I'd feel more comfortable tossing in half my stack without the over or the flush draw on the board, or with a better idea of how villain plays... unless we never mind tossing half our stack in on marginal situations like this early in a MTT.
There is an argument to be made for gambling early in a MTT, figuring you want to build a big stack to really contend or else move on to the next one. I don't know if it's necessarily the optimal strategy, but Dan H. mentions this idea in one of the HoH books, that good players also have to factor in the value of their time and they don't want to waste time just muddling along without a lot of chips to work with.Alan
There is an argument to be made for gambling early in a MTT, figuring you want to build a big stack to really contend or else move on to the next one. I don't know if it's necessarily the optimal strategy, but Dan H. mentions this idea in one of the HoH books, that good players also have to factor in the value of their time and they don't want to waste time just muddling along without a lot of chips to work with.Alan
You do have to be careful when thinking like this... as a good player that "factors in the value of their time" and starts to play differently than they normally do, may no longer be considered a "good" or, in other words, profitable player
Actually, I rarely play on Stars. Honest question to anyone who plays on both Stars and FTP, are playing styles different?And honestly, I probably don't fold in this spot with JJ.I mean yeah mathematically we're behind or flipping against a draw, but I don't think that all calls/folds should just be based on mathematics. I guess that's where I differ with some.
I think the only thing we differ on here is that you are leaning towards call/shove and I'm leaning towards fold. There's no right answer here, imo, just a decision that turns out to have either a good result or a bad result.
I think the only thing we differ on here is that you are leaning towards call/shove and I'm leaning towards fold. There's no right answer here, imo, just a decision that turns out to have either a good result or a bad result.
There's no "right answer" but a decision that is RIGHT more often than the other... agree?

I have seen the results, but my immediate answer when seeing the JJ hand was snapcall/fistpump because you are crushing his range. I think folding to the shove there is honestly terrible. He shows up with stuff like 33, 44, and 78 far more often than a king or a set. The SB having a king or a set is also rare enough that you don't need to worry.The AQ hand I'd probably bet like $4k on both turn and river, and fold to a raise on either street (ok, on the river you'd be down to like $8k, but I think there's value in betting down). Don't worry about range balancing or anything like that, just bet what you think they will call with worse. A flush draw only makes up a small part of the CO's flop calling range, so don't be scared when the flush hits.

You do have to be careful when thinking like this... as a good player that "factors in the value of their time" and starts to play differently than they normally do, may no longer be considered a "good" or, in other words, profitable player
QFT
  • 2 weeks later...
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $8.00+$0.80 Tournament, 10/20 Blinds (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comCO (t1490)Button (t1410)SB (t3080)BB (t2290)UTG (t1480)UTG+1 (t670)MP1 (t1830)MP2 (t1370)Beaverstyle (MP3) (t1380)Beaverstyle's M: 46.00Preflop: Beaverstyle is MP3 with J :D, J :4h1 fold, UTG+1 calls t20, 1 fold, MP2 calls t20, Beaverstyle raises to t100, 2 folds, SB calls t90, 1 fold, UTG+1 calls t80, 1 foldFlop: (t340) 7 :D, K :club:, 2 :ts(3 players)SB checks, UTG+1 bets t570 (All-In), Beaverstyle ?????Standard fold? I've been getting in these spots lately, and have thought everytime "I feel like I'm beat, but why wouldn't he let me bet him all in?" But I honestly only beat a bluff here, in my mind. Does SB yet to act play into your decision?
I have seen this line plenty of times - he has QK or less likely KJ since you have 2 jacks. Easy fold imho.