Mixed Game Challenge Thread

I don't like the PLO play at all. That's a very dangerous flop with straight and flush potential for you to be potting with your AA overpair - you're going to be well behind lots of hands there (sets, combo draws). OOP against 2 villains I'd want to see an Ace and/or pick up the NFD to play it hard.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys here are a few hands from my last session. I will be posting more PLO and 2-7 SD hands as they are the games I have the least experience and are by far my worst games. In PLO we play with a 100 BB cap and in the 2-7 we play with a 50 BB cap and a 1/4 ante ratio.This might be a hand you would have to be there for but is calling here on the river pushing it?No Limit 2-7 Single DrawUTGUTG+1MPVillainButtonHero is SBVil is BBHand: [Qs Qh 7c 3d 2h]Pre-draw: (3.25 BB)UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP, folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero raises to 5.75x, Vil callsHero takes 2, Vil takes 1.Hand: [Td 7c 3d 2h 2c]Post-draw: (12.75 BB)Hero checks, Vil bets 12x, Hero callsShowdown: (36.75 BB)
if he bet about pot, meh, it's close. if he's decent and is betting that with his pairs and his real hands, then that's close, hardly a big mistake, though, if it is one at all. if he's straightforward, it's obviously terrible, but i doubt that's the case since you called :club:.
Is this standard?Pot Limit OmahaHeroUTG+1MPVil 1 is COVil 2 is ButtonSBBBPreflop: (1.5x) Hero is UTG with As Ac 7d 2cHero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP folds, Vil 1 raises to 5.5x, Vil 2 calls, SB folds, BB folds, Hero raises to 24.5x, UTG+1 folds, Vil 1 calls, Vil 2 callsFlop: (76x) 7c 8d 3d (3 players)Hero bets 75.5x, Vil 1 calls, Vil 2 foldsTurn: (227x) 7s 8d 3d 9d (2 players)River: (227x) 7s 8d 3d 9d 9c (2 players)Showdown: (227x)
thoughts:your hand's completely transparent, really. fortunately, his hand is never really made at this point. i think your shove is fairly standard with the stack and pot sizes if things were hu, but 3h, i would likely c/f unless i had the nfd as well.
if he bet about pot, meh, it's close. if he's decent and is betting that with his pairs and his real hands, then that's close, hardly a big mistake, though, if it is one at all. if he's straightforward, it's obviously terrible, but i doubt that's the case since you called :club:.thoughts:your hand's completely transparent, really. fortunately, his hand is never really made at this point. i think your shove is fairly standard with the stack and pot sizes if things were hu, but 3h, i would likely c/f unless i had the nfd as well.
Hand 1: In my game the standard line goes raise 5xish and then bet pot in most situations so that really doesn't tell us anything. Since he just flat called the raise pre-draw he could have as bad as a good T draw. Since I drew 2 he will bet in that spot almost 100% of the time (I think he would check an A, K, or bad Q), plus it felt like he was pulling some kind of move. Results: He had the old 97764 :)Hand 2: I think I really had to choice but to make my hand obvious here. I also think it’s fairly close as to whether that's a shove on the flop or not. How do you guys tend to play hands in early position? Results: Villain made a flush with QJTT double suited :ts
Hand 1: In my game the standard line goes raise 5xish and then bet pot in most situations so that really doesn't tell us anything. Since he just flat called the raise pre-draw he could have as bad as a good T draw. Since I drew 2 he will bet in that spot almost 100% of the time (I think he would check an A, K, or bad Q), plus it felt like he was pulling some kind of move. Results: He had the old 97764 :)Hand 2: I think I really had to choice but to make my hand obvious here. I also think it’s fairly close as to whether that's a shove on the flop or not. How do you guys tend to play hands in early position? Results: Villain made a flush with QJTT double suited :club:
i muck aaxx in ep in plo full ring. if people are bad, i'll setmine it.
