I was playing in a .01/.02 just for practice last night and held AKo in MP with 70BB. I raised 4x and player behind me 3bet shoved his 300BB stack. Had a pretty good read on him, made the call. I don't know much about (SPR) stack-to-pot ratio (or even if it's reliable, I've heard things), so I don't know at what point my stack is too big to make this call. Obviously I'm ahead of his range, but is there a point when you don't want to take a possible coin flip? Is 70BB too big? I figured under 100BB is OK. All I know is I wouldn't call with 300BB, but I really don't know why. Does SPR offer some sort of formula, or is it all based on how much you want to risk?ps.If this all seems elementary, I've been playing Limit and SnG's for the last 1 1/2 years. Don't come across these situations a lot :club:

SPR has more to do with post flop play and commitment thresholds. This is really a simple pot odds/ev calculation. The deeper you are the smaller the odds your getting on a massive overbet so the less likely it'll be +EV to call. If you're initial raise is half the effective stacks you're getting 3:1 on a call and it's super easy to call. Also the deeper the effective stacks the less likely you're ahead of your opponent's range - if stacks are 10,000BB he's likely only getting it in with AA and you'd be insane to call.Here it depends a lot on what range you can give villain and your love of variance. If you give villain 66-QQ, AJs+, AKo you're a 48:52 dog and it's a slightly +EV call, if you include KK,AA in his range it's going to be very slightly -EV.

I don't know much about (SPR) stack-to-pot ratio (or even if it's reliable, I've heard things), so I don't know at what point my stack is too big to make this call. Obviously, I'm ahead of his range, but is there a point when you don't want to take a possible coin flip?
Given the bold statement:
  1. Call unless you're under-rolled.
  2. Don't be under-rolled.

It doesn't really matter that he had 300 bbs, if you only have 70 bbs.Although, of course there are implications to be considered, if there were people to act in between (and it looks like there were in this case) so he'd likely have a stronger hand than if he was just shoving over you.Nonetheless, at 1c/2c, this is a snap call, imho.

SPR has more to do with post flop play and commitment thresholds. This is really a simple pot odds/ev calculation. The deeper you are the smaller the odds your getting on a massive overbet so the less likely it'll be +EV to call. If you're initial raise is half the effective stacks you're getting 3:1 on a call and it's super easy to call. Also the deeper the effective stacks the less likely you're ahead of your opponent's range - if stacks are 10,000BB he's likely only getting it in with AA and you'd be insane to call.Here it depends a lot on what range you can give villain and your love of variance. If you give villain 66-QQ, AJs+, AKo you're a 48:52 dog and it's a slightly +EV call, if you include KK,AA in his range it's going to be very slightly -EV.
Given the bold statement:
  1. Call unless you're under-rolled.
  2. Don't be under-rolled.

I plugged in same as above as well as AA & KK but also AJo+, KQo,KQs. KQo may be a little wide, but I don't think AQo is far fetched. I was punishing this guy in the blinds all day and he made very few stands, but chatted about the repercussions of betting against him. I know he 3bet me with JT once, but it was at another table when I had like 400BB. Pokerstove put me at like 62/38 or something. I don't know if I'm using this thing wrong (I used pokerllama.com for a long time, but it takes a long time).EDIT: Meant to reword my statement, "Obviously, I think I'm ahead of his range..." as in I'm not just calling cause "meez gotz ace kingz!"
It doesn't really matter that he had 300 bbs, if you only have 70 bbs.Although, of course there are implications to be considered, if there were people to act in between (and it looks like there were in this case) so he'd likely have a stronger hand than if he was just shoving over you.Nonetheless, at 1c/2c, this is a snap call, imho.
I should have mentioned this was 6max, so less acting behind. And yeah, that factored into my decision making process pretty strongly.

You know his range better than I given the history and stuff but don't delude yourself. Sounds to me like he showed up with a big hand and you're trying to justify the call. It's easy to give villain a range that makes this a snap call and easy to give villain a range that makes this an insta-fold. I think that even with history a realistic range has you close to neutral EV on a call so it doesn't matter much either way if you call or fold.

You know his range better than I given the history and stuff but don't delude yourself. Sounds to me like he showed up with a big hand and you're trying to justify the call. It's easy to give villain a range that makes this a snap call and easy to give villain a range that makes this an insta-fold. I think that even with history a realistic range has you close to neutral EV on a call so it doesn't matter much either way if you call or fold.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^this is what went through my mind
I hope I didn't come off this way. This was more based on a statement my friend made about AK not being that ahead of random hands and whether I would have risked the same amount if I was playing 1/2+. I try to think of stakes in terms BB's instead of $$$, which is why I kinda discounted what he said. But, it got me wondering how many BB's would I call with or whether that should even matter. Like I said, I'm playing .01/.02 for practice before I get back into NLHE cash, but i don't want to be doing/not doing things in practice that I would be doing in the games I am BR'ed for.
I hope I didn't come off this way. This was more based on a statement my friend made about AK not being that ahead of random hands and whether I would have risked the same amount if I was playing 1/2+. I try to think of stakes in terms BB's instead of $$$, which is why I kinda discounted what he said. But, it got me wondering how many BB's would I call with or whether that should even matter. Like I said, I'm playing .01/.02 for practice before I get back into NLHE cash, but i don't want to be doing/not doing things in practice that I would be doing in the games I am BR'ed for.
For me, I think the whole AK AI for 70 BBs boils down to a read.

I called an AI with AK the other day for 200bb, and I'm a nit. (Though my opponent was an idiot)It's not a bad call at all for 100bb, imo, and snap call for 70bb.Let's not forget, AK is a tier one hand :club: