Ahl Shortstackers - 19/20 and 20/21 AHL CHAMPIONS

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been toying around some more about what I think my roster may look like over the next few years, focusing on next season, and what I'll look like going into the auction.   It's very likely that I'm

Dale, a smart rule to go by in negotiations is to offer the other party what they do not have.   Based on his write up above, I would suggest a good starting point would be to offer Zach a years sup

we all do. even the professionals get it wrong.   Id much rather be the type of person who gets it right+wrong, then the ones who just dont do anything unless its a totally obvious move, or just are

My defensemen farmies have had a virtual monopoly on junior hockey awards.

WHL West Best D-Man: Brendan Kichton (Limidonks)

WHL East Best D-Man: Morgan Reilly (Shortstackers)

OHL West Best D-Man: Ryan Sproul (Shortstackers)

My guy won best snap shot from a left handed D in the Southeast Division of the QJMHL.

WOOHOOOOOO!

• 4 weeks later...

2013-14 Shortstackers

Forwards (9 players - $12.25 spent):

Signed:

1. Brandon Sutter (PIT) - 2.00 / FA
  2. Drew Stafford (BUF) - 1.00 / 1.00 / FA
  3. David Moss (PHX) - 0.75 / FA

To Be Signed:

1. Alex Burmistrov (WPG) - 3.00 / 3.00 / 3.00 / FA
  2. Michael Grabner (NYI) - 2.50 / 2.50 / 2.50 / FA
  3. Vladimir Sobotka (STL) - 0.75 / 0.75 / 0.75 / FA
  4. Matt Cooke (PIT) - 0.75 / 0.75 / 0.75 / FA
  5. Ondrej Palat (TBL) - 0.50 / FA

To Be Promoted:

1. Bobby Butler (NSH) - 1.00 / FA

Defense (3 players - $5.00 spent):

Signed:

1. Luca Sbisa (ANA) - 3.50 / 3.50 / FA

To be Signed:

1. Jordie Benn (DAL) - 0.75 / FA
  2. David Schlemko (PHX) - 0.75 / FA

Goaltending (0 teams - $0.00 spent):

Cash Available: 42.50

Cash Spent: 17.25

Cash Available: 25.25

11 skaters, 3 goaltending sets needed

Released:

Forwards:

1. Dustin Jeffrey (PIT) - 1.25
  2. James Sheppard (SJS) - 1.00
  3. Eric Tangradi (WPG) - 1.00
  4. Andreas Nodl (CAR) - 0.75
  5. Peter Regin (OTT) - 0.75
  6. Paul Byron (CGY) - 0.75
  7. Teemu Hartikainen (EDM) - 0.50
  8. Ben Smith (CHI) - 0.50
  9. Matt Beleskey (ANA) - 0.50
  10. Joey Crabb (WSH) - 0.25

Defense:

1. Brad Stuart (SJS) - 2.25
  2. Clayton Stoner (MIN) - 0.50
  3. Matt Gilroy (NYR) - 0.25

Goaltending:

1. Calgary Flames - 0.75
  2. Florida Panthers - 0.75
  3. New York Islanders - 0.25

Farm Team:

Forwards:

1. Mikael Grigorenko (BUF) - 1st round, 2012 - 3.00
  2. Teuvo Teravainen (CHI) - 1st round, 2012 - 3.00
  3. Sean Couturier (PHI) - 1st round, 2011 - 3.00
  4. Sebastian Collberg (MTL) - 1st round, 2012 - 2.50
  5. Evgeny Kuznetsov (WSH) - 1st round, 2010 - 2.50
  6. Beau Bennett (PIT) - 1st round, 2010 - 2.50
  7. Martin Frk (DET) - 2nd round, 2012 - 2.00
  8. Tomas Jurco (DET) - 2nd round, 2011 - 2.00
  9. Tim Bozon (MTL) - 2nd round, 2012 - 1.50
  10. Petr Straka (PHI) - 2nd round, 2010 - 1.50
  11. Tyler Toffoli (LAK) - 3rd round, 2010 - 1.00
  12. Daniel Catenacci (BUF) - 3rd round, 2011 - 1.00
  13. Matia Marcantuoni (PIT) - 4th round, 2012 - 0.50