standard? :club: it was a tough table, villain is fairly tricky.*** DEALING HANDS ***Dealt to checkymcfold [2h 8s 7c 2s 8h]Flyinbanana: folds pokerjl: folds Partorg: folds whirleymob: raises $5 to $10checkymcfold: calls $8Sensor: calls $5*** FIRST DRAW ***checkymcfold: discards 2 cards [2s 8h]Dealt to checkymcfold [2h 8s 7c] [9s 4c]Sensor: discards 2 cardswhirleymob: discards 2 cardscheckymcfold: checks Sensor: checks whirleymob: bets $5checkymcfold: raises $5 to $10Sensor: folds whirleymob: calls $5
I sliced out the rest of the hand for space's sake, but I'm assuming you are putting solid value on your 87 specifically because you folded a duece and eight? 278 seems like a unfavorable situation to be holding unless the table has shown some serious aptitude to being pushed around like rag dolls.I'm just curious if you put a lot of emphasis on playing marginal hands with *great* discarded blockers as a general rule, more for a "field position & defense" argument of equity as opposed to snowing/making a hand. I don't play much triple draw outside of fcp nutbars and goofing off at the lowest limits on slow nights, so any insight is appreciated. :ts
Just a interesting hand I thought, I pretty much pwn Vil 1 on a regular basis since he is so inside the box.Stud 83rd Street - (1.40 SB)Player: xx xx 3:diamond:___foldsVil 1: xx xx Q:club:___raises___foldsVil 2: xx xx 6:club:___calls___callsPlayer: xx xx 4:spade:___foldsHero: 8:diamond: 8:heart: K:heart:___raises
what limit are you playing? This has to be a Stars' first.
In Stud 8 one of the skills you will learn is moving people off high hands so you can take the high half of the pot. Obviously I wouldn't try this on calling stations but I will against tight players as well as good players. Being that I have a K up this hand I can represent K's in this spot and move him off Q's, if he calls or re-raises I will know he has a better hand then K's and can play perfectly against him on later streets. This play also adds deception to my game and will gain me extra bets in the future, people are not going to pay me off if they know I always have it in these type of spots.
It still doesn't change the fact that you are playing (88)K. On the plus side, you are playing it aggressively. On the negative, it's still not a strong hand and there are tons of cards your villain will catch to force you to at least 5th, if not showdown, no matter how aggressive you are. It's not the worst situation in the world, but when I focus on playing fewer hands (lord knows we all need to sometimes), these are the kind of spots I'll manually hit the fold button against my will PF.. I'm far more comfortable making this play in stud hi than stud8.
I will for sure get called by any two pair hand, I turn these guys into calling stations with the style I employ in Stud 8.
In most instances, this is 100% correct.
Even though you've been driving the betting with a K showing and by 6th you also have a pair of T's showing?
This is a good example of why this isn't "most instances". The real problem isn't the negative freeroll, it's the fact that if Pdiddy check/calls river it's essentially the same negative freeroll, since he's got TT showing and villain is far too likely to check behind nearly *any* bluff, any weak low, and most hands between a pair of tens and Kings up.So he's got little going either way; it's a marginal spot. By betting the river, however, he at *least* is able to rep the Kings up he claims to have. Unfortunately, that can potentially fold out the Jacks up he's can win a bet with. But he's still better off betting, since Jacks up from a busted low is still checking behind 90% of the time. I'm not even sold that, besides a third deuce, there's much (if anything) that villain can catch to win the high half anyways. If villain had a low + legit high draw (flush/straight/etc), we'd have heard about it on 4th-6th, no matter how tight/loose the villain is. I'd say we get *raised* on this river about 1 in 30 times. So it's pretty darn safe to bet.
I play in a live game 30/60, I wouldn't try this against the players on stars.
