Official New York Rangers Thread

It's worded in legalise so as to allow for interpretation. I agree that it should be worded better.------------------I have blocked Serge's posts for the remainder of the playoffs because like the Leafs he is insignificant at this time of the season, but I'm sure he's praising Avery and thinks what he did was great.
Go **** yourself...Block that
  • Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that didn't piss off Marty, if there is a single player in the entire league that can win a series on his own its Marty. This reminds me of Domi's unnessesary elbow of Niedermiere in game 5 years ago that woke up the Devils. I need NYR in my pools but sometimes plays like this backfires. If NJ wins game 4 look out.

I hope that didn't piss off Marty, if there is a single player in the entire league that can win a series on his own its Marty. This reminds me of Domi's unnessesary elbow of Niedermiere in game 5 years ago that woke up the Devils. I need NYR in my pools but sometimes plays like this backfires. If NJ wins game 4 look out.
another black hole in Maple Leaf playoff history..I totally agree that was the turning point that did the Leafs in, and you may be right here....

From Kevin Smith's Playoffs Blog:2) Avery’s ooga-booga antics: Did Sean Avery remind anyone else of the animated Harlem Globetrotters when they met up with the Scooby Doo gang? Y’know – like pulling fire extinguishers out of their pants and doing stuff on the court in the cartoon that made their non-animated counterparts in real life look like the Chicago Bulls, circa Michael Jordan. The dude flat-out turned his back on the game and started flapping his wings at Marty like he was a club-kid on Ecstasy hearing “It’s the End of the World as We Know it” for the first time. Sure, it’s a legal move (and only something you can even think about trying when you’ve been blessed with a two man advantage), and granted, a minute or so later, he somehow managed to score thanks to a gift of an assist (Gomer – why’d you never play this well when you were collecting your check on the other side of the Hudson?). But for that moment, the dude stripped hockey of its dignity and brought it down to the level of ’84 WWF. I half expected the Iron Sheik or “Classy” Freddy Blassi to jump on the ice in support and hit Marty with a folding chair.http://fans.nhl.com/members/Kevin_Smith11/blogs/11197

I really don't see what most of you guys are talking about. No, I'm not wearing blinders.If Avery decides that it's more beneficial to the play to try to block the goaltender's view with his hands and stick then to try to go for a rebound, then he should be allowed to. He went out of his way to be sure that Brodeur can't focus on the play, and I think that should be in his right. I mean, he's clearly not going to do it again since they went out of their way to make a rule aimed specifically at him, which is hilarious. Saying it's bad for the game is silly, it's never happened before and now it will never happen again.
At any point in time, did you watch Avery doing that and think to yourself, wow, what a great player he is?
I agree with mr yorke , however I will go one step further...This is just the NHL's personal agenda against Sean Avery...Its almost like when Mafia guys get arrested for tax evasion...The feds cant catch them for murder and corruption so they have to find other ways to get them...If Colin Campbell had his way he would suspend Avery for life...I like someone to give me another example in sports history where LESS THAN 24 hours after an incident the rulebook is essentially changed. Just ridicolous...I will also reiterate that I dont think what Avery did was sportman like, but neither is ton of other stuff that happens on the ice..
Wrong. The NHL offices issue rules clarifications (which is what this was, NOT a rule change) ALL THE TIME. It's just usually not released to the media. The league constantly issues rules clarifications, usually at the request of a team that wants an interpretation of a rule. But with this incident, because of the barrage of media questions, they decided to issue it publicly....
Wrong. The NHL offices issue rules clarifications (which is what this was, NOT a rule change) ALL THE TIME. It's just usually not released to the media. The league constantly issues rules clarifications, usually at the request of a team that wants an interpretation of a rule. But with this incident, because of the barrage of media questions, they decided to issue it publicly....
I think the general consensus from what I have seen on TSN and HNIC is that Avery is a douchebag for his antics..However the leagues action in this instance is a little far fetched...FWIW Mr Buffoon Mike Milbury thought it was great , a great way to promote the game in the States as it got tons of coverage.The rule is a weak one and the interpretation is really funny as it describes word for word what Avery did..Its almost like they were going to put in the following" if a certain #16 from the Rangers waives his hand in front of goalie, it will be deemed to be unsportsmanlike and result in a 10 minute misconduct."
FWIW Mr Buffoon Mike Milbury thought it was great , a great way to promote the game in the States as it got tons of coverage.
Using Mike Milbury as evidence to support your point? Just end the thread now, it's over.
Using Mike Milbury as evidence to support your point? Just end the thread now, it's over.
If you read better, you would understand that I was making fun of Mike Milbury, hence the preface of BUFFOON...My stance is that I think what Avery did was moronic and unsportmanlike..However NOT ILLEGAL at the time. I just questioned the rule interpretation and the quick response by the NHL..i was mistaken that i originally quoted it as a rule change..Which the NHL just cant arbitrarily change in mid season..Since its an interpretation it doesnt require GM approval.
At any point in time, did you watch Avery doing that and think to yourself, wow, what a great player he is?
I already know he was a great player. I thought his play was hilarious. And when scored a few seconds later, the fact that he's a great player was only confirmed.
I already know he was a great player. I thought his play was hilarious. And when scored a few seconds later, the fact that he's a great player was only confirmed.
I'm certain that you're intentionally missing the point. Sure you thought he was great when he scored, but did you think he was great when he was acting like a fool in front of the net?
I'm certain that you're intentionally missing the point. Sure you thought he was great when he scored, but did you think he was great when he was acting like a fool in front of the net?
If you asking whether it made me think less of him as a player, then then answer is no, it did not. I actually thought it was somewhat clever and was surprised that no one had thought of it before. He's a player known for thinking outside the box and walking the line, and that's exactly what he was doing there.I wasn't embarrassed for him and I didn't fear for the future of hockey or whatever, if that's what you're getting at.
If you asking whether it made me think less of him as a player, then then answer is no, it did not. I actually thought it was somewhat clever and was surprised that no one had thought of it before. He's a player known for thinking outside the box and walking the line, and that's exactly what he was doing there.I wasn't embarrassed for him and I didn't fear for the future of hockey or whatever, if that's what you're getting at.
I'm sure the future of hockey was never threatened. Avery only wishes he had that much influence. I can't wait until he nears the end of his career and decides to put on 700 pounds so he can play goalie.
I'm sure the future of hockey was never threatened. Avery only wishes he had that much influence. I can't wait until he nears the end of his career and decides to put on 700 pounds so he can play goalie.
Seriously, though, it's a good idea. You'd win every game, no question. I'm not sure why a team hasn't done this. What could the rule be, "You can't play goalie if you're fat?" I'm really only half kidding.
Seriously, though, it's a good idea. You'd win every game, no question. I'm not sure why a team hasn't done this. What could the rule be, "You can't play goalie if you're fat?" I'm really only half kidding.
Because a 700 pound guy wouldn't cover the entire net, and with no mobility he'd get lit up worse than Kay Whitmore.
colin campbell would change the rule and put in a 700 lb clause

