Laptop-- Is This A Good Deal

I need a new laptop. I really only need a laptop for email, web surfing and losing at online poker. Just casual use. My only requirement is the need for a decent size screen. I saw this deal on amazon and was looking for some feedback from some of our computer savy posters. http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-L5...737&sr=1-12anyone have any experience with toshiba? any other ideas--thanks

For some reason that wont load for me, but I recently custom built a Toshiba laptop for my girlfriend. It is a very good brand > Dell, HP AINEC. How much are you looking to spend? If that is all you want to use your computer for, you can get a really good laptop for around $400-500. None of those things you want to do really require much from your computer. I would recommend getting something that includes the following things:Dual-Core Processor2 Gigs of RamMin 120 GB HarddriveAnything less than this, and your computer is going to be slow and tied down if you try to do multiple things at once. Processor speed is probably the most important thing you can have. If you are going to spend money on anything, make sure its that. You don't really need a lot of harddrive space or ram unless you are planning on saving or downloading things. (movies, music, etc.)Those are very basic specs, but it will help you keep the cost down while achieving everything you want. Something like this will probably run you somewhere around $450. If you go to toshiba.com you can customize laptops and get an idea of what everything will cost you. Ours was assembled and shipped within days and it is fantastic.If you have any further questions, please feel free to pm me and I can go into much more detail.

Can't tell you much about Toshibas, but I can tell you to avoid HP's dv series. My motherboard crashed and when I took it to my very savvy computer guy to see if it could be fixed, he had another in the shop with the exact same problem. He said it's a trait of the HPs to self-destruct their motherboards around Year 2-3 of existence.

Can't tell you much about Toshibas, but I can tell you to avoid HP's dv series. My motherboard crashed and when I took it to my very savvy computer guy to see if it could be fixed, he had another in the shop with the exact same problem. He said it's a trait of the HPs to self-destruct their motherboards around Year 2-3 of existence.
Yep, HP's are terrible. Same with Dell. Now I'm sure there are people out there who have never had a problem with either of those, but in all my computer dealings, I have seen way too many things go wrong with them. Toshiba is a pretty good brand, but honestly the best thing anybody can do is build their own computer. Not really an option if you want a laptop unless you have access to all the parts and are really really computer savvy, but you can build a desktop computer that will blow away anything you would find in a Best Buy, Wal-Mart etc for around $500-600. Sites like newegg.com offer free shipping on almost all computer parts at wholesale pricing. If you don't know how to put the computer together, many local computer shops will do this for you for a small fee. I've had my desktop for about 2 years now and it would crush any laptop on the market and I will always be able to upgrade and swap out parts when need be; and I spent under $1000. Just my opinion..Sony is a great brand as well

I will never buy another Toshiba again. I bought one and the motherboard went out after about six months. Turns out it was a heat problem that they knew about but refused to fix, and they continued to sell them with the flawed parts.Garbage.And HPs are decent computers, but every one I've seen comes loaded with so much crap that they have very little hope of ever working to their full capacity.

I will never buy another Toshiba again. I bought one and the motherboard went out after about six months. Turns out it was a heat problem that they knew about but refused to fix, and they continued to sell them with the flawed parts.Garbage.And HPs are decent computers, but every one I've seen comes loaded with so much crap that they have very little hope of ever working to their full capacity.
Like I said earlier, everybody has at one time or another had problems with a specific brand or hasn't had any, but I will tell you from the computer community that Toshiba is MUCH MUCH better in terms of quality and price than HP. And I have to respectfully decline with your statement that HP's are good computers. They have more problems and complaints then any other system. You don't have to listen to my advice, but I have owned or operated almost every type of system, done lots of research, and I'm very active in computer, gaming, and networking forums. I'm simply giving you the information I have discovered for myself and the advice/knowledge of others.If you are worried about something going wrong, pick up the warranty from the manufacturer.

dated, but here you go:http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareT...bility_1109.pdfI had a similar experience with a toshiba satellite, which was actually a rebranded HP notebook. known grounding problems, poor soldering between the power connector and motherboard, exhaust vent problems, fans that threw bearings entirely too soon, the works.I think lenovo is the brand to beat these days. this is the laptop I would buy at the moment:http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/control...000F3:00002612: * Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 ( 2.20GHz 800MHz 2MB ) * 4GB DDR3 * 320GB 5400 RPM HD * 14.0 " WXGA LED Backlight TFT (1366x768) W/ Webcam * DVDRW * Intel Wireless Wi-Fi Link 5100 * Bluetooth Version 2.1 + EDR * 6 Cell Battery * Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit * NVIDIA GeForce G 210M 512MBuse this coupon code (expires on tuesday) to bring it to $569 shipped: USPG4CG38