That answers the question, then. :club:
It still doesn't change the fact that you are playing (88)K. On the plus side, you are playing it aggressively. On the negative, it's still not a strong hand and there are tons of cards your villain will catch to force you to at least 5th, if not showdown, no matter how aggressive you are. It's not the worst situation in the world, but when I focus on playing fewer hands (lord knows we all need to sometimes), these are the kind of spots I'll manually hit the fold button against my will PF.. I'm far more comfortable making this play in stud hi than stud8.I have a question if say the 6 raises would you fold the K88? In a tight game I would say no, the 6 rarely will have me beat and I can play perfectly against the villain since I am a much better player then him. Since I know the Q is folding around 99% of the time (barring the unlikely KK, AA, or QQ in the hole) its just like raising after the 6 has open raised. I am pretty comfortable in spots like these.In most instances, this is 100% correct. :club: This is a good example of why this isn't "most instances". The real problem isn't the negative freeroll, it's the fact that if Pdiddy check/calls river it's essentially the same negative freeroll, since he's got TT showing and villain is far too likely to check behind nearly *any* bluff, any weak low, and most hands between a pair of tens and Kings up.So he's got little going either way; it's a marginal spot. By betting the river, however, he at *least* is able to rep the Kings up he claims to have. Unfortunately, that can potentially fold out the Jacks up he's can win a bet with. But he's still better off betting, since Jacks up from a busted low is still checking behind 90% of the time. I'm not even sold that, besides a third deuce, there's much (if anything) that villain can catch to win the high half anyways. If villain had a low + legit high draw (flush/straight/etc), we'd have heard about it on 4th-6th, no matter how tight/loose the villain is. I'd say we get *raised* on this river about 1 in 30 times. So it's pretty darn safe to bet.You explained it much better then I did, I agree with everything you said :ts

All I can say is whhhhaaaa to this one. Villain is really good; he is a better 2-7 SD player then me. He is very capable of bluff raising in this spot as well as c/r value towning it here. He has seen me make some pretty sick calls but hasn't caught me bluffing. Despite my image he is capable of thinking on multiple levels in this game (He knows that I know he knows he is a labelled a calling station but I know he knows I know that so since I know that he knows that I know that he knows he is labelled a calling station I am going to [insert bluff/value check-raise]). Do I just call and pray?No Limit 2-7 Single DrawUTGUTG+1MPVillainHero is ButtonSBVil is BBHand: [8d 8h 6h 5s 3s]Pre-draw: (3.25 BB)UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP, folds, CO folds, Hero raises to 5x, SB folds, Vil callsVil takes 1, Hero takes 1.Hand: [Td 8h 6h 5s 3s]Post-draw: (12.25 BB)Vil checks, Hero bets 11.5x, Vil raises to 37.5x, Hero?

I just find it an interesting spot because it illustrates "heat of the moment" as opposed to cold-static, post-hand analysis.Simply put, 7th street gets dealt and you gotta hit the mental checklist:1. ) If I bet will I get called by worse? (yes)2. ) If I check will I get bet into by bluff/worse two pair? (not likely)3. ) If I bet will I get raised by better? (very, very unlikely)4. ) Is he ever checking behind with a hand that beats Kings Up? (fairly unlikely)Since it's so unlikely to get raised, and you have much to gain by betting the river. Another plus: If he *does* fold, you don't have to reveal that you didn't have Kings when you reraised on 3rd. Very good if the table pays attention.As to your other question: I fold (88)K if it's bet and raised in front of me.. Calling 2 bets cold, much less raising to a third bet, is a losing play. And your reverse implied odds are big, too, since in order to improve your hand you either need to pair the board or your king, both of which is in the open for god and everyone to see. Only hitting a 3rd 8 really gives you a hand that is going to get paid off handsomely.In short, putting in 3 bets cold is way too steep a price to pay when you only are playing for half the pot. Putting in that 3rd bet will also bloat the pot to the point the 6 will get to see 5th at *least* and potentially get into a freerolling spot where you are doubly screwed. Getting the Q to fold and playing the 6 heads isn't a particularly bad spot, but we don't have any guarantees that will happen. No matter the justification: it's putting in 3 bets needlessly with a marginal hand, and against players who haven't made a name for themselves on their ability to make tough folds.

All I can say is whhhhaaaa to this one. Villain is really good; he is a better 2-7 SD player then me. He is very capable of bluff raising in this spot as well as c/r value towning it here. He has seen me make some pretty sick calls but hasn't caught me bluffing. Despite my image he is capable of thinking on multiple levels in this game (He knows that I know he knows he is a labelled a calling station but I know he knows I know that so since I know that he knows that I know that he knows he is labelled a calling station I am going to [insert bluff/value check-raise]). Do I just call and pray?No Limit 2-7 Single DrawUTGUTG+1MPVillainHero is ButtonSBVil is BBHand: [8d 8h 6h 5s 3s]Pre-draw: (3.25 BB)UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP, folds, CO folds, Hero raises to 5x, SB folds, Vil callsVil takes 1, Hero takes 1.Hand: [Td 8h 6h 5s 3s]Post-draw: (12.25 BB)Vil checks, Hero bets 11.5x, Vil raises to 37.5x, Hero?
