Stepping Up To The Main Event

My step hopes are fading fast thanks to a very cold deck. I'm still holding on to my step 3 but I've now used up almost all my FTPs and have only managed to end up with one additional step 2 ticket. I'm going to hold off playing the step 3 until the deck starts to warm up a bit.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sigh, now down to a single Step 3 ticket. With my Step 2 I had gotten bumped down to step 1, back up to step 2, then busted out when I got it in as a shortie with 77 against 22 and 55, and the 55 turned a set.Played the step 3 and held on to it. Will likely try again tomorrow. If this one doesn't last, I'll probably go back to playing some 10NL Rush to accumulate some more FTPs with the goal of purchasing another few step 1 tickets a bit later on.

Barely staying alive with a step 2 ticket. Almost got back to step 3 last night but suffered a bad beat with 4 left to cripple my stack. I will get back to step 3!

And I'm done. Played step 2, played it again, busted out when I shoved over a raiser w/ AK, he called w/ 99 and held up. Probably a bit careless on my part but I have to admit I was growing a bit tired of the low step grind. I'll take a break for a while and maybe come back again later.Good luck to everyone else trying to step their way to the Main Event.

I found an article on step strategy online the other day and it recommended having at least 10 tickets at a step before moving up to play that step in order to combat the variance. Unfortunately I don't have the bankroll or player points for that. If you're starting at the bottom like I am, you'd end up having to purchase a whole lotta step 1's to maintain the 10 ticket/step goal. When all was said and done I probably purchased ~10, almost entirely with FTPs, which turned into 4 step 2's, which turned into a single step 3.

I found an article on step strategy online the other day and it recommended having at least 10 tickets at a step before moving up to play that step in order to combat the variance. Unfortunately I don't have the bankroll or player points for that. If you're starting at the bottom like I am, you'd end up having to purchase a whole lotta step 1's to maintain the 10 ticket/step goal. When all was said and done I probably purchased ~10, almost entirely with FTPs, which turned into 4 step 2's, which turned into a single step 3.
link?

Don't have it unfortunately. I was doing a search for articles on unexploitable strategy, and came across a site with a whole bunch of articles. One of the articles in the tourney section, from 2008, was this article on step strategy.

The "not playing with scared money" psychological aspect is good, but I'm considering the steps things more like taking a shot. Knowing how to play sit and goes is the most important thing, so I'd rather play my usual game (at the moment that's the 10 cent blinds cash game on stars) and see if I can run up the steps with fpp.I tried the steps system on tilt as well: I bought a 3.30 step 1 ticket on full tilt with my full tilt points, redid step 1, then qualified for step 2, redid that and eventually busted out. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it and I'm not necessarily playing with scared money, as it only cost me frequent player points. Thus, I'm a bit more detached from the monetary value.So in the grand scheme of things, they might be right that if you make a serious attempt at advancing in the steps system, you should have several tickets at the same level, to be in the proper frame of mind. If you're just viewing it as taking a shot at qualifying for the main event, then that works too as long as you're only investing points rather than buying in directly.EDIT: Personally, instead of stepping up all the way to the last level, I'd rather step up to 4 on stars or 5 on tilt and then use that ticket to play a double shootout qualifier. Even though only one spot pays in the first round of the shootout, I'd think that the field is slightly softer than advancing through the next 2 steps.
EDIT: Personally, instead of stepping up all the way to the last level, I'd rather step up to 4 on stars or 5 on tilt and then use that ticket to play a double shootout qualifier. Even though only one spot pays in the first round of the shootout, I'd think that the field is slightly softer than advancing through the next 2 steps.
I'd still rather take my chances against 8 good opponents in a STT than 1000 weak opponents in a MTT.
I'd still rather take my chances against 8 good opponents in a STT than 1000 weak opponents in a MTT.
A double shootout is two consecutive single table tournaments. So there are 81 players (9 times 9) on 9 tables. The winner of each of the 9 tables plays on a second 9 handed table against all the other winners. Typically on that "final" table, the 1st prize is the main event entry and other places pay out some cash (except for 9th on the second table on full tilt; it also depends on the number of runners, if there are less than 81 people playing). The big difference here is that you need to come in 1st twice, rather than 2nd on the steps system and then 1st on the last step.But of course you should play the format that suits you best, I just wanted to provide some food for thought as the shootout requires the same single table sit and go skill set.
I think that's a bit of flawed thinking. Even in a sng with 9 people, you'd figure to have an edge over your opponents, but it's not a huge edge due to the variance of sngs. Then multiply your chances by 7 considering the amount of steps needed to win your seat. I would think that your chances would be somewhat better with a MTT, unless you play a huge volume of steps. Basically I'm saying you can run like god in a SNG and win a step, or, you can run like god in a satellite MTT and win a seat.edit, although reading what you were replying to, I kind of understand what you mean.

deucescracked has a series going on right now all about the steps and Bones is a sicko from what I hear... "DC and Bones attack Step tournaments. General step strategy, managing step tickets, optimal times to play, payout structure, adjustments, multiple bubbles, moving up and more."Most DC series have 8 videos and episode 6 just came out. So if you have a subscription, I'd check it out. And if not, they have a 7 day free trial, where you could for sure watch all 6 videos.

A double shootout is two consecutive single table tournaments. So there are 81 players (9 times 9) on 9 tables. The winner of each of the 9 tables plays on a second 9 handed table against all the other winners. Typically on that "final" table, the 1st prize is the main event entry and other places pay out some cash (except for 9th on the second table on full tilt; it also depends on the number of runners, if there are less than 81 people playing). The big difference here is that you need to come in 1st twice, rather than 2nd on the steps system and then 1st on the last step.But of course you should play the format that suits you best, I just wanted to provide some food for thought as the shootout requires the same single table sit and go skill set.
That is interesting, but you have to be running damn good to win two STTs in a row. The advantage of the step system is that you don't just get one shot at it - as long as you can "cash" consistently, you can stay in the system until you eventually run good enough to climb the final steps. All other satties are basically single elimination formats.
deucescracked has a series going on right now all about the steps and Bones is a sicko from what I hear... "DC and Bones attack Step tournaments. General step strategy, managing step tickets, optimal times to play, payout structure, adjustments, multiple bubbles, moving up and more."Most DC series have 8 videos and episode 6 just came out. So if you have a subscription, I'd check it out. And if not, they have a 7 day free trial, where you could for sure watch all 6 videos.
Darn, I've already used my free trial. Might have to get my wife to sign up for one too.
Basically I'm saying you can run like god in a SNG and win a step, or, you can run like god in a satellite MTT and win a seat.
Very true, but see my recent reply. In the steps you can hang around for a while and hopefully run like god before your tickets run out. In MTTs you get one shot to run like god. Steps are also ideal from a bankroll management perspective. I just added up all my attempts and I ended up playing about 40 steps total for the initial cost of $3.30 (before I realized I could purchase tickets with FTPs) plus about 7500 FTPs. Darn good value for money, if you ask me. I basically turned 11 tickets into 40 attempts, and it only cost me $3.30 from my actual bankroll.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm back on the horse with a single step 3 ticket. Had enough FTPs to purchase two step 1's, turned one of them into a step 2, and turned that one into a step 3. I'm on the make!