The olympics are coming up this summer and personally I can't wait. I love it. Its sports at its pureiest form. No money, just trying to be the best in the world. That being said I consider myself a sudo political person. Today there were 100 people murdered during a protest of the Dali Lama excile. The Chinese gov has taken another black eye. They seem to be doing that alot lately. My ? is should the US even consider boycotting the Olympics like they did in 1980 when they were held in Russia. They are a communist country which isnt the best, they have forceably moved people against their will to make room for stadiums and another things. They also have the worst pollution in the world that has caused some runners to say they aren't gonna risk there health based on that. I just have a bad feeling somthing bad is gonna happend here. I hate that people train 4 yrs to particaipate and then not get to compete. But this seems like a no win situation. Thoughts?

In case you haven't noticed our economy is 100% dependent upon China. The US wouldn't boycott this Olympics if they killed 100 Americans in Tibet.Also, the bolded underlined part is completely wrong.

The olympics are coming up this summer and personally I can't wait. I love it. Its sports at its pureiest form. No money, just trying to be the best in the world.
The Olympics are very much about money for both the countries and the athletes. I hate to break it to you, but the athletes are taken care of on your dime as soon as they qualify and sometimes even before that. If there was no money involved there would be no athletes juicing. There is no such thing as a "pure" sporting event anymore and I doubt there ever will be. The Olympics in particular could possibly be even more corrupt than the majority of sporting events and it starts with the selection process. The US sees the Olympics as just another way to try to show our superiority. If you broke down how much money we spent on each gold medal it would make you puke. The Olympics should have never even been given to China. Their record of human rights violations would be a sufficient excuse and it would not be hard to find several others. What is going on in Tibet right now is absurd, but unfortunately it's what happens anytime anyone tries to stand up to China. I don't see anything changing with that as long as they own the US. We certainly aren't going to be the ones to stand up to them anytime soon. Sorry..off the soapbox.
In case you haven't noticed our economy is 100% dependent upon China. The US wouldn't boycott this Olympics if they killed 100 Americans in Tibet.Also, the bolded underlined part is completely wrong.The Olympics are very much about money for both the countries and the athletes. I hate to break it to you, but the athletes are taken care of on your dime as soon as they qualify and sometimes even before that. If there was no money involved there would be no athletes juicing. There is no such thing as a "pure" sporting event anymore and I doubt there ever will be. The Olympics in particular could possibly be even more corrupt than the majority of sporting events and it starts with the selection process. The US sees the Olympics as just another way to try to show our superiority. If you broke down how much money we spent on each gold medal it would make you puke. The Olympics should have never even been given to China. Their record of human rights violations would be a sufficient excuse and it would not be hard to find several others. What is going on in Tibet right now is absurd, but unfortunately it's what happens anytime anyone tries to stand up to China. I don't see anything changing with that as long as they own the US. We certainly aren't going to be the ones to stand up to them anytime soon. Sorry..off the soapbox.
No soapbox..I apperciate your opinion. Your correct on the US is so dependent on China. I definetly agree. And they wont for that reason. When I said "pure" I really meant there are no huge salarys its basically amatuers who will move on after there time is up etc. But your right its awful they were originally rewarded the games. ITs a joke
Obviously the US won't boycott the olympics but I plan to not watch any of it, and I really like the Olympics.
I agree if something doesnt change Im gonna have to miss it also.Still can't believe the IOC awarded the olympics to China.

as a resident of a city that lost its bid to the hate mongers in China..This really pisses me off...However boycotting only punishes athletes, who have sacrificed their jobs, families and normal lives to train for 4 years..Not fair to them.

as a resident of a city that lost its bid to the hate mongers in China..This really pisses me off...However boycotting only punishes athletes, who have sacrificed their jobs, families and normal lives to train for 4 years..Not fair to them.
Except for the basketball teams of course. God forbid we continue to get our arse kicked by other country's pro athletes.
Except for the basketball teams of course. God forbid we continue to get our arse kicked by other country's pro athletes.
agreed
Dangit... you beat me to it.While I can appreciate your sympathy for the people of that horrid land... not watching the Olympics will have ZERO effect on anything political that happens in that country. ZERO.Enjoy the games...support our (your) athletes and write your Senator, Congressperson, Governator, President, King, Queen,.... whoever and express your disapproval of things going on there. Also shoot an email over to the Olympic Committee and tell them what spinelss turds they are for giving the Olympics to a place who torments and abuses their people.I'm off to get Cadbury Eggs now.Have a good day !
Obviously the US won't boycott the olympics but I plan to not watch any of it, and I really like the Olympics.
QFT. Between the shit in Tibet and China's support of the genocides in Darfur, I would not be able to sleep at night if I supported it in any way.

Let me tell you something. There are much bigger things the US is involved in with China than the olympics. Boycotting the Olympics would just be a superficial, meaningless gesture. If the us was to do something, they could, say, rip the "favored trading nation" status from them, stop trading with them and forbid US companies from going into business with them. But the US government, and US business really don't give 2 craps about darfur or tibet. The Big Leb's post is right on. Boycotting would be a meaningless gesture compared to the economic reality of the US's partnership with China

QFT. Between the shit in Tibet and China's support of the genocides in Darfur, I would not be able to sleep at night if I supported it in any way.
I agree and I think it is horrible the way that China is "dealing" with Darfur.