Fun hand, tbh. It's pretty safe to say that he knows you'll bet about 99.98% of the time he checks to you post-draw?Since that's the case, you almost have to call if he raises, and esepecially since he slightly overraises. A made ten is a lot stronger than you are supposed to show up with here.. He may even be semi-bluffing with a J or Q or 22 here.As always, wait for Checky on anything draw-related. :club:
I just find it an interesting spot because it illustrates "heat of the moment" as opposed to cold-static, post-hand analysis.Simply put, 7th street gets dealt and you gotta hit the mental checklist:1. ) If I bet will I get called by worse? (yes)2. ) If I check will I get bet into by bluff/worse two pair? (not likely)3. ) If I bet will I get raised by better? (very, very unlikely)4. ) Is he ever checking behind with a hand that beats Kings Up? (fairly unlikely)Since it's so unlikely to get raised, and you have much to gain by betting the river. Another plus: If he *does* fold, you don't have to reveal that you didn't have Kings when you reraised on 3rd. Very good if the table pays attention.This is another good point Cappy, it was a very interesting hand.As to your other question: I fold (88)K if it's bet and raised in front of me.. Calling 2 bets cold, much less raising to a third bet, is a losing play. And your reverse implied odds are big, too, since in order to improve your hand you either need to pair the board or your king, both of which is in the open for god and everyone to see. Only hitting a 3rd 8 really gives you a hand that is going to get paid off handsomely.In short, putting in 3 bets cold is way too steep a price to pay when you only are playing for half the pot. Putting in that 3rd bet will also bloat the pot to the point the 6 will get to see 5th at *least* and potentially get into a freerolling spot where you are doubly screwed. Getting the Q to fold and playing the 6 heads isn't a particularly bad spot, but we don't have any guarantees that will happen. No matter the justification: it's putting in 3 bets needlessly with a marginal hand, and against players who haven't made a name for themselves on their ability to make tough folds.Cappy I think you misunderstood my question or it wasn't worded properly. If say the 6 open raises (say the Q dropped over dead) and it folds to you with [88]K your not folding correct? That's kind of like this situation if you look at it closely (where the action goes Q raises, 6 calls, I re-raise with [88]K), the Q is folding a very high percentage of the time letting me get heads up with the 6 where I would play accordingly on later streets. As far as I am concerned pushing small edges like these is what Stud 8 or better is all about and I am very good at doing that. fyi if the betting went Q raises 6 re-raises I would fold the (88)K as that is a spot where the 6's range isn't well defined unlike the previous situation.
Fun hand, tbh. It's pretty safe to say that he knows you'll bet about 99.98% of the time he checks to you post-draw?Yes, except I will usually just show down an Ace, King, or rough Q in that spot.Since that's the case, you almost have to call if he raises, and esepecially since he slightly overraises. A made ten is a lot stronger than you are supposed to show up with here.. He may even be semi-bluffing with a J or Q or 22 here.As always, wait for Checky on anything draw-related. :ts
All hands against this guy are always "fun" :club:

My challenge is going good, I havn't had a losing session yet with my new account. It's really is funny the level of play, you would think some of them would at least skim through a basic strategy guide. One guy capped on every street against me with T's and 6's in Stud 8 against a low board. I was laughing from start to finish :club:

Pdiddy, back to the Stud-8 hand for a second. You said: "That's kind of like this situation if you look at it closely (where the action goes Q raises, 6 calls, I re-raise with [88]K), the Q is folding a very high percentage of the time letting me get heads up with the 6 where I would play accordingly on later streets. As far as I am concerned pushing small edges like these is what Stud 8 or better is all about and I am very good at doing that. fyi if the betting went Q raises 6 re-raises I would fold the (88)K as that is a spot where the 6's range isn't well defined unlike the previous situation."What about if the betting went: Q raised, 6 calls, you 3-bet, Q 4-bets. Would you then fold your 88K, feeling confident that Q is a made pair and you're drawing to 5 outs?

