Ahl Shortstackers - 19/20 and 20/21 AHL CHAMPIONS

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been toying around some more about what I think my roster may look like over the next few years, focusing on next season, and what I'll look like going into the auction.   It's very likely that I'm

Dale, a smart rule to go by in negotiations is to offer the other party what they do not have.   Based on his write up above, I would suggest a good starting point would be to offer Zach a years sup

we all do. even the professionals get it wrong.   Id much rather be the type of person who gets it right+wrong, then the ones who just dont do anything unless its a totally obvious move, or just are

I like Muzzin enough, but he's a risk because he's not worth much when he's not playing with Doughty, and pairings aren't forever. I'd gladly trade with you to get him, but I wouldn't give up a pile for him. I forget what you may have asked for before, but whatever it was, less than that. lol.

Of the players you mentioned above I figure the only ones you'd swap for Muzzin are:

Vlad Sobotka (STL)

Drew Stafford (BUF)

Matt Cooke (MIN)

Brandon Sutter (PIT)

Michael Latta (WSH)

Erik Haula (MIN)

Scott Glennie (DAL)

Tomas Jurco (DET)

None of those players would help me now and I don't like the upside enough to give up Muzzin.

Dale, a smart rule to go by in negotiations is to offer the other party what they do not have.

Based on his write up above, I would suggest a good starting point would be to offer Zach a years supply of realistic expectations for prospects.

• Like 1

Yeah, and I think that's fair. I don't really have anything you'd want, which is a big problem.

Stastny is really the only chip I have that a contender could be interested in.

Dale, a smart rule to go by in negotiations is to offer the other party what they do not have.

Based on his write up above, I would suggest a good starting point would be to offer Zach a years supply of realistic expectations for prospects.

I was going to note that I probably erred high on the stats, mostly because I was trying to project contracts a few years down the line, and figured erring higher would result in me over-projecting contracts, rather than under-projecting them.

I thought I tempered my expectations rather well, though. I did ~40 points for the elite prospects in their rookie seasons, which is pretty standard. Everyone else will be in their 2nd or 3rd years, and I didn't give them unrealistic bumps. It's true that not everyone will improve, and there's bound to be a sophomore slump or two in there, but nobody projects a player who has 15 goals in 25 games to only have 15 the next season, lol.

I thought I tempered my expectations rather well, though. I did ~40 points for the elite prospects in their rookie seasons, which is pretty standard. Everyone else will be in their 2nd or 3rd years, and I didn't give them unrealistic bumps. It's true that not everyone will improve, and there's bound to be a sophomore slump or two in there, but nobody projects a player who has 15 goals in 25 games to only have 15 the next season, lol.

-Not all your guys all "elite" prospects.

-Its definitely true that not everyone will improve, and you seem to be banking on everyone's good moments instead of their slumps as their future production.

-Sophomore slumps are not uncommon, in fact they are the opposite of that.

- Expecting Toffoli to score 25gls and Hertl to get 60pts next year I would bet heavily against.

I say this all in fun. I would wish you GL if you werent in my division. :)

Well, the "elite" ones I mentioned were just Teravainen and Kuznetsov, who are most definitely elite prospects.

I don't know about more common than uncommon for sophomore slumps, maybe, but who knows.

Maybe I just used a poor word choice, by saying "expect" rather than something like "upside". I'm certainly not sitting here thinking everyone is going to be a 60+ point guy or anything. And you're probably right, I'm extrapolating a lot of the better stretches, I suppose.

I don't think any of my "expectations" are crazy, but it's true that there are things that could get in the way. And of course, I'm assuming that everyone plays 82 games, so prorate them for whatever games are missed (when I come back to this thread to rub my correct predictions in your face :P)

I don't think your being outlandish in any of your expectations. Taken one by one, nothing seems silly. (Except maybe the Hertl thing, and that for me is just about the injury factor * soph slump)

Its just put them all together, and it seems hard to believe it will all fall like that.

Going to finish typing this because I had it before your reply. :)

Tyler Toffoli is on a 25 goal/48 point pace, as a rookie, despite not having scored a goal or a point in 7 games. I projected 25/25 as a 2nd year player. I don't see that as crazy.

MacKinnon reaching 70 might be a stretch, but most 1st overalls lately have roughly the same 1st year numbers, then hit roughly 70 the next year. I don't know if MacKinnon is as good as Hall/Tavares, though. Certainly not yet, but compared to them at the same age, maybe.

I could see Hertl being too high. I had him 30/30 in my spreadsheet, just so I could safely project his contract next summer. I agree the injury is a concern, though, especially if he misses the rest of the season. That probably sets him back a full year, which I did not account for, of course.

Scheifele nearing 60 pts, eh, that's probably a tad high too, but with his recent success, and the pre-season hype, I figure he has a chance. Probably a better bet to be 40-50 points (though he probably hits 40 points this season, even after having 5 in the first 20 games.

Already addressed Teravainen and Kuznetsov.

Bennett depends on his injury, of course, but healthy, he's playing with Sid or Geno. 40-50 points isn't crazy, though it will mostly be assists, as I mentioned, making him less valuable for the AHL.

Finally, Couturier. Just guessing he breaks out to 40-50 points, based on what I've seen him do when he gets the chance to be an offensive player, rather than solely a checker/pk-er. I mean, he's on pace for 35 points right now, so it's not a huge stretch to get 5-15 more playing in a scoring role. He's 9th among forwards in PP minutes, if that increased, that would basically account for it right there.

I don't think your being outlandish in any of your expectations. Taken one by one, nothing seems silly. (Except maybe the Hertl thing, and that for me is just about the injury factor * soph slump)

Its just put them all together, and it seems hard to believe it will all fall like that.

