Colin Cowherd Is The Worst Talk Show Host Of All Time..

I can't agree with you here. Back when it was Dale and Bob Neumeier, it was a great show. Holley is ok, and an adequate replacement for Neumy, but Dale has taken on a much bigger role and is really full of himself. Plus, 1/3 of the show is hockey talk. They generally get some of the better interviews, and the Ken Rosenthal every week is one of the best on the radio, but I really dislike Dale. He is also horrendous calling the Sox games. Give me O'Brien any day. Dale was an amazing hockey announcer, however, and I'm still not sure why NESN stopped having him do the home games. But he sucks doing baseball, and is way too combative to callers with different viewpoints. I quoted this, and I'm thinking I quoted the wrong thing.This, while probably factually accurate, is a load of crap. Irregardless of the reasons behind Red Sox Nation, however stupid and meaningless the term is, Sox fans "travel" better than any other team, and the amount of people at away games that cheer for Boston is ridiculous and annoying. They're #2 in road attendance this year (the only AL team in the top 13) and have been #1 or #2 in road attendance the last 4 years. I'm not saying I don't hate the majority of Red Sox fans, or that your history of "Redbird Nation" isn't correct, but it comes off of as a strangely jealous post that the best traveling team in MLB has a nickname that is similar to your beloved Cardinals from decades ago.
it's not jealousy, I just think that ESPN should put forth a little effort to be original (like they used to do), instead of ripping a nickname of another team
And to be fair my local sports station still has him on at the same time, so I just assumed he started back up again. :club:
he's back on the air, but he's with CNNSI now
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong. Lebatard's golden age is now.

it's not jealousy, I just think that ESPN should put forth a little effort to be original (like they used to do), instead of ripping a nickname of another teamhe's back on the air, but he's with CNNSI now
ESPN hasn't been original in a while. Overall I agree with you, and I really don't watch much ESPN at all. MLB Extra Innings occupies most of my time. Pujols just sneezed and took out the Padres bullpen. Game is canceled.

Dan Patrick gets better guests, and can be genuinely witty at times...Yes, I would rather listen to Stephan A Smith than Colin Cowherd.. and Mike T. as well. Mike's show is boring , but at least it's not negative value. And I have an inexplicable soft spot for stephan A. I can't defend it at all. But, Scott Van Pelt is a better radio guy than him.

Dan Patrick gets better guests, and can be genuinely witty at times...
I thought his show really went down hill when Dibble left for XM and Fox. Showkiller was alright, but didn't provide a good banter partner.
Can we all agree that Skip Bayless should never be allowed to speak in public again? I hate that guy.There are only a few sports talk shows that are worthwhile...luckily for me, one of them is a local show in Boston (though most Boston sports radio is absolute shit). Can someone from around here please back me up about Dale and Holley being fantastic?
dale and holley is very good. bob neumier and dale was the best though.
fully agree, I can't stand him eitherHowever, the man knows "sport" not sports but sport and that's football...that's the main reason I stopped listening to his show because he talks 90% of the time about football.I quit listening to ESPN Radio (thank god for "MLB Home Plate" XM 175) altogether shortly thereafter because I got sick and tired of hearing Yankees/Red Sox this, Duke/UNC that, NFL, NBA, blah blah blah. It's really ESPN in general that's not worth watching nor listening to anymore. Cowherd is just one of their mules that spouts a bunch of rhetoric that Bristol wants on the airwaves.ESPN single handedly made Yankees v. Red Sox what it is today because that's all they report on. Until Thurman Munson and Carlton Fisk started trading barbs with each other the rivalry was non-existent and tickets could be found on game day at both stadiums. ESPN ripped off the term "Redbird Nation" and applied it to the Red Sox to create this BS "Red Sox Nation" that only came into the American consciousness in 2004. Redbird Nation was part of the midwest vernacular when my dad was a kid over 60 years ago when the term actually meant something. At one point the St. Louis Cardinals were the farthest west and farthest south team in MLB. Couple that with KMOX's extremely wide broadcast area the Cardinals became the team of choice for residents in many states west and south...thus Redbird Nation was coined. Just shows how ESPN is geared nowadays.
ESPN didnt create Red Sox nation. The term was first used in an article by a man named Nathan Cobb way back in 1986. It was written in the Boston Globe. I will need some hard evidence on when the term Red Bird Nation first appeared in print. Also I'm pretty sure that there has always been a Yanks - Sox rivalry. Ever since the sox sold them Ruth. I assume you hate the Sox but i loathe the Cards (although i do love the Rick Ankiel story). Jeff Suppan getting thrown out at third by the Large Father is my favorite St Louis moment ever.
ESPN single handedly made Yankees v. Red Sox what it is today because that's all they report on.
No, they report on it because it's such a great rivalry. I see what you're saying, but the "single handedly" in this sentence makes it pretty ridiculous. Maybe they blow it out of proportion a bit, but not that much...it really is as intense as they make it out to be. There's the whole East Coast bias thing, but that's just because we have the most and the most passionate fan bases for baseball. Cardinals fans are great, and probably think they're as passionate as Sox/Yanks fans, but they're wrong. I lived in St. Louis for 4 years, and while baseball fans there are knowledgeable (sp) and care a lot, it's a different level from what it's like out here. You'd have to have lived in both places to understand the difference, so I fully understand why you're about to disagree with me and say that we're all assholes that think we're better than you. Anyway, it's not always a good thing to be as passionate as Sox fans...it's borderline insanity.
dale and holley is very good. bob neumier and dale was the best though.
Yes, you and Theraflu are correct, Dale and Neumie were better. But I like Holley...and I must listen to them at weird hours, because I rarely hear the hockey talk. Or maybe I just tune out mentally when they talk hockey.Anyways, I still think they're light years better than D&C and The Big Show, as well as most of ESPN radio.
ESPN didnt create Red Sox nation. The term was first used in an article by a man named Nathan Cobb way back in 1986. It was written in the Boston Globe.
You're good.

