****official Chicago Cubs****

LOL at the Cubs. They got completely owned by the Marlins. They gave up probably their 3rd best prospect for 1 year of a reliever that will probably make 3.3-4 million next year and whos true talent level is somewhere around a league average reliever. The Marlins deserve credit for having a good front office.Also Gregg doesn't come close to being as good as Wood and should in no way stop them from resigning Wood.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuc k bud selig in his prolapsed colon. Mark cuban would have been the greatest owner in baseball.
Exactly. That's why Bud said he could never own the Cubs.

Cubs fans are actually happy about them signing Dempster to that contract? Hes going to be much worse in 2009 and he still has a long injury history. If I could get him for like 4/42 or 3/34 or something I would but never for 4/52. The Cubs would have been much better off imo if they just kept looking at free agent and trade possibilities and if they couldn't find a good fit go with having Marshall, Gaudin, Marquis and maybe even Hill fight for the 4/5 spots in the rotation. Even if they stayed pat they were probably going to make the playoffs anyways so I don't think they needed to go crazy and do something dumb.There has gotta be a better alternative for a starting pitcher than giving this contract to Dempster. I don't mean to bash the Cubs all the time, but I really don't like their offseason so far.

Cubs fans are actually happy about them signing Dempster to that contract? Hes going to be much worse in 2009 and he still has a long injury history. If I could get him for like 4/42 or 3/34 or something I would but never for 4/52.
Why do I care if they over pay Dempster by 10 million or not? It's not my money, and it's not like there's a hard salary cap or something. I actually like that they overpaid him, it's better than them not being involved in this off season at all, what with their sale looming and all. The only question is, do we want Dempster on the team ( which I do). If his contract is a "good" contract or not really isn't my concern, this isn't the NBA where a bad contract can kill you for 4-5 years, and the cubs aren't a small market team where it could actualyl prevent them from making other moves. Overpaying for players is a Brewers problem, not a Cubs problem.
Why do I care if they over pay Dempster by 10 million or not? It's not my money, and it's not like there's a hard salary cap or something. I actually like that they overpaid him, it's better than them not being involved in this off season at all, what with their sale looming and all. The only question is, do we want Dempster on the team ( which I do). If his contract is a "good" contract or not really isn't my concern, this isn't the NBA where a bad contract can kill you for 4-5 years, and the cubs aren't a small market team where it could actualyl prevent them from making other moves. Overpaying for players is a Brewers problem, not a Cubs problem.
Pretty much what I was gonna say.
  • 2 weeks later...

Yea Dempster had a career year last year and it won't happen again. I'm mad they're overpaying him because they may not think they need another frontline starter because they think Dempster already is one, which he isn't.

• 4 weeks later...
I think they got a bargain on a player like MB. I know he's a head case, but 10 million per is a steal for a player like him
I think the offense had to be improved, but I still think they payed too much for him. Hopefully he can stay on the field this season. Where do you guys think Lou puts him in the lineup?
I think the offense had to be improved, but I still think they payed too much for him. Hopefully he can stay on the field this season. Where do you guys think Lou puts him in the lineup?
?? He's an all star, switch hitter, who had a 321 average and over 1000 ops last year? IT's a bargin, not too much. If he wasn't notorious, he would have gotten around 15-18 million.
?? He's an all star, switch hitter, who had a 321 average and over 1000 ops last year? IT's a bargin, not too much. If he wasn't notorious, he would have gotten around 15-18 million.
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we have him but I just hope he can stay on the field. He's always injured!

I like the signing too and I only expect him to play like 320 games over the life of his contract. Hes a great player when hes playing though. Trading Derosa away for non-prospects was a terrible decision though. As was the Miles signing. I like the Marquis trade though.

Bradley couldn't even stay healthy as a DH last year, now he's going to be an everyday fielder?? Pretty good hitter when healthy, but I think Cubs fans are going to hate him pretty quick. He is a HUGE injury risk...almost a certainty. I guess a team with a bigger payroll can afford to take that huge risk though...can't say it's an awful deal...but it is far from a "steal." Never healthy and I'd imagine pretty awful in the field as well, due to lack of range. Meh.Pat Burrell, now THAT'S a steal....

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So are we any good yet? I have not had time to follow anything yet this year?
Soriano is on fire. Odd for him to start off that way, but good, since D Lee is kinda sucking.4-2 on the opening road trip. Opening Day at Wrigley today! If the rain doesn't ruin it.
  • 4 weeks later...
Tiny Tim will blow you guys away, just like last years start. :)T minus 30 minutes!
You're welcome. Lou decided to throw out the B team for ya.
  • 3 weeks later...