The David Letterman Debacle

I agree that it's been overblown by Letterman but the McCain campaign responded with a statement along the lines of "sorry if we hurt Dave's feelings but we didn't feel as though this was a time to be on a comedic show..."
Yeah, Im talking about what DL was told at the time of the cancellation.
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or Ben Affleck. Or Matt Damon. Or Susan Sarandon. Or Daniel Negreanu. The celebrity contingent for Obama is a little much.
I don't know if you view different media then me but the celebrity contingent seems a lot quieter this go around then in 2004. Bottom line these people all have as a much a right to their opinions as you or I and for the most part don't seem to be campaigning for people as they had in the past. If they're throwing benefits etc thats going the same on both sides.
Care to address anything I wrote at all? Seriously, do you think it was smart of McCain to lie to Letterman and go on the Katie Couric show knowing Letterman would see it? I don't like country music at all- hate it. I do like reggae a lot, I also like basketball....and hockey, wait that one doesn't work :-) As for me feeling better about Obama's chances, that is based on polls. Obama's poll numbers are up- I don't make that stuff up, that's what is being reported. How can you say that I don't know any better? I know how to read a poll, and last I checked, that poll shows an increase in support for Obama.
Obamas poll numbers are up based on smaller sample sizes and sample consisting of more black people. You will rarely see me mention Polls because they generally don't mean much. Polls aren't enough. I don't think it was anything, really. McCain decided an appearance on Letterman wasn't worth his time, Letterman got huffie, no one except Democrats cared. Which is kind of what it's about. I am glad you did not get offended by the leaning black thing, that being said, I wasn't kidding. I have felt that way for awhile now. Do you think that my perception of you on that matter is unjustified?
You're a raving idiot if you don't think that John Stewart has a lot of influence over how people think about politics.Calling him a celebrity and comparing him to actors is kinda stupid. His show is basically political entertainment but there is a ton of truth in it for people to see if they have an open mind.
You missed what I said. I said I would "hope" they didn't. The fact is they do. But, yeah, how do you really feel, Bob?
I don't know if you view different media then me but the celebrity contingent seems a lot quieter this go around then in 2004. Bottom line these people all have as a much a right to their opinions as you or I and for the most part don't seem to be campaigning for people as they had in the past. If they're throwing benefits etc thats going the same on both sides.
The liberal contingent is much, much louder. Care to point me in the direction of any entertainment based show that constantly skewers and pokes fun at Obama? Really,none exist? No way!! They of course have the right. I didn't say they didn't. I said I hope people wouldn't be dumb enough to listen.

I greatly respect Daniel. One of his great skills besides poker, is his ability to use the Media to promote himself, so it is no surprise to me that he places a great deal of importance on the ability of a candidate to do so. I for one am a bit tired of the politicians pandering to these sorts of shows. I am uncomfortable with the blurred line between "entertainment" and "politics".Polish and image is trumping Policies and real Issues

Obamas poll numbers are up based on smaller sample sizes and sample consisting of more black people. You will rarely see me mention Polls because they generally don't mean much. Polls aren't enough. I don't think it was anything, really. McCain decided an appearance on Letterman wasn't worth his time, Letterman got huffie, no one except Democrats cared. Which is kind of what it's about. I am glad you did not get offended by the leaning black thing, that being said, I wasn't kidding. I have felt that way for awhile now. Do you think that my perception of you on that matter is unjustified?
I'm not offended by that if you aren't offended by my perception of you leaning anti-black. As for it being justified, I can say this: There is no question that growing up, the majority of my friends were black. None of them were racist in the least, but most of them suffered from racism- mostly from police oddly enough. I remember my buddy Ron coming to school at the age of 12 with a fat lip and a black eye. I asked him what happened to him and he told me. "Beace (that's what we called them) smashed up my bike and beat us up." I later saw my buddy Mark with a fat lip also. They were nonchalant about it because it had happened before and they came to expect that kind of thing. I realize that doesn't mean much in the grander scale, but they didn't hate white people because of those white cops that had fun beating on kids while calling them the n-word and worse. They certainly didn't trust the police to serve and protect them, but it wasn't an indictment on the entire race. They had plenty of white friends. I'm not saying I never came across black racists, but I've encountered more white racists in my lifetime than blacks, especially in areas of the country that are predominantly white. Racism comes from ignorance and if you don't get a chance to spend time with people of other cultures a national reaction can sometimes be to fear them- or to hate them. To somehow infer, though, that my support for Barack Obama has something to do with the fact that he is HALF black and HALF white is abusrd. If you are inferring that I support a candidate who will focus more energy on helping those that live closer to the poverty line, a high percentage of which would be black, than absolutely. I don't think Charles Barkley makes for a very good politician, but he did say one thing I found interesting, he said, "I'm rich like a Republican but I think like a Democrat. If my taxes get raised, I can afford it. I can afford to pay an extra $700,000 in taxes and it won't change my life none." I feel the same way pretty much. I get that I'd pay more taxes if Obama becomes president and I'm fine with it, because, well, I can afford it. Those people who make $50,000-$60,000 a year can't afford to pay more taxes. They are already stretched to thin as it is. I'm all for doing what's necessary to improve the lives of the poor and the middle class and I'm for a government that will ask the more fortunate people in this country to foot the bill... because they can afford it. That's my view, you don't have to share it or even like it very much, but you should respect it. It might be different from yours, but it is nor wrong nor right, it's my opinion and what I feel is the best approach to running a country.