I am pretty sure I see players getting in the face of the goalie and trying to distract him in every single game. I think what Avery did this time was just make it too obvious. If he was just skating and ran the goalie nothing would have really came of it.

I am pretty sure I see players getting in the face of the goalie and trying to distract him in every single game. I think what Avery did this time was just make it too obvious. If he was just skating and ran the goalie nothing would have really came of it.
Really? You don't think New Jersey would be a little upset if Avery ran Brodeur? Or perhaps a penalty may have been called.Wanna buy some Pat Falloon rookie cards?

Okay, enough Avery talk, we have a game to win tonight!This is a huge game. If we lose, we let the Devils even it up and have given them a ton of hope. If we win, we're one away from putting them away and will really hurt their chances. From what I've seen throughout this series, we're the better team and should win this game. We really just need to not take penalties because it really disrupts our offense. So let's play a good, clean game and force them to win three in a row.

Because a 700 pound guy wouldn't cover the entire net, and with no mobility he'd get lit up worse than Kay Whitmore.
Plus max equipment / pad sizes. The dude would be in major pain on every shot.

I am bored and have 1 hour and 52 minutes till I leave work and get ready for Wings/Tigers. I am sure though someone will call me an idiot for my opinion on this matter but again, I am bored and wasting time and being the only one in my office makes me talk to the internet world. I guess I could call the wife but we already discussed this.I don't like Avery. Never did. I have had run ins with him numerous times when he was in Detroit and he was a complete douchebag and this was before he was anybody but a 4th line 4 min a game player.I don't have a big problem with what he did. I understand the leagues reaction but I don't necessarily agree with how it is being handled. I watched good ol' Gary Bettman last night talking about the "rule interpretation" aspect and to me it just seems silly. Reading the rule and his comments on how they are always looking at different interpretations makes me think that anyone on the league can find any action on the ice to be breaking some kind of rule. Now of course that is an exaggeration but I think it is a valid point. The league/Devils didn't like what they saw so they skimmed the rules hoping to find something they could then make it against the rules. He continually said it was ALWAYS against the rules, yet why was there no penalty called if it was ALWAYS against the rules? What, was the ref scared of making a tough call? Yet they call the blade of a stick being helf with one hand that touches the hop of an opposing player for half a second hooking with no worries, then how could this blatant violation of the NHL rules not be a tough call to make?I don't care if the rule is in place now, it's fine with me. I am not trying to defend mr. avery, just think it is being handled poorly.1 hr and 44 minutes to go.Edit: and regarding the goalies. I think they should be able to bring a couch in the net with them.

He continually said it was ALWAYS against the rules, yet why was there no penalty called if it was ALWAYS against the rules? What, was the ref scared of making a tough call?
No player has done that before -- so how on earth would the ref know how to make a judgment call in the heat of battle. In this case he decided to err one the side of caution.
No player has done that before -- so how on earth would the ref know how to make a judgment call in the heat of battle. In this case he decided to err one the side of caution.
The ref should know because it is a violation of the stated rules, according to Gary.