I'm going to change tack a bit with this question.I've been playing micro stakes HORSE STTs lately and I find that one of the most challenging parts of them is when we're getting deep, I'm shortstacked, and we're starting the LHE round. I don't have the slightest clue how to play LHE when shortstacked. Since I can't rely on push-steals, I usually end up nitting it up during that round, which of course leaves me even more short going into the next round if I don't hit a hand. Any advice? I've decided I need to focus on taking chances during the Stud and Stud-8 rounds if I'm short to avoid being too short during the LHE round, but is there any secret to playing LHE shortstacked?

Pdiddy, back to the Stud-8 hand for a second. You said: "That's kind of like this situation if you look at it closely (where the action goes Q raises, 6 calls, I re-raise with [88]K), the Q is folding a very high percentage of the time letting me get heads up with the 6 where I would play accordingly on later streets. As far as I am concerned pushing small edges like these is what Stud 8 or better is all about and I am very good at doing that. fyi if the betting went Q raises 6 re-raises I would fold the (88)K as that is a spot where the 6's range isn't well defined unlike the previous situation."What about if the betting went: Q raised, 6 calls, you 3-bet, Q 4-bets. Would you then fold your 88K, feeling confident that Q is a made pair and you're drawing to 5 outs?
If the Q 4 bets its range is broken down to AA, KK, or QQ in the hole, since there are so many bets in on 3rd I have the right price to call on 3rd and see what develops on 4th but the hand will most likely go no further unless I hit gin.
I'm going to change tack a bit with this question.I've been playing micro stakes HORSE STTs lately and I find that one of the most challenging parts of them is when we're getting deep, I'm shortstacked, and we're starting the LHE round. I don't have the slightest clue how to play LHE when shortstacked. Since I can't rely on push-steals, I usually end up nitting it up during that round, which of course leaves me even more short going into the next round if I don't hit a hand. Any advice? I've decided I need to focus on taking chances during the Stud and Stud-8 rounds if I'm short to avoid being too short during the LHE round, but is there any secret to playing LHE shortstacked?
LHE is basically the worst game to play short stacked but if you’re down to just a few bets, any hand you play should go to the river unless the board gets really really ugly for your hand.
Yep, he is sorta a calling station in general though.
It would have been nice to have this information in the original post.
It still doesn't change the fact that you are playing (88)K. On the plus side, you are playing it aggressively. On the negative, it's still not a strong hand and there are tons of cards your villain will catch to force you to at least 5th, if not showdown, no matter how aggressive you are. It's not the worst situation in the world, but when I focus on playing fewer hands (lord knows we all need to sometimes), these are the kind of spots I'll manually hit the fold button against my will PF.. I'm far more comfortable making this play in stud hi than stud8.
If we can narrow the Q's continuing range after diddy's raise to be something rediculously small like AA, KK or rolled Q's, then we can essentially consider him to be out of the hand and analyze it as an "88K vs xx6" problem on 3rd street. The equity edge swings either to diddy's 88K or the villain xx6 depending on the myriad of hands the villain can have; but this paradox is solved by the fact that diddy is a good post-street player and will be able to reconcile any equity losses and exploit the crap out of any equity gains he recieves. On 4th street, I think that his bet is correct being that diddy's read on the villain is that he's a calling station in general. Being that the villain is stationish, that weakens the strength of his 4-low cards enough to give diddy an equity edge most of the time here, making his bet a good one.I don't know about how I feel about the 7th street bet though. My first impression is that its not a good bet, but I'll have to think it over some more.No hostility in this post.