And yeah, of course this is true. But I don't know how to write projections for them as a whole. You know that individual projections are what they are, then you look at a team and take into account what you just projected, plus injuries, slumps, wild cards, etc.

Anyways, I'm glad at least two of you bothered to read it. :)

Ondrej Palat with 1g, 1a tonight. 8 game point streak (4g, 6a). Also had a goal (correctly) disallowed tonight. He's really making good of his chance to play on the 1st line with St. Louis.

• 2 weeks later...

Kuznetsov coming over in 14/15: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/21/kuznetsov-says-hell-join-capitals-in-2014-15/

If he was smart, he would come over immediately after his KHL season ends (if he can?) and play enough games to burn a year off his contract. Maybe they can't do that because he played in a pro league this year. Don't know, CBA rules have changed and I doubt I was clear on them before anyways, lol. With college guys, they usually sign and play a few games to burn the year so they're closer to being out of their entry-level deal.

Yeah, he's far too good. I missed a stretch right before I called him up where he slumped a little. Uh, by "slumped", I mean 1 assist in 5 games, but it was following back to back 2 goal games, lol.

Now I guess the fight is to keep him out of the 2nd tier!

• 6 months later...

2014-15 Shortstackers

Forwards (10 players - $13.75 spent):

Signed:

• Matt Cooke (PIT) - 0.75 / 0.75 / FA
  • Drew Stafford (BUF) - 1.00 / FA

To Be Signed:

• Nathan MacKinnon - 5.00 / 6.25 / 7.25 / 8.00 / 9.00 / 10.00 / 11.00 / 12.25 / 13.50 / 15.00 / 16.50 / FA (3 yrs + 8 yr franchise contract)
  • Brandon Sutter - 2.50 / 2.50 / 2.50 / FA
  • Ondrej Palat (TBL) - 0.75 / 0.75 / 0.75 / FA
  • Michael Latta (WSH) - 0.50 / FA
  • Erik Haula (MIN) - 0.25 / FA

To Be Promoted:

• Mark Stone (OTT) - 1.50 / FA
  • Tyler Toffoli (LAK) - 1.00 / FA
  • Jason Zucker (MIN) - 0.50 / FA

Defense (4 players - $7.00 spent):

To Be Signed:

• Dennis Wideman (CGY) - 4.00 / 4.75 / 5.25 / FA
  • Simon Despres (PIT) - 1.50 / FA
  • Nick Holden (COL) - 0.75 / 1.00 / 1.25 / FA
  • Jordie Benn (DAL) - 0.75 / FA

Goaltending (1 team - $1.25 spent):

To Be Signed:

• Nashville Goalies B - 1.25 / 1.25 / 1.25 / FA

Buyout (1 player - $1.75 spent):

• Luca Sbisa (VAN) - 1.75

Exempt List (2 players):

• Alex Burmistrov (WPG) - 3.00 / 3.00 / FA
  • Vladimir Sobotka (STL) - 0.75 / 0.75 / FA

Cash Available: 60.00

Cash Spent: 23.75

Cash Available: 36.25

9 skaters, 2 goaltending sets needed

Released:

Forwards:

• Ben Smith (CHI) - 0.75
  • Tyler Kennedy (SJS) - 0.50
  • Scott Glennie (DAL) - 0.25

Defense:

• David Schlemko (PHX) - 0.75
  • Steve Oleksey (WSH) - 0.25
  • Greg Pateryn (MTL) - 0.25
  • Dmitry Korobov (TBL) - 0.25
  • Chad Ruhwedel (BUF) - 0.25
  • Brian Lashoff (DET) - 0.25

Goaltending:

• Dallas Stars B - 2.25
  • Vancouver Canucks - 1.00

Farm Team:

Forwards:

• Mikael Grigorenko (BUF) - 1st round, 2012 - 3.00
  • Teuvo Teravainen (CHI) - 1st round, 2012 - 3.00
  • Sean Couturier (PHI) - 1st round, 2011 - 3.00
  • Tomas Hertl (SJS) - 1st round, 2012 - 2.50
  • Sebastian Collberg (NYI) - 1st round, 2012 - 2.50
  • Mark Scheifele (WPG) - 1st round, 2011 - 2.50
  • Evgeny Kuznetsov (WSH) - 1st round, 2010 - 2.50
  • Beau Bennett (PIT) - 1st round, 2010 - 2.50
  • Tomas Jurco (DET) - 2nd round, 2011 - 2.00
  • Adam Erne (TBL) - 2nd round, 2013 - 2.00
  • Tim Bozon (MTL) - 2nd round, 2012 - 1.50
  • Charles Hudon (MTL) - 2nd round, 2013 - 1.50
  • Jimmy Vesey (NSH) - 3rd round, 2013 - 1.00
  • Tyler Graovac (MIN) - 4th round, 2013 - 0.50

Defense:

• Mathew Dumba (MIN) - 1st round, 2012 - 3.00
  • Ryan Sproul (DET) - 4th round, 2011 - 0.50

2014 Draft Picks:

• 1st round, 2nd overall (Shortstackers)
  • 2nd round, 22nd overall (Shortstackers)
  • 3rd round, 42nd overall (Shortstackers)
  • 4th round, 62nd overall (Shortstackers)

To Be Released:

• Daniel Catenacci (BUF) - 3rd round, 2011 - 1.00
  • Martin Frk (DET) - 2nd round, 2012 - 2.00
  • Petr Straka (PHI) - 2nd round, 2010 - 1.50

***subject to change

• 3 weeks later...