Ahl Shortstackers - 19/20 and 20/21 AHL CHAMPIONS

Rough time to be in the Shortstackers top 6:

Kuznetsov - 1g, 1a in last 6 gp

MacKinnon - 0g, 2a in last 7 gp (plus 0 pts in 2 periods tonight)

Toffoli - 0g, 0a in last 7 gp

Zucker - 0g, 0a in last 10 gp

Exceptions:

Stone - 11 pts in last 10 gp

Hartnell - 3g, 3a in last 4 gp (after a 4-game pointless streak)

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been toying around some more about what I think my roster may look like over the next few years, focusing on next season, and what I'll look like going into the auction.   It's very likely that I'm

Dale, a smart rule to go by in negotiations is to offer the other party what they do not have.   Based on his write up above, I would suggest a good starting point would be to offer Zach a years sup

we all do. even the professionals get it wrong.   Id much rather be the type of person who gets it right+wrong, then the ones who just dont do anything unless its a totally obvious move, or just are

Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind if Kuznetsov went a little cold for a while. He's my only high end player up for a new contract. The difference between the 2nd and 3rd group isn't very much (would be a difference of .25/.50/.50 respectively per season), but the difference from the 2nd to the 1st group would be 1.00/1,50/2.00. Big time difference. He currently sits 19th among forwards who have dressed for 10+ AHL games. The top 20 are in group 1.

• 2 weeks later...

Woke up this morning to realize I had a big win over the Big M's last night. Had to put up a 5.5 just to squeek by.

I have a matchup against the most popular team in the AHL tonight, the Shortstackers. Will be interesting and invigorating.

Very pumped about my team, nice to see them score some pts.

• Like 1

More cap shenanigans/dreams... keep Couturier outside of the top 200 forwards (10+ gp) so he doesn't get a raise... I'm not ready to give up on him (holy crap, he's 23 already?).

So, naturally, Couturier has been on a tear since I posted this. Has points in like 3 of 4 or 4 of 5 AHL games since. Lol.

No shot at this contract I want.

• 2 weeks later...

Big day today... game against the Ingmen, who we're battling for that final playoff spot, plus we play them in Champions League, where we're in a fierce battle vs Chris for the top seed.

e0eb22dd26771170f519b0c86351041d.png

Lots of good results for the Stackers tonight.

I beat Wayne who I was playing in both regular play and Champions League.

This gives me a 4 point playoff cushion. Whalers also lose, so I increase the lead on them to 3 points.

Meanwhile, Steelheads lose their Champions game, which gives me a 2 point lead heading to the final week. $100 will be on the line next Saturday, and all I'll need is a point out of my game to secure it. I have the more favorable matchup next week, as well.

Tomorrow is a Zach vs Jay day... AHL and FCHL games.

In the FCHL, Jay will be running with Backstrom, Kane, and nobody else... and he could win with that.

I'll have no goalies in the AHL matchup, but I think I'm only about a 0.200 point dog as I get to avoid heavyweights Tarasenko and Malkin while returning with a full and solid lineup.

It's taken a while, but Jason Zucker has finally played himself out of my auto-start rotation. I don't think he's been in a situation where he's been benched yet this season, but the red hot Sean Couturier will take his place as the #6 forward today. Zucker has actually plummeted to #8 on the depth chart behind Toffoli, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Stone, Hartnell, Stafford, and Couturier.

Well, I'm satisfied with how this night has gone. I'll win my league game, stay alive in Survivor and even win my FCHL game.

Really liking how my team is shaping up. Having Palat come back from his injury and round into his old form is very nice... it's like adding a 0.500+ player without giving anything up. And I'll be adding Sutter back in a week or so, but he's just a solid depth piece, hopefully around 0.375 or so. Either way, he'll help keep bums like Burmistrov out of the lineup.

Thinking I could maybe use a bit of a bump in D, but would take a high end player. My depth is solid with 7 players over 0.200, led my Keith at nearly 0.500. Would like to add a player in the 0.300ish range to slot into my 2nd or 3rd slot, but not sure that's in the cards this year.

It's really a shame the road to the finals goes through Bob (again)... I think I could take a game or two, but it would take a huge amount of luck to beat him 4 of 7. I like my team against anyone else, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Stone used to be my default, but he's been completely useless lately. Now his limemates on the 2nd line are Zack Smith and JG Pageau. Still 1st PP though.

Couturier was red hot then missed a couple games. I want to play him as much as possible with the hopes that he cools down and brings his price down for next year... LOL. But that runs contrary to my plan of winning Survivor and Champions. :). His limemates aren't too inspiring tonight (Schenn/Gagner) and he doesn't appear to be on a PP unit to start.

Stafford is solid, nothing to really report. Top 6, first PP.

Hertl is playing on the top line, and 2nd unit PP. Has been deadly lately too.

Stone used to be my default, but he's been completely useless lately. Now his limemates on the 2nd line are Zack Smith and JG Pageau.

those linemates are great ones to set up a goal scorer

• 1 month later...

Postmortem:

I think this season was a success. I set out what I wanted to do. I made the playoffs, and even won a round.

Players like Toffoli, Hertl, Couturier, Stone continued to grow into top 6 forwards.

Zucker took a big step back after a torrid start, but has shown he has to tools to score 20+, which would be nice at his bargain price.

Kuznetsov looks like a real star. Played himself into a group 1 contract, unfortunately, but for the next three years, he looks like he'll be worth it.

Palat stated slow, but got it together at the end.

Stafford was exactly as you'd expect. He'll likely be re-signed given his bargain price.

Hartnell was about right for his price at the auction. He was a contributor to the top 6. He won't be back, though.

Sam Bennett and Teuvo Teravainen took nice steps in their development. Both likely to spend another year on the farm before being promoted. Grigorenko took a step forward with top 6 minutes. He'll be a TR call up and will need a good season to stick around into 2018.

Matt Dumba solidified his spot in the NHL this year, and unless he misses 3 of the Wild's last 13 games, he'll be a forced call up. He'll be expected to take another step forward to help an aging defense group.

Keith was as we expected when he was acquired, despite being quiet at the start and end of the season. He'll be re-signed, the question is for how long.

Disappointing seasons from Wideman, Zidlicky, Green, and to a lesser extent Markov. As mentioned, this is an aging defense. Zidlicky and Markov will be gone, and we'll hope for bounce back years from Green and Wideman. Holden was a tad below optimistic projections, but serviceable.

A key find was Erik Gustafsson, however. Hopefully he can find some success next year and build on a strong rookie season. Finding 25c players who turn out useful is a big boon in this format. Palat the prime example on this team.

Goaltending was mediocre at best. Will require a reset.

I think that covers most of it.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I already hate this trade.

To Shortstackers:

F Viktor Arvidsson NSH $1.00 FARM

Canadian Gothic's 3rd 17-18

To Canadian Gothic:

F Mikhail Grigorenko COL $3.00

My thinking is pretty simple. Arvidsson on the farm and only $1 is a big advantage to Grigorenko at $3.00 this year on the main roster. The scenarios for next season are really weird with him. He has to play well enough to earn a contract over $3.00, and even then, he'll be at least $3.75 for 3 years. So much meh with Grigo. Arvidsson will at least save me money and be palatable at $1.00 or $1.25 if he's a middling/bottom end forward. Grigo will explode, but then he'll be too expensive for me to keep. Blah.

Also I already had MacKinnon on the Avalanche, so...

Shrug.