Defense:

1. Mathew Dumba (MIN) - 1st round, 2012 - 3.00
  2. Morgan Rielly (TOR) - 1st round, 2012 - 3.00
  3. Ryan Sproul (DET) - 4th round, 2011 - 0.50

2013 Draft Picks:

1. 1st round, 1st overall (Shortstackers)
  2. 2nd round, 21st overall (Shortstackers)
  3. 2nd round, 37th overall (Broadway)
  4. 3rd round, 41st overall (Shortstackers)
  5. 4th round, 61st overall (Shortstackers)

To Be Promoted:

1. Bobby Butler (NSH) - 3rd round, 2012 - 1.00

To Be Released:

1. Taylor Doherty (SJS) - 2nd round, 2011 - 1.50
  2. Carl Klingberg (WPG) - 3rd round, 2009 - 1.00

Note: One more player/pick must be traded, released, or promoted prior to the 2013 draft

***subject to change

• 2 months later...

Some recent rumblings out of Russia suggest that Evgeny Kuznetsov is planning to come over after the next KHL season, which could end as early as March 1st, depending on how his team does in the playoffs.

This got me to thinking, 2014/15 should be a year of re-birth for the team formerly known as the Ottawa Shortstackers.

Projected Lineup (2014/15):

Michael Grabner ($2.50)

Alexander Burmistrov ($3.00)

Drew Stafford ($1.00)

Brandon Sutter ($2.50 est.)

Vladimir Sobotka ($0.75)

Additionally, any or all of the following players could be called up as the season starts, and have a cap hit of $0 for the season:

Evgeny Kuznetsov

Tyler Toffoli

Beau Bennett

Sean Couturier

Mikhail Grigorenko

Nathan MacKinnon (presumptive #1 overall pick this fall)

On defense, we aren't as strong:

Luca Sbisa ($3.50)

It's possible, but unlikely, that the following players could be ready for the AHL call-up:

Morgan Rielly

Mathew Dumba

===============

Of course, there needs to be some positive luck here, some things have to go the right way.

Toffoli and Bennett need to grow on their rookie seasons and have full years, mostly in their respective top 6s. Couturier needs to get back to getting the ice time he saw in his rookie season, rather than being buried on the 4th line. Burmistrov probably needs to be traded, or utilized better by Winnipeg. MacKinnon needs to live up to his hype, ditto for Grigorenko. Sutter reaching his 20-20 or higher potential once again would be a nice boost. Kuznetsov being the guy we all expect once he comes over... and so on. Lots of things need to go right, but assuming most of those guys pan out even close to what is expected, then things should be looking good.

The whole thing, is I'll be able to have 10 or 11 quality forwards, and only be spending $9.75 on them going into the draft. I'll need to shore up the defense, and probably add some pieces here or there, but I will have a boatload of cash to spend.

I wonder if my guys will progress enough in the next 365 days, and the auction will bring enough talent, for me to potentially compete for a playoff spot. Should be interesting. The next year will be massive in determining how soon my team can be competitive once again.

dunno... new place is up yonge/eglinton, but not quite forest hill... not sure.

That's where my parents live. They're north-west of yonge and eg though, so more forest hill area.

Glad to hear you took my advice and moved close to the best hot dog stand in the city. one block north of eglinton, on yonge, there is a giant Chapters. The best hot dog place is right beside the Chapters. You're welcome.

• 2 months later...

Called up 6 farmhands for October, with potential for some of them to remain on the team permanently.

Mathew Dumba

Morgan Rielly

Nathan MacKinnon

Mikael Grigorenko

Sean Couturier

Beau Bennett

Mostly the forwards have the best chance of remaining on the roster all season, as this should be a good year to get them signed to cap-friendly contracts. Dumba and Rielly are merely up to shore up a very weak defense, but don't project to make the team full time just yet.

I wasnt sure either as i am going to have more than 3..

The answer to my question was no max...

But if you call up 6 you need to make sure you have enough room...5 players need to go reserve, one would need to be released..Rosters are not expanded.

I wasnt sure either as i am going to have more than 3..

The answer to my question was no max...

But if you call up 6 you need to make sure you have enough room...5 players need to go reserve, one would need to be released..Rosters are not expanded.