I meant to say this yesterday, but forgot.Toucher and Rich on WBCN in Boston have been doing "worst sportscasters" bracket for a month or so now. It's been pretty good for a music stations bracket. Anyways, when I first read the topic title I immediately thought of this.worstbroadcasters.jpgFor those from outside of Boston, The Big Show is on drive time on EEI opposite Toucher and Rich. EEI is the biggest sports radio channel in the country, or right up there, and they are also owned as the same people as WAAF, so their road the finals is kind of tainted because T&R spend at least half hour every show ripping WAAF and WEEI. But the Big Show isn't good, and for the most part it's just idiot Boston fans calling up with terrible ideas and questions, while the hosts make fun of them. Because of their popularity though, they get great interviews, and the Belicheck hour interview every week is one of the best out there. They also have Danny Ainge on weekly, and lots of others...but overall it's not a very listenable show. Half of it is the callers however. Boston sports fans are mostly idiots.

I meant to say this yesterday, but forgot.Toucher and Rich on WBCN in Boston have been doing "worst sportscasters" bracket for a month or so now. It's been pretty good for a music stations bracket. Anyways, when I first read the topic title I immediately thought of this.worstbroadcasters.jpgFor those from outside of Boston, The Big Show is on drive time on EEI opposite Toucher and Rich. EEI is the biggest sports radio channel in the country, or right up there, and they are also owned as the same people as WAAF, so their road the finals is kind of tainted because T&R spend at least half hour every show ripping WAAF and WEEI. But the Big Show isn't good, and for the most part it's just idiot Boston fans calling up with terrible ideas and questions, while the hosts make fun of them. Because of their popularity though, they get great interviews, and the Belicheck hour interview every week is one of the best out there. They also have Danny Ainge on weekly, and lots of others...but overall it's not a very listenable show. Half of it is the callers however. Boston sports fans are mostly idiots.
Skip drawing Cowherd in the first round was lucky.
the "single handedly" in this sentence makes it pretty ridiculous.
I'm pretty sure no one had even heard of New York City before ESPN started talking about it.What about Raider Nation? Huh? Where do we play into all this? Be careful what you say. We might have to send someone after you.OaktownPirate.JPGNo no. Not him.DarthWylie.JPGIf he gets a doctor's note. maybe.DerekandKatelyn.JPGJUST WAIT A FEW YEARS AND YOU'LL BE SORRY
  • 4 months later...
well, that's an incorrect feeling. I used to listen to him a bit.. as ESPN radio is the only sports talk that I can get in... but he drove me so crazy that I had to find something online.. now, I listen to "Kellerman and Kenny" ( Max Kellerman and Brian Kenny) out of ESPN NYC on webcast during that time slot, and I would love, love love them to take over that show. it might be the best sports show I've ever heard. Passionate, Kellerman and Kenny have strong opinions which they back up with statistics and logic. They have great guests and can be hilarious at times. While it is a regional show, and is focused mostly on NYC sports, which I don't really care that much about, Kenny and Kellerman are so good that I don't even care. Mostly, I brought it up because a friend of mine yesterday brought up how much he hates Cowherd and we had a spirted 10 minute bash fest about how bad his show is.. then, this morning, I heard a commercial for his show after Mike and Mike, and It got me fired up again.
Ok, so I've been listening to a lot of talk radio lately. In Des Moines have two AM sports talk stations and one of the two just started up. It's ESPN. The other is all local people. Anyway, Mike & Mike are awesome. I don't see how anyone couldn't like them. Colin Cowherd is awful... he's much much worse that you made him sound. I really enjoy Scott Van Pelt. I don't know if anyone has been bashing him, but I think he's great. PTI is perfect, obv.
Ok, so I've been listening to a lot of talk radio lately. In Des Moines have two AM sports talk stations and one of the two just started up. It's ESPN. The other is all local people. Anyway, Mike & Mike are awesome. I don't see how anyone couldn't like them. Colin Cowherd is awful... he's much much worse that you made him sound. I really enjoy Scott Van Pelt. I don't know if anyone has been bashing him, but I think he's great. PTI is perfect, obv.
here's the problem with mike and mike. At first, their sthick seems really nice and likable. But after a while, it gets really, really old. And Golic is such a Typical Football Anyalist guy.. I don't know how to really describe how awful cowherd is.. I don't think English contains the right words to properly capture how shitty he is.. I'll have to learn russian and get back to you.