What do you think of this??I was thinking that since finchie44 checked 4th street, he couldnt have trips or two pair because it would be criminal not to bet 4th to protect his hand with either of those holdings. So when he bets on 5th, the only hand that makes sense to me is a flush draw. So I call him and plan to fold to a club on 6th street or a suspected club on the river. He gets the club on 6th street and leads. I thought about it for a while and folded. Although I was getting the right price to try to boat up on the river, I felt that USAREBEL was going to jam it up if I flat-called 6th street. I also put finchie44 on a flush...so that meant that I was beat. So I folded. Do you agree with my line?Hand #240314610387 Card Stud *High-Low* ($0.50/$1.00), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.25 *3rd Street* - (0.80 SB)gfdsa146: Kh 2d Kd___raises___raisessansbury: xx xx Qs___foldsUSAREBEL: xx xx 8h___calls___calls40licks: xx xx 3d___*brings-in*___raises___callspoconoman: xx xx Th___foldsfinchie44: xx xx 9c___calls___calls___callsrivdo: xx xx Qd___foldskev94: xx xx 4h___folds*4th Street* - (12.80 SB)gfdsa146: Kh 2d Kd 8s___checksUSAREBEL: xx xx 8h 2h___checks40licks: xx xx 3d 5h___checksfinchie44: xx xx 9c 9d___*checks**5th Street* - (6.40 BB)gfdsa146: Kh 2d Kd 8s 7s___calls___callsUSAREBEL: xx xx 8h 2h As___raises40licks: xx xx 3d 5h Kc___foldsfinchie44: xx xx 9c 9d 7c___*bets*___calls*6th Street* - (12.40 BB)gfdsa146: Kh 2d Kd 8s 7s 7h___foldsUSAREBEL: xx xx 8h 2h As 3h___callsfinchie44: xx xx 9c 9d 7c 8c___*bets**River* - (14.40 BB)USAREBEL: xx xx 8h 2h As 3h xx___callsfinchie44: xx xx 9c 9d 7c 8c xx___*bets**Total pot:* (16.40 BB)

I can't believe I'm saying this but I have a new fav cash game on FT: .25-.50 Limit Razz. It's not the most exciting game in the world but it seems really, really easy to play well.
Jmbreslin, this is just...just... I can't even get the words out there. I HATE RAZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!
What do you think of this??I was thinking that since finchie44 checked 4th street, he couldnt have trips or two pair because it would be criminal not to bet 4th to protect his hand with either of those holdings. So when he bets on 5th, the only hand that makes sense to me is a flush draw. So I call him and plan to fold to a club on 6th street or a suspected club on the river. He gets the club on 6th street and leads. I thought about it for a while and folded. Although I was getting the right price to try to boat up on the river, I felt that USAREBEL was going to jam it up if I flat-called 6th street. I also put finchie44 on a flush...so that meant that I was beat. So I folded. Do you agree with my line?Hand #240314610387 Card Stud *High-Low* ($0.50/$1.00), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.25 *3rd Street* - (0.80 SB)gfdsa146: Kh 2d Kd___raises___raisessansbury: xx xx Qs___foldsUSAREBEL: xx xx 8h___calls___calls40licks: xx xx 3d___*brings-in*___raises___callspoconoman: xx xx Th___foldsfinchie44: xx xx 9c___calls___calls___callsrivdo: xx xx Qd___foldskev94: xx xx 4h___folds*4th Street* - (12.80 SB)gfdsa146: Kh 2d Kd 8s___checksUSAREBEL: xx xx 8h 2h___checks40licks: xx xx 3d 5h___checksfinchie44: xx xx 9c 9d___*checks**5th Street* - (6.40 BB)gfdsa146: Kh 2d Kd 8s 7s___calls___callsUSAREBEL: xx xx 8h 2h As___raises40licks: xx xx 3d 5h Kc___foldsfinchie44: xx xx 9c 9d 7c___*bets*___calls*6th Street* - (12.40 BB)gfdsa146: Kh 2d Kd 8s 7s 7h___foldsUSAREBEL: xx xx 8h 2h As 3h___callsfinchie44: xx xx 9c 9d 7c 8c___*bets**River* - (14.40 BB)USAREBEL: xx xx 8h 2h As 3h xx___callsfinchie44: xx xx 9c 9d 7c 8c xx___*bets**Total pot:* (16.40 BB)
Fold 5th - you're drawing to half a pot against a possible low jammer. You are most likely behind for hi pot, as pair+flush-draw is ahead of you. If he has made trips, 2 pair etc all means you should just fold the hand. You haven't got the odds to catch good, so it's best to save the bet.