As I understand the rule

My understanding is that rosters only expand (by 3) for spring call-ups. If you call up any farmhands now you need to make room for them. If you plan on sending them back to your farm you'll also need to ensure they don't play more than 9 AHL games and you'll need to return them by the date Bob posts in the next day or so (it's typically around Hallowe'en).

The active roster expands by 3 at the end of the season and at the same time you can use farm players so that's why there is that confusion.

In October there is no expansion of the active roster and players who you call up from the farm can be sent back down before the end of October or kept up all season.

If you send players back to the farm you have to call somebody up from reserve to fill that active roster spot or you can pick players up on the last Sunday of the month.

Like Zach did you have drop some players if you have more than 5 farm guys you want to use in October

So Bob, when does the roster expand for me to re-promote farm guys that have been sent down?

This is important because of the 9-game rule,

I'm going to look at that tomorrow.

I'm a bit busy

• 1 month later...

So... my forwards next year will be as follows:

Nathan MacKinnon

Tomas Hertl

Tyler Toffoli

Beau Bennett

Evgeny Kuznetsov (probably)

Sean Couturier

Drew Stafford

Matt Cooke

Vladimir Sobotka

Brandon Sutter

then maybe:

Mikhail Grigorenko

Mark Scheifele

Teuvo Teravainen

Also, I'll have at least $40 to spend in the auction.

Could make a playoff push next year if a few of my guys continue to improve.

• 1 month later...

Been toying around some more about what I think my roster may look like over the next few years, focusing on next season, and what I'll look like going into the auction.

It's very likely that I'm going to be getting meaningful contributions from a number of current farm players next season:

Nathan MacKinnon /F/COL/$3.00

Currently the leading rookie scorer in the NHL, on pace for 24 goals, 52 points. I don't think it is unreasonable for him to top that pace this season, as he has been scoring more lately, and scoring more when he moves up the depth chart because of injuries, etc. I would also expect him to score something like 65 points, maybe 30 goals, next season, as he continues to progress.

He is most likely to be called up, and played in at least two more AHL games this season, in order to be able to sign him to a Tier 4 contract, worth 3 years at $3.75 per, then an additional 5-7 years, each year being 10% more than the previous. The only gamble is if he goes really well in the games that I get him into later in the season, it is possible that he elevates himself out of the 4th group, which would be a minor disaster.

Tyler Toffoli /F/LAK/$1.00

Tyler Toffoli is likely to be a call up in the summer, in order to comply with farm size limits. He started red hot after his call up, but has cooled down since being stuck on the 3rd line, getting limited minutes. He is a pure goal scorer, though. My expectation for him next season would be about 25g, 25a type stats. He has played his way into a permanent spot on the Kings team, and I would expect them to give him more responsibility as this season progresses.

Mark Scheifele /F/WPG/$2.50

Picked up in the Hertl/Rielly trade. He was acquired with just 1g, 4a to his name in the first 20 games of the season. He went scoreless for another 4, but since then, in 21 games, he has 6 goals, 11 assists. He is playing really well, and starting to live up to the pre-season hype, where he was considered a front runner for the Calder. I could see Scheifele challenging the 60 point plateau next season, although it would be skewed slightly towards assists. Thinking something like 20g, 40a.

Evgeny Kuznetsov /F/WSH/$2.50

The latest word is that Kuznetsov plans on coming to North America after his season in the KHL ends. He is not having his best year, and is in jeopardy of being left off the Olympic team, which was the big reason he decided to stay in Russia for so long. Ideally, if he does get left off, it motivates him to come over here and tear up the NHL. He is among the very best prospects not playing in the NHL, and I have high hopes for him. Thinking he could have a 40-50 point rookie season. He may also get into some games late this season, which would be useful for him.

Sean Couturier /F/PHI/$3.00

It feels like Couturier has been in the NHL for a long time, but this is just his 3rd season. He has been used primarily in a defensive role, but has shown the ability to score when put in that position, and given power play time. I would hope that as he ages, he just turned 21, that his points start to come with more frequency. He showed flashes earlier in the season, with a run of 10 points in 9 games. I would expect something along the lines of 40-50 points next season.

