried about trying to stay in the top 10. Just trying to get the hang off MTTs. Got a good feel for 30 man or less table SNGs, but have been playing around more with the 90-180+ tourneys. I used to gamble marginally alot, but now trying to be more patient and pick better spots to make moves. Thanks for the responses. Got a better picture now.

Yea, for now I am not worried about trying to stay in the top 10. Just trying to get the hang off MTTs. Got a good feel for 30 man or less table SNGs, but have been playing around more with the 90-180+ tourneys. I used to gamble marginally alot, but now trying to be more patient and pick better spots to make moves. Thanks for the responses. Got a better picture now.
if you want some experience playing big # if runners MTTs, then play like the daily dollar on ftp, or low scoop events, or low miniftops event, or a few the mini series of poker. There is a massive difference between under 200 person SNG's and 5K+ donkaments. To be honest the more people the more you have to try and build your stack early imo, depending on the structure of course. I would personally say start with a few turbo $2's then work your way into the slower ones. but i mean the daily dollar is super cheap, rake free, and a 10 minute level deep starting stacks huge donkament. it is kinda right to get your feet wet, and i mean for $1 i think first place pays out 4K! i mean it is super huge, and going super deep is unlikely just bc you in the end need to run good for a long time, but that is where i would start if you wanna learn. GL man. Tournys are so up and down, i cant handle it to be honest.
if you want some experience playing big # if runners MTTs, then play like the daily dollar on ftp, or low scoop events, or low miniftops event, or a few the mini series of poker. There is a massive difference between under 200 person SNG's and 5K+ donkaments. To be honest the more people the more you have to try and build your stack early imo, depending on the structure of course. I would personally say start with a few turbo $2's then work your way into the slower ones. but i mean the daily dollar is super cheap, rake free, and a 10 minute level deep starting stacks huge donkament. it is kinda right to get your feet wet, and i mean for $1 i think first place pays out 4K! i mean it is super huge, and going super deep is unlikely just bc you in the end need to run good for a long time, but that is where i would start if you wanna learn. GL man. Tournys are so up and down, i cant handle it to be honest.
Yea, that is what I have learned so far. On 6-max turbo SNGs I could win/2nd 80% of what I played one night, then for win/2nd 20% the next night, and only difference is who the flips favored. I learned here more about make the right flip decisions, and bet sizing, because you do not have much time to actually "grind". I started playing lower cash games as well (I think you suggested it, and you were right) to work out other fundamental problems, and that is coming along. I would like to do more MTT, but the problem is I have to work for a living, so therefore I cannot sit for 6-8 hours to bubble out. (I could, but I hate wasting the time). Thanks!!
the problem is I have to work for a living, so therefore I cannot sit for 6-8 hours to bubble out. (I could, but I hate wasting the time). Thanks!!
yah i found that too, also half the decent gaurantees are geared toward people who dont work so sunday nights are gone. Yah it is kinda hard to have a job (or school for that matter), social life, and play MTT imo
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually don't think average stacksize is that important. It is useful for gauging how you're doing relative to the field and determing how much edge you have over the field. Example: You have an average stack deep in a tournament. If you have 15BBs, even if you play a shortstack well, you have less edge than if you have a 50BB stack and play a 50BB stack well. Average stack size will almost never affect how you play a hand.That's why BBs is more important (in my opinion). Your stack size and the stacks of other players in the hand is often going to be a deciding factor on how you play a hand. The more attention you pay to stack sizes the better you'll get at coping with them, which will increase your edge over the field and the less average stack size will matter.