I Completely Lost Focus

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you define spirituality as something outside the knowable world, then you are operating in the imaginary. There is reality, and nothing else. Within reality, there is that which we know, and that which we don't. All that we do not know is knowable but hasn't been learned yet.Some people choose to imagine a spiritual dimension that is outside the knowable world. It does not exist and cannot exist, but they postulate it anyway, emote over it, are motivated at times by it, and attempt to find fellowship with others who have imagined something similar....God is Fear, reality is Truth. I'd rather get my spirituality from the latter. It also happens to work a lot better since it is based in the real universe rather than the uncontrollable imagination of someone who is not content with being unable to know everything right now. Belief in God is really being a spoiled intellectual brat if you think about it. I can't have it and know it all now, so I'll make it up on my own terms and according to my basest feeling (fear). And so will you. No I won't. Yes you will. No I won't. Yes you will. Insert Crusades, Holocaust, 911, Jerry Falwell, Islam, and a million more horrors beget by people who have different imaginations.
Spirituality is not based on vaguery, it is based on laws. Basically they are scientific laws. So spirituality is science; but a science of consciousness. and of how consciousness interrelates with the physical world.Here is a good example... this is some research done on the effects of Transcendental Meditation:http://www.alltm.org/research.html
A study published in a peer-reviewed journal reports on one of the most dramatic sociological experiments ever undertaken. Researchers predicted in advance that the calming influence of group meditation practice could reduce violent crime by over 20 percent in Washington, DC, during an 8-week period in the summer of 1993.
-> http://www.alltm.org/pages/crime-arrested.html
In fact, the findings later showed that the rate of violent crime--which included assaults, murders, and rapes--decreased by 23 percent during the June 7 to July 30 experimental period. The odds of this result occurring by chance are less than 2 in 1 billion. Rigorous statistical analyses ruled out an extensive list of alternative explanations, according to John Hagelin, lead author of the study and director of the Institute of Science, Technology and Public Policy at Maharishi University of Management in Fairfield, Iowa.
-> http://www.alltm.org/pages/crime-arrested.htmlSo spirituality isn't vague bullshit. Spirituality is about laws of our world, but ones that are based on consciousness. They are trickier to study because of the intangible nature of consciousness, but they ARE being studied.
Yeah that is interesting. A lot of it is just political because the chinese have claimed power over reincarnations within tibet. I actually think that it might be better for them to do it in the traditional way, because it seems like a really unique experience for that kid who is chosen to believe he is something special from the time he is born and to be trained with that philosophy from the very beginning, and I think it has turned out to be a fairly effective system for creating leaders who have the right mindset.
Also worth noting that, while you might dismiss the part about the child choosing the previous Dalai Lama's possessions and the part where the Lamas have visions of the boy's possible location, the child they eventually do pick is one who they find to be intelligent and to have a 'miraculous' quality. If I had to guess, I would say the quality they're looking for has to do with compassion. In other words, its not like a monarchy where you're randomly born into leadership. I mean it sort of is, but there's no familial legacy, and they reject the losers.
(read my edit, I elaborated a bit)I am certainly aware there is the interpretation you are describing is prevalent, but in my view that's a bastardization of the central idea of buddhism, and not really what the buddha himself taught. He taught quite a bit with metaphor and really was focused on dealing with the point of view of the mind, rather than with making metaphysical claims about the afterlife. Furthermore, it really is a good metaphor for what he was talking about. (I think a similar thing happened with christianity over the years... metaphor transforming into literal history which then loses the deep meaning behind the metaphor in favor of a supernatural belief)
There is a scientist named Ian Stevenson. He gave up his field of psychology (I believe it was) to study reincarnation, even though he knew it would not be a popular choice for him. He studied thousands of cases of young children (2-3 year olds) who could remember their past lives. He would ask them all these questions, and then he could actually go verify the information by going to the family of the person who had died (some years previously) There were many times when the children knew things that no one else knew except for maybe the deceased person's wife.Being a a very rigorous scientist, Mr. Stevenson, would not necessarily attribute this to reincarnation, but reincarnation is (obviously) one of the possible explanations for these occurances. Link about Ian Stevenson: http://www.ial.goldthread.com/kidspage/stevenson.htmlSo in my opinion the Buddha was not making metaphorical references, but was just explaining a phenomenon, that in his day was not considered strange, but was a fairly well-known concept about how the world worked.
