Mucilage

Scram,I use elmers to put repair books at school. I use it to reglue the block of pages to the spine. Should I use mucilage instead?
Definitely not. It dries way too hard for something like that- it would make a terrible 'hinge' type adhesive. It does see use in paper restoration/conservation, however.The key to mucilage use is knowing how to apply it. For example, I regularly apply it with a watch oiling needle (to drop) and a razor blade (to smooth).
Definitely not. It dries way too hard for something like that- it would make a terrible 'hinge' type adhesive. It does see use in paper restoration/conservation, however.The key to mucilage use is knowing how to apply it. For example, I regularly apply it with a watch oiling needle (to drop) and a razor blade (to smooth).
Thanks, Scram!
I wanted to buy one single bottle of mucilage, but with shipping, I may as well have just bought a case, which I wound up doing.
I hope you made sure they don't charge shipping and handling on each bottle individually, but it sounds like you checked that out before submitting your order.
Am I gluing all wrong?I usually squeeze an amount in the center... use my finger to spread it around.Then when the glue dries on my finger I rub my finger on my pants until it forms a "glue bugger" and there's tons of things you can do with that.
I hope you made sure they don't charge shipping and handling on each bottle individually, but it sounds like you checked that out before submitting your order.
THEY COULD IF THEY WANTED TO
I love this idea. You're gonna need another 15 cases or so.
I'm dead serious though, I think with Scram's meticulous nature he could make a stunning sculture of that stuff.. like a big jew nose or 20's black mammie or something on that order..
  • 2 years later...

AmScrayIf you stillhave your excess Mucilage, do you want to sell?

Mucilage is superior to Elmers white glue- like, big time. The problem is, no one carries it anymore.I went to Wal Mart, they had no mucilage. Big Box Arts and Crafts store: no mucilage. Small, mom-and-pop art supply store: no god damn mucilage. I ordered a case of twelve bottles of mucilage from an online supplier. I anticipate it should arrive sometime in the next 2-4 weeks. According to my calculations, if I supplant all of my conventional Elmers glue usage with mucilage for the rest of my life, I will die with 3 bottles of left over mucilage.Which brings us to the question: What is the long-term shelf-life of mucilage?Does mucilage that has been aged for, say, a decade, lose any of its performance? Two decades?What can I expect out of three-decade old mucilage?Are there any ancillary uses for mucilage?How can I incorporate this mucilage into my daily life so my twelve bottle mucilage purchase isn't a typical wasteful and decadent vanity made by a stereotypical capitalist scum-dog pig? As the children of the world want for recreational adhesives, here I am, hovering over my mucilage horde much like a Jew hovers over his gold?There has to be more uses for mucilage. I will become to mucilage what George Washington Carver was to the peanut.