Official 2008 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil Dumatrait continues to impress. How many more starts does Gorzy get? As far as I know, he isn't out of options, so I don't know why they don't send him down until he can find the strike zone again.

I realize I'm talking to myself at this point, but here's my update.Snell & Gorzy - looks like they've turned it around, they're finding the strike zone more, and although they've had high pitch counts recently I think the fact that they're not walking nearly as many will lead to guys not taking as many pitches, eventually lowering the pitch counts.LaRoche - Time to go. Doumit - yikes. Absolutely on fire, and near the top of MLB catchers in a few stats while playing half as many games.Bay - Seems to have returned to the 30+ HR, 100 RBI guy we thought we had in him.McLouth - <3Paulino - The most interesting of all, I think. Shown some signs of brilliance, but always seems to have his attitude questioned. I think he showed a lot of character after being demoted, talking about how he was happy to be able to play everyday and looking forward to getting some swings. 10-16, 2 HR, 5 2B in his first 4 games in Indy.Bullpen - An absolute rock... responsible for keeping the team near .500, and if the starters keep improving, will be key to a 85+ win season.

16 years since they had more than 79 wins. Here's to hoping they'll be able to stop that this year...but I doubt it.

16 years since they had more than 79 wins. Here's to hoping they'll be able to stop that this year...but I doubt it.
gah, thats horrible. I've been fallowing them this year and they have impressed a little bit. Wish you guys the best of luck.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pirates outfielder Jason Bay is headed to the Red Sox. The Pirates will receive Andy LaRoche and right-hander Bryan Morris from the Dodgers and outfielder Damien Moss and releiver Craig Hansen from the Red Sox.Another LaRoche, sweet!Also, some speculation that Jack Wilson is headed to the Dodgers. This trade sucks if we gave up Jack and J-Bay.

We win on the Manny/Bay trade. Great prospects and the better LaRoche.
I like it a lot. I've loved Craig Hansen since I watched him through for St. John's in college, Moss is supposed to be a legit ML OF, LaRoche HAS TO BE better then his brother at a position the Pirates desperately need a good player, and the kid from the Dodgers is (I think) a former #1 pick who from everything I've heard has a HUGE ceiling.I like it.Did anyone see the one headline on 'The Onion' today? It said, "Yankees make up prospect to trade to Pirates" and made me lol, but I caught myself because I wouldn't be surprised if it happened :club:
I really would like to see Andy LaRoche have a big series against the DBacks, but I would settle for any Pirate to do so.
Looks like you're gonna need to make a second pick.
  • 2 weeks later...
WEEEEEEEEEEEEE PEDRO ALVAREZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2000 - Sean Burnett2001 - John Van Benschoten2002 - Bryan Bullington__________________________2003 - Paul Maholm2004 - Neil Walker2005 - Andrew McCutchen2006 - Brad Lincoln2007 - Daniel Moskos2008 - Pedro AlvarezThe 1st three are forgettable...but who knows how the next 6 will turn out. What's the deal with Walker...seems to be stinking it up average wise in Indy. I'm only interested because I was a teammate of his around 2000 in Fall ball. Awesome battery-mates I must say.
2000 - Sean Burnett2001 - John Van Benschoten2002 - Bryan Bullington__________________________2003 - Paul Maholm2004 - Neil Walker2005 - Andrew McCutchen2006 - Brad Lincoln2007 - Daniel Moskos2008 - Pedro AlvarezThe 1st three are forgettable...but who knows how the next 6 will turn out. What's the deal with Walker...seems to be stinking it up average wise in Indy. I'm only interested because I was a teammate of his around 2000 in Fall ball. Awesome battery-mates I must say.
I think you can safely throw Lincoln and Moskos into the forgettable category. They'll never wear a Pirates uniform.Both McCutchen and Walker will get a look next month, so maybe we can learn a little more about what we actually have with those guys.
I think you can safely throw Lincoln and Moskos into the forgettable category. They'll never wear a Pirates uniform.Both McCutchen and Walker will get a look next month, so maybe we can learn a little more about what we actually have with those guys.
Ya I'd be lying if I said I knew anything about them. 1 year and they've already given up on Moskos?
Ya I'd be lying if I said I knew anything about them. 1 year and they've already given up on Moskos?
I'm pretty sure Moskos was given up on before he was drafted.As far as Walker goes, I would imagine it has something to do with him still trying to learn a new position and really focusing on making himself good defensively. He is a pretty proven hitter, it will come and he will be a decent major league hitter, imo.(call me biased for showin love to the WPIAL guy, lol)