Couple of good articles, I think they're relevant here.We like to think that people will be well informed before making important decisions, such as who to vote for, but the truth is that's not always the case. Being uninformed is one thing, but having a population that's actively misinformed presents problems when it comes to participating in the national debate, or the democratic process. If the findings of some political scientists are right, attempting to correct misinformation might do nothing more than reinforce the false belief.articleIn the current presidential election, a major percentage of voters are already committed to "their candidate"; new arguments and evidence fall on deaf ears. And yet, if we, as a country, truly want change, we must be open-minded, flexible and willing to revise our opinions when new evidence warrants it. Most important, we must be able to recognize and acknowledge when we are wrong.Unfortunately, cognitive science offers some fairly sobering observations about our ability to judge ourselves and others. article

None of them were racist in the least, but most of them suffered from racism.
Would you like to take this statement back now or should I just continue laughing at you Daniel. There are racists everywhere in every color -- To believe otherwise is naive.
Mocking of politicians is an American past time. We all do it. Your boy Obama is constantly mocked because it is so easy to do.
If you really wanted to get into a video posting war about who is more well spoken you might not like the outcome. That video showed Obama losing track of what he was saying in the first part. Big deal, no candidate could ever possibly do as much talking as these candidates do without getting lost on occasion. The second part of it was him dealing with the crowd. I didn't see it as funny or even mocking at all. It was just a random clip showing Obama losing his train of thought. Imagine how many videos they'd be able to make of your home girl Sarah Palin if she spent a year campaigning? There are already tons of McCain gaffes as well, but big deal, that stuff is going to happen from time to time.
You're a raving idiot if you don't think that John Stewart has a lot of influence over how people think about politics.Calling him a celebrity and comparing him to actors is kinda stupid. His show is basically political entertainment but there is a ton of truth in it for people to see if they have an open mind.
I love that show <333
If you really wanted to get into a video posting war about who is more well spoken you might not like the outcome. That video showed Obama losing track of what he was saying in the first part. Big deal, no candidate could ever possibly do as much talking as these candidates do without getting lost on occasion. The second part of it was him dealing with the crowd. I didn't see it as funny or even mocking at all. It was just a random clip showing Obama losing his train of thought. Imagine how many videos they'd be able to make of your home girl Sarah Palin if she spent a year campaigning? There are already tons of McCain gaffes as well, but big deal, that stuff is going to happen from time to time.
Don't mind what he says. He's the newest political forum troll.
Would you like to take this statement back now or should I just continue laughing at you Daniel. There are racists everywhere in every color -- To believe otherwise is naive.
Read the whole post before you incorrectly paraphrase me. My friends weren't racist, but later in the post I did mention that I had come across black racists as well. You should work on your reading comprehension because there is some good stuff in there you are missing.
Read the whole post before you incorrectly paraphrase me. My friends weren't racist, but later in the post I did mention that I had come across black racists as well. You should work on your reading comprehension because there is some good stuff in there you are missing.
This stuff comes up all the time and it always phrased in this manner -- I have black friends and they are not racist, but they are the target of racism -- I dare you to go into the south side of Chicago for 8 hours or so and then come back in here (if you are still alive) and talk to us again about how your black friends are not racist therefore implying that only white people are racist.I got black friends too that aren't racist, but they most certainly admit that some of the most violent racists are black. In fact, my black friends very clearly advise me to stay out of certain areas solely because I am white. So really man, lets cut the crap on the racism bullshit.
