Set Mining Strikes Gold--now How Do I Extract Max Value?

I feel like I could have gotten better value on this hand, would appreciate input. Villain was fairly solid, moderately aggressive:PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $5.00+$0.50 Tournament, 100/200 Blinds 25 Ante (2 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com629424.gifHero (SB) (t4720)Button (t8780)Hero's M: 13.49Preflop: Hero is SB with 3club.gif, 3heart.gifButton raises to t400, Hero calls t200Flop: (t850) 7heart.gif, Kheart.gif, 3spade.gif(2 players)Hero...?Is it worth even worrying about the two hearts HU? Should I expect a c-bet here and go for a check-raise (check-call?), or bet out? (Maybe betting out would actually look weak to a sophisticated enough player.)

Your opponent has the FD so little of the time here it's not worth worrying about. Hopefully, you've been leading a lot of flops regardless of your position, and you can go ahead and lead here with your opponent none the wiser. Otherwise, play it consistently with how you've played previous flops.

Flop: (t850) 7heart.gif, Kheart.gif, 3spade.gif(2 players)Hero checks, Button checksTurn: (t850) 3diamond.gif(2 players)Hero...?Villain seems to have lost interest after the preflop raise. I really thought he was going to c-bet. I guess I can bet out here, but sure seems like he might just fold. Check and hope he takes a stab (or improves on the river)? If I bet, how much?

Flop: (t850) 7heart.gif, Kheart.gif, 3spade.gif(2 players)Hero checks, Button checksTurn: (t850) 3diamond.gif(2 players)Hero...?Villain seems to have lost interest after the preflop raise. I really thought he was going to c-bet. I guess I can bet out here, but sure seems like he might just fold. Check and hope he takes a stab (or improves on the river)? If I bet, how much?
Meh just check again, you have quads. Then you can probably bet like half the pot on the river.

Not crazy about the idea of set-mining with 33 here since it can be very difficult to get your opponent to commit enough chips postflop unless he has a big hand, or hits the flop hard, which isn't usually the case in HU play. Most of the time you'll just be calling off chips and then folding to an overcard board on the flop, or you'll hit your set and win a small pot. When playing heads-up I think you have to play small pairs hard, unless stacks are really deep.

I think I bet the turn moderately. probably 350-half pot. Reason being any K is going to call obviously, a lot of under pairs are going to call, and some heart draws are going to call you here.. If you get a bet in here, there's a good chance they call a river value bet too. The only hands you lose value on are the QJ/AQ/AJ type hands that may hit on the river but fold to a turn bet.I think overall, you are better off by putting money into the pot with the nuts than not betting and slow playing.

Anyone for a 3bet PF?
I like that. I actually prefer it than flatting with 33. 33 is very hard to play post flop.

3b pf would have to be a shove?If you 3b/fold with this stack you might as well 3b 72oidk, it being HU might change it a bit.Any reasonable 3 bet followed by a c bet would have to be a c bet shove given pot/stack sizes at that point and idk if I like go-and-going with 33.

3b pf would have to be a shove?If you 3b/fold with this stack you might as well 3b 72o
It certainly wouldn't be ideal to 3-bet/fold but it wouldn't be a disaster. Say Hero reraises to 1500. If Villain comes over the top, Hero can fold and still have 3200, which is about 15BB. But given that most players minraise liberally from the SB heads-up, 3-betting here is basically a resteal move.

I bet 400 on the turn and villain folded. I of course felt frustrated that I couldn't get any chips out of villain with quads! This villain was not minraising the button routinely either by any means, so he must have just really whiffed the board or somehow smelled a rat.

See, that's why you bet more flops when HU! Then you catch a monster, bet as usual, villain thinks nothing of calling or raising you.
You've got a point there.
Not crazy about the idea of set-mining with 33 here <...>
jmbreslin is correct here:In heads-up play with these stacks, you are not playing [33] because you are set-mining. Play [33] because it is ahead of his button PFR range, and with that in mind, the normal play here is to 3-bet to put the pressure on him and protect your small pair. That being said, heads-up matches are very opponent-specific and calling his minraise from the BB is definitely an appropriate play here. Let me stress again, that you are *not* calling to check-fold whenever you miss your 3 (if this *is* your approach, then just 3-bet your hand preflop and give him an opportunity to fold).
Anyone for a 3bet PF?
A 3-bet PF is definitely a good play here.
jmbreslin is correct here:In heads-up play with these stacks, you are not playing [33] because you are set-mining. Play [33] because it is ahead of his button PFR range, and with that in mind, the normal play here is to 3-bet to put the pressure on him and protect your small pair. That being said, heads-up matches are very opponent-specific and calling his minraise from the BB is definitely an appropriate play here. Let me stress again, that you are *not* calling to check-fold whenever you miss your 3 (if this *is* your approach, then just 3-bet your hand preflop and give him an opportunity to fold).A 3-bet PF is definitely a good play here.
I play what seems to be the "wrong" style HU according to a lot of people here, but I have had good results. It is definitely opponent specific, but against the typically aggro HU opponent, I almost never raise preflop unless and until the blinds and antes get big enough that preflop shoves are called for. I also don't fold on the button/SB, even with 23o, unless villain has been raising almost every time I complete, in which case I'll fold the worst dreck but keep calling with other hands (and folding to the raises in a lot of cases but biding my time to trap). Then I play postflop poker, dancing around and making reads. And I think you'd have to waterboard me before I'd 3-bet with 33! That doesn't mean I'd check-fold here if I didn't hit my set though (which I guess means I wasn't technically set mining).ETA: Checked my email, and since I switched to Gmail I have a 76-44 record when I get HU. ::shrug::
Your opponent has the FD so little of the time here it's not worth worrying about. Hopefully, you've been leading a lot of flops regardless of your position, and you can go ahead and lead here with your opponent none the wiser. Otherwise, play it consistently with how you've played previous flops.
+1