Does this have to be sports only?Tom Lykis (sp) is worse. He's a good interviewer, but that doesn't make up for the 85% of his show that consists of "Men don't want fat chicks!", "Hot chicks want rich men!", and "Don't ever get married!"I mean, it's all true, but it's just the same thing over and over and over. And over.

Does this have to be sports only?Tom Lykis (sp) is worse. He's a good interviewer, but that doesn't make up for the 85% of his show that consists of "Men don't want fat chicks!", "Hot chicks want rich men!", and "Don't ever get married!"I mean, it's all true, but it's just the same thing over and over and over. And over.
no, that's very, very true. Lykus appeals to the lowest common denominator, and he preys on the stupidity and insecurity of dumb, young guys.
  • 9 months later...

I heard colin cowherd on the Bill Simmons podcast, which I listened to against my better judgment, and I actually liked him quite a bit. IT was shocking and disturbing. I think he's better suited for long form podcasts, without feeling the pressure of coming up with all these corny angles and terrible teases. I'm just going to chose to blame ESPN Radio for why the herd is so bad.

I haven't listened to this one, but I think the Simmons podcasts can be ok sometimes, but when I listen to The Lebatard Radio show on Podcast, the Simmons show becomes awful. I mean, all it is really is a conversation, usually with a buddy of his. He isn't that great of an interviewer and tries to stuff his humor in the convo instead of making his humor work inside the framework of the conversation. Like I said, it must be tough because he doesn't have a board op, sound effects or anything, but lately, Simmons has worn on my just a tad. What with the not writing, and then writing something boring when he does, and finally with that snarky, me and my buddies are cool and you can't be as cool as us because we have all of these inside jokes. That said, he's still a must read for me. But I'm not as enamored with him as I was two years ago. Still enamored though. Sorry, no opinion on Cowherd.

I haven't listened to this one, but I think the Simmons podcasts can be ok sometimes, but when I listen to The Lebatard Radio show on Podcast, the Simmons show becomes awful. I mean, all it is really is a conversation, usually with a buddy of his. He isn't that great of an interviewer and tries to stuff his humor in the convo instead of making his humor work inside the framework of the conversation. Like I said, it must be tough because he doesn't have a board op, sound effects or anything, but lately, Simmons has worn on my just a tad. What with the not writing, and then writing something boring when he does, and finally with that snarky, me and my buddies are cool and you can't be as cool as us because we have all of these inside jokes. That said, he's still a must read for me. But I'm not as enamored with him as I was two years ago. Still enamored though. Sorry, no opinion on Cowherd.
God the Lebatard show is good. It's by far the best sports radio show around right now.
God the Lebatard show is good. It's by far the best sports radio show around right now.
THANK YOUfinally, someone gets itThey just have a good chemistry and love the uncomfortable dead air, which kills me. That and I love LebatardLets talk about PTITony and Mike are the best, without question. If one left, I could still watch if Lebatard was the permanent replacement. Otherwise, I would drop it from my tivo list. Bob Ryan, while a legendary writer (although I've never read him) and very good at his job, I just don't like on TV. Too smug or something. JA Adande, not so much. Can't think of any other fill ins.
THANK YOUfinally, someone gets itThey just have a good chemistry and love the uncomfortable dead air, which kills me. That and I love LebatardLets talk about PTITony and Mike are the best, without question. If one left, I could still watch if Lebatard was the permanent replacement. Otherwise, I would drop it from my tivo list. Bob Ryan, while a legendary writer (although I've never read him) and very good at his job, I just don't like on TV. Too smug or something. JA Adande, not so much. Can't think of any other fill ins.
PTI is the greatest show in the history of ESPN, except for Rome is Burning. I'm ****ing kidding you idiot.Also Lebatard's podcast is an every other day listen for me. Love it.
I heard him (lebatard) and Simmons are doing some PTI this summer, and I actually think BS would be great at that format, giving short little pithy blurbs about people.I love Lebatard as a writer, I love his perspective on sports, and his show is legitimately funny. Not sports funny, but actually clever and creative. I'm so glad they have the whole show on podcast.
PTI is the greatest show in the history of ESPN, except for Rome is Burning. I'm ****ing kidding you idiot.Also Lebatard's podcast is an every other day listen for me. Love it.
around the horn was great with Max Kellerman. His contempt for the writards that came on the show was so hysterical.
around the horn was great with Max Kellerman. His contempt for the writards that came on the show was so hysterical.
I enjoyed the show when none of the writers were talking.