She achieved Moksha?Didn't think I knew about Moksha, did you Wakefield? ZAP!
I didn't know that word! I do now, but fwiw it is apparently a Hindu concept (very similar to Buddhist nirvana). :club: I'm not sure which smiley is appropriate there, but I like the ninja.EDIT: honest to FSM I just saw this post after I posted my ninja. Unnecessary ninjas rule!!
That's it? Not enough people. Billions won't suffice. :ts
I didn't know that word! I do now, but fwiw it is apparently a Hindu concept (very similar to Buddhist nirvana).
Because all ninja's are asian, obv? And I thought Moksha was a pan-hindu/buddhism thing, but I guess not.
I don't see hate in LMD's post except possibly self-hate. You're way oversensitive. And people, there are many people of faith on this forum. We're not nuts (though Cope & LMD might think so in my case,lol) and we are not trying to force you into believing the way we do. Just because LMD posts what his thinking is in this doesn't mean you have to accept it. It's his beliefs & his thoughts. Personally as a Christian, I don't know what to think about this election. But I will say that I've felt increasing unease with the direction our country has been heading. And I'm not convinced that either of the major parties have been or are going to be good for our country.
Wow. Not very often that I can say that I believe Nimue gets it. Nimue, you get it. Shake hands, and I will never say a cross word at you again. My OP was a thought process of the direction of this country and what Gods possible thoughts were on it, considering that I know(a bit) of God and what he likes and dislikes, and I just don't think he likes us all that much right now. BTW, where is Bob when I am the one getting called all kinds of....wait, Bob was one of the first ones to take a shot. Daniel believes in God, Bob, does that belief stop short in giving God any power at all?
Because all ninja's are asian, obv? And I thought Moksha was a pan-hindu/buddhism thing, but I guess not.
Wow I didn't even realize the reason for the ninjas, but it makes total sense now. Re: moksha - seems like it's mostly a Hindu concept, but that it is essentially identical to enlightenment or nirvana in its meaning.
Wow I didn't even realize the reason for the ninjas, but it makes total sense now. Re: moksha - seems like it's mostly a Hindu concept, but that it is essentially identical to enlightenment or nirvana in its meaning.
Well, I will continue to use Moksha then, as it doesn't have the crappy garage band connotation to it.
RIGHT! The total and utter LACK of fear!
Absolutely, at least on my part. If you learn/know that above all else God has what is spiritually best in mind for you(if you follow him) not much can scare you. Still think it's funny that 80% of the posts in this thread paint the picture of a country that, if there was a God, he just might not like all that much.
BigD and TimW,Did either of you look at the Transcendental Meditation experiment? It is fascinating. But you have to read it to relaly get the details.
Link? I skipped a page or two of this thread, and now I'm reading about Ian Stevenson :club:.
umm besides the verse I just gave you?which explains God limiting Himself?I guess I can quote more, but if that is worhtless to you then I guess the rest will be equally worthless
I think he wanted a reference to the actual verse.
WOW. I knew you were a religious nut, but this is truly amazing. The crap quoted above is barely a notch above the diatribe of the KKK or other hate groups. But you believe in the loving Christ right? Turn the other cheek and all that? Seems like your stuck in the old testament. Love using a fairy tale to justify idiocy. Your a real peach.
His posts wasn't a diatribe or hateful in any way.... you are retarded.
I think its funny that the guy who inflates balloons for a living is arguing with a college professor, and thinks he's winning.Thats funny to me.
Did you actually read their posts?
hmmm, you don't look so tall in the pic.
That post isn't him.
Wow. Not very often that I can say that I believe Nimue gets it. Nimue, you get it. Shake hands, and I will never say a cross word at you again. My OP was a thought process of the direction of this country and what Gods possible thoughts were on it, considering that I know(a bit) of God and what he likes and dislikes, and I just don't think he likes us all that much right now. BTW, where is Bob when I am the one getting called all kinds of....wait, Bob was one of the first ones to take a shot. Daniel believes in God, Bob, does that belief stop short in giving God any power at all?
Bob refuses to defend republicans in any way. I'm surprised you didn't know that.