Teuvo Teravainen /F/CHI/$3.00

The leading scorer in the just-completed world juniors, Teuvo is expected to be the 2nd line center for the Hawks next season. He was a standout in camp and his exhibition games this fall, and should be able to contribute right away. I have high hopes for Teuvo in the long run, but I expect him to be about a ~40 point scorer in his rookie season. That could balloon depending on who he gets to play with in Chicago, and if he does actually manage to be the #2 center all season.

Tomas Hertl /F/SJS/$2.50

His early season success is well documented. He was expected to run away with the Calder until his injury. While the recovery time is not known, he has undergone successful surgery, and should come back and get right back to where he was. He still leads rookies with 15 goals, and is second only to MacKinnon in points. Needless to say, he is leading rookies in points per game. I would expect him to be in the range of 25-30 goals, and around 60 points next season.

Beau Bennett /F/PIT/$2.50

Bennett has had a disastrous year. He started out slow, unable to cement a spot in the top 6, and then faced two injuries sidelining him for most of the season. He should be back in a month or so, and should have a wonderful opportunity to establish himself as a top-6er, as there's a gaping hole in the Penguins lineup, alongside Crosby. With Dupuis out for the season, Bennett should be given every opportunity to take it.

Bennett is tremendously skilled, and I have high hopes for him. I think in his first full NHL season, he could score 20 goals, but he's more of a playmaker, so I would expect something along the lines of 15g, 35a, or something even more skewed, like 10g, 40a. ~40 to 50 points sounds about right though, and it could be even better if he gets a regular spot alongside Crosby or Malkin, and if he can stay healthy for an entire season, for once.

Jason Zucker /F/MIN/$0.50

Zucker is a bit of a wild card. He has had some success at the NHL level already, but he's bouncing between the AHL and the NHL right now. He's by no means a lock to be a regular next season, though. Nonetheless, he is included in this list because he will also be called up in the summer. Like Toffoli, his small salary makes him an attractive player to call up, as significant room will need to be cleared from the farm before the draft. He would likely end up on the reserve list unless he ends up making the Wild and contributing.

=========================================================================

Additionally, the Shortstackers also boast Ondrej Palat, a 22-year-old in the midst of his rookie season in Tampa Bay. Undrafted in the AHL, he was a free agent pick up last season. He is having a very solid rookie season, with 18 points in his first 41 games (plus an assist in game 42 as I write this). Hopefully he continues to grow and can be a 40-50 point player for me. A player like Palat being successful is important, as he'll be able to be locked up this summer for 75 cents per year. Contracts like that are necessary to help offset the high draft picks that are sure to be on this team.

Also close to contributing are Mikhail Grigorenko and Mat Dumba. Both players made their NHL teams out of camp, but have not had much success. Both played in the world juniors, and it's unsure what will happen the rest of the season, whether they return to junior or the NHL. It is possible that either of them have an impact next season, but it is just as likely that they spend a year in the AHL, as they'll finally be eiligible, and work on their pro games.

The above players are expected to be the core of my forward group going forward. In addition to the 10 forwards (all except Grigorenko) listed above, the Limidonks also have a breaking out Vlad Sobotka (20 pts in 35 games) who is signed for 0.75 for two more seasons, as well as Drew Stafford ($1.00 for one year) and Matt Cooke ($0.75 for two years) under contract. Additionally, Brandon Sutter is up for a new contract, which is likely to be at $2.50 per year. A decision has yet to be made on him, as his offense hasn't translated to the NHL, and he is traditionally used as a third liner, and in defensive situations.

Young players Michael Latta (WSH), Erik Haula (MIN), and Scott Glennie (DAL) are all likely to be re-signed as well, but moved immediately to the reserve list to make room for the farm call-ups once the season starts. They have enough potential to want to keep around for another year or two, and are all quite inexpensive, each currently costing a quarter.

Tomas Jurco (DET) is the only other farm prospect to see NHL time this season, and while he looked pretty good, and had two nice goals (and one assist) in 7 games, the way Detroit tends to groom prospects, he is probably another couple years away from contributing to the Shortstackers.

tl;dr - the Shortstackers have a ton of really good forward prospects poised to jump into the lineup, but you'll notice the enormous lack of defensive mentions in this post, with the only mention being Dumba, who probably won't even contribute next season.

• Like 1