I'm not offended by that if you aren't offended by my perception of you leaning anti-black. As for it being justified, I can say this: There is no question that growing up, the majority of my friends were black. None of them were racist in the least, but most of them suffered from racism- mostly from police oddly enough. I remember my buddy Ron coming to school at the age of 12 with a fat lip and a black eye. I asked him what happened to him and he told me. "Beace (that's what we called them) smashed up my bike and beat us up." I later saw my buddy Mark with a fat lip also. They were nonchalant about it because it had happened before and they came to expect that kind of thing. I realize that doesn't mean much in the grander scale, but they didn't hate white people because of those white cops that had fun beating on kids while calling them the n-word and worse. They certainly didn't trust the police to serve and protect them, but it wasn't an indictment on the entire race. They had plenty of white friends. I'm not saying I never came across black racists, but I've encountered more white racists in my lifetime than blacks, especially in areas of the country that are predominantly white. Racism comes from ignorance and if you don't get a chance to spend time with people of other cultures a national reaction can sometimes be to fear them- or to hate them. To somehow infer, though, that my support for Barack Obama has something to do with the fact that he is HALF black and HALF white is abusrd. If you are inferring that I support a candidate who will focus more energy on helping those that live closer to the poverty line, a high percentage of which would be black, than absolutely. I don't think Charles Barkley makes for a very good politician, but he did say one thing I found interesting, he said, "I'm rich like a Republican but I think like a Democrat. If my taxes get raised, I can afford it. I can afford to pay an extra $700,000 in taxes and it won't change my life none." I feel the same way pretty much. I get that I'd pay more taxes if Obama becomes president and I'm fine with it, because, well, I can afford it. Those people who make $50,000-$60,000 a year can't afford to pay more taxes. They are already stretched to thin as it is. I'm all for doing what's necessary to improve the lives of the poor and the middle class and I'm for a government that will ask the more fortunate people in this country to foot the bill... because they can afford it. That's my view, you don't have to share it or even like it very much, but you should respect it. It might be different from yours, but it is nor wrong nor right, it's my opinion and what I feel is the best approach to running a country.
Maybe not after he settles with the Wynn.Also, from my experience Canada seems more tolerant to different races than America.
This stuff comes up all the time and it always phrased in this manner -- I have black friends and they are not racist, but they are the target of racism -- I dare you to go into the south side of Chicago for 8 hours or so and the come back in here (if you are still alive) and talk to us again about how your black friends are not racist therefore implying that only white people are racist.I got black friends too that aren't racist, but they most certainly admit that some of the most violent racists are black.
What is the point of this? You are just looking to argue. He said he had black friends that weren't racist but knew of black people that were. What exactly does going to Chicago have to do with this? By stating he knows some black people are racists too how is he implying white people only are? There are much better things to pick fights over then trying to grasp at straws.
This stuff comes up all the time and it always phrased in this manner -- I have black friends and they are not racist, but they are the target of racism -- I dare you to go into the south side of Chicago for 8 hours or so and the come back in here (if you are still alive) and talk to us again about how your black friends are not racist therefore implying that only white people are racist.I got black friends too that aren't racist, but they most certainly admit that some of the most violent racists are black.
You babble a lot and try to put me in a spot where you first twist my words than try to make me argue about something I don't believe. Hello, if you are listening, I DID come across black racists. I've come across racists of all kinds. I've come across more white racists than I have black racists. Does that make sense to you or not? It's really that simple. I'm not claiming that blacks are sin free and the big bad white man is to blame. I am saying that I've come across more white racists than black racists. That's just a fact. I am more sympathetic to the plight of the black man in society because historically they've simply had more obstacles to face than your average white dude. Again, that's just a fact. Slavery, Hitler, the KKK and other hate groups, baseball, sitting on a bus, drinking from the "black" water fountain, etc. From the other side of the coin, there was the black power movement, but nothing that remotely compares to the difficulties blacks have faced in this country.
Maybe not after he settles with the Wynn.Also, from my experience Canada seems more tolerant to different races than America.
From my experience I agree with you which is why I've been surprised to see some on this site state that only 10% of the American population is racist because I'd think that number were higher in Canada.
