Going To Make A Serious Run

I have been messing around and playing cards for years... have good runs, and bad ones but now I am getting serious. I have $450 on stars right now have made a decesion to play 100 4.40's by the end of July. i am looking for advice on what strategy to use to make this work. I think playing super tight for the first 3 levels, then continiously opening up as the blinds rise.or Do I play 100 45 man 6.50's? has anybody done this before?Any advice?my biggest winning years were when I focused on Mtt's so I am going back now. thanks is advance

I have $450 on stars right now have made a decesion to play 100 4.40's by the end of July. i am looking for advice on what strategy to use to make this work.
Have a look here:http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...showtopic=97838The links to therrinn's guide and shaundeeb's guide (a bit further down the thread) are probably most useful for you. (Note that in the mean time, the structure of the 180-mans has changed a bit with some added levels and some different antes, so you may want to fine-tune your strategy a bit accordingly.)Good luck!
did not get a chance to read the posts yet, but played 4 tonight....9th and 15th.... meh minor profit
Nice. Well done.Have you ever played on Absolute poker? I hear their 200nl 6max games are really soft. Not that many bad beats either.

gl in your endeavours.For the love of all that is holy, stay the eff away from 45 man turbos if you are "serious" about anything. They can be extremely soul-crushing, and the top-end rewards in 4.40s are sooo very much better.You could honestly play 20,000 45 man sngs and do absolutely zero to improve your actual game outside of honing your shoving/reshoving ranges and bookmarking odds calculators. heh.

gl in your endeavours.For the love of all that is holy, stay the eff away from 45 man turbos if you are "serious" about anything. They can be extremely soul-crushing, and the top-end rewards in 4.40s are sooo very much better.You could honestly play 20,000 45 man sngs and do absolutely zero to improve your actual game outside of honing your shoving/reshoving ranges and bookmarking odds calculators. heh.
unless your entire purpose is just to profit at that level and grind up enough of a roll (or weekly income) in order to jump to the other games later and learn the skills then.

thanks for the comments guys... I dislike NL cash games... or just do not have the confidence to play them right... so i stay away from them. If I build a roll, I will hire a coach to improve.I am staying with the 4.4's because I want to improve my tourny game for the WSOP, deepstacks etc... next year. I played my 2nd 4 tournies and had a 5th. I bluffed off my chips a couple of times once we hit the money (I was in 3rd when we hit the money) and had to grind back... I was really tired, when I was playing, but such is my life (3 kids and busy job) that is how I will be when I play. Overall, I am up a grand total of $30. :club:

I am staying with the 4.4's because I want to improve my tourny game for the WSOP, deepstacks etc... next year.
I wouldn't recommend the 4.40s to improve your tourney game for any kind of deepstack event. The structure and amount of BBs you begin with are totally unrepresentative of anything you'll encounter in a properly (or even inpropperly structured) live event. If you want to learn how to play deepstack tournament poker there are tournaments you can find in the main Stars tourney lobby that are much better suited to this purpose.For building a roll up though, the 4.40s could be a good bet, just realise that you will need to play a bit differently in many other MTTs, both online and live.
I played my 2nd 4 tournies and had a 5th. I bluffed off my chips a couple of times once we hit the money (I was in 3rd when we hit the money) and had to grind back... I was really tired, when I was playing, but such is my life (3 kids and busy job) that is how I will be when I play. Overall, I am up a grand total of $30. :club:
Bluffing off chips when 3rd as you hit the money suggests to me that you aren't playing the right kind of end game. By all means, commit your chips with a good hand, but bluffing when you are comfortable and have a decent stack vs the blinds and antes isn't the way to go. Good luck improving and definitely read the guides others have posted here if you haven't already.
I think playing super tight for the first 3 levels, then continiously opening up as the blinds rise.
I bluffed off my chips a couple of times once we hit the money (I was in 3rd when we hit the money) and had to grind back...
It's a very fine line.
I wouldn't recommend the 4.40s to improve your tourney game for any kind of deepstack event. The structure and amount of BBs you begin with are totally unrepresentative of anything you'll encounter in a properly (or even inpropperly structured) live event. If you want to learn how to play deepstack tournament poker there are tournaments you can find in the main Stars tourney lobby that are much better suited to this purpose.For building a roll up though, the 4.40s could be a good bet, just realise that you will need to play a bit differently in many other MTTs, both online and live.Bluffing off chips when 3rd as you hit the money suggests to me that you aren't playing the right kind of end game. By all means, commit your chips with a good hand, but bluffing when you are comfortable and have a decent stack vs the blinds and antes isn't the way to go. Good luck improving and definitely read the guides others have posted here if you haven't already.
I know bluffing off my chips in that spot was a bad play, i was tired when we got to the money and I have to close that spew leak in my game. It is something I need to improve is my end game. I can pretty consistently get into the money, however I find a lot of times I am average stack at that point at best, mostly I get to the last 20% of players and need to figure out how too steal better. I try to attack the middle stacks like mine but often get caught with a short stack or big stack looking me up. This is where I want to improve, is changing gears at the right spot. \I find the structure for the 4.4's is a good equivalent to the small buy in events at the wsop or the regular tournies (i.e. venetian 120 or caesar's regular tournies). I will worry about adjusting to the differences as times goes on, but right now it is just figuring out the cure to my leaks. thanks again. I took tonight off as I was exhausted, after two nights of 5 hours sleep.
thanks is advance

had not played until tonight... was exhausted from work and kids... played 3 more tonight, had a 16th (bad play cost me my chips), I will post the hand shortly. and a 3rd. Pushed TP and OESD, ran into ignorant end of straight so thus far, I have played 11, cashed in 5, with 2 10-18th, 9th, 5th, and 3rd. not bad so far.