Also, from my experience Canada seems more tolerant to different races than America.
Canada is far from perfect when it comes to racial relations but we don't have the same historic racial baggage that the US does.Also, our large cities and especially Vancouver and Toronto have huge racial diversity. Toronto is the most racially diverse city in the World.I grew up in a lower to middle income part of Toronto and most of my friends were immigrants from all over the World. When you're exposed to other cultures you tend to see people as people first and then something else second and you don't fear them just because they are different.I've been to a wedding in a Shia Mosque, I've eaten jerk chicken at a Jamaican BBQ, I've been to Highland Games with my Scottish friends and my girlfriend is Chinese. I get together with a group of friends once a year who I've known for over 30 years at a cottage and of the 20 or so who regularly get together only 2 of us was born in Canada.My Father was born in Canada but his Parents were born in Poland and came to Canada between the two World Wars and my Mother was born in England.If you aren't exposed to people who are different than you are it's hard to look past the differences and realize that for the most part we are all the same.
You babble a lot and try to put me in a spot where you first twist my words than try to make me argue about something I don't believe. Hello, if you are listening, I DID come across black racists. I've come across racists of all kinds. I've come across more white racists than I have black racists. Does that make sense to you or not? It's really that simple. I'm not claiming that blacks are sin free and the big bad white man is to blame. I am saying that I've come across more white racists than black racists. That's just a fact. I am more sympathetic to the plight of the black man in society because historically they've simply had more obstacles to face than your average white dude. Again, that's just a fact. Slavery, Hitler, the KKK and other hate groups, baseball, sitting on a bus, drinking from the "black" water fountain, etc. From the other side of the coin, there was the black power movement, but nothing that remotely compares to the difficulties blacks have faced in this country.
Ummm... Not certain how many of the 6 Million Jews killed by Hitler were Black.Also, I am guessing (OPINION ONLY) that over the past 150 (or even just 50) years black-on-black violence in this country as well as around the World has been responsible for FAR more damage than the total of Hitler and the KKK or even just general white-on-black conflict.
Canada is far from perfect when it comes to racial relations but we don't have the same historic racial baggage that the US does.Also, our large cities and especially Vancouver and Toronto have huge racial diversity. Toronto is the most racially diverse city in the World.I grew up in a lower to middle income part of Toronto and most of my friends were immigrants from all over the World. When you're exposed to other cultures you tend to see people as people first and then something else second and you don't fear them just because they are different.I've been to a wedding in a Shia Mosque, I've eaten jerk chicken at a Jamaican BBQ, I've been to Highland Games with my Scottish friends and my girlfriend is Chinese. I get together with a group of friends once a year who I've known for over 30 years at a cottage and of the 20 or so who regularly get together only 2 of us was born in Canada.My Father was born in Canada but his Parents were born in Poland and came to Canada between the two World Wars and my Mother was born in England.If you aren't exposed to people who are different than you are it's hard to look past the differences and realize that for the most part we are all the same.
I have seen this exact same claim made for Los Angles, Boston, New York, and Amsterdam.

When I was 19 I went on a road trip up to Vancouver from CA. I was surprised that Vancouver was like a smaller S.F. I did not know what to expect there, but all the Asians (primarily Japanese) and blacks and gays, etc., was not what I was expecting.I was only there for a couple days, but did not notice any overt racism. Small sample I know.I think Bob is right, where there is not the slavery issue like we have in the US. As far as a percentage of racists, that is not quantifiable. Especially since there are so many levels of racism. To an extent, everyone is racist, as they have some preconceived notion of a race, religion, creed etc. We use stereotypes all the time, which is racism or forms of bigotry. But that also does not mean someone does not like the other person because of that.It's obvious that the entire world is becoming more tolerant to diferent races and cultures, especially as we have immigration to different countries and different races and ethnicities inter breeding.

Bullworth - "All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open-ended program of procreative racial deconstruction. Everybody just gotta keep ****in' everybody 'til they're all the same color."
All Right -- Fair Enough - Peace !!