Agnostic Vs. Atheiest Vs. Christian Vs. Jewish Vs. Other Religions

So over the past 15 years of my life I have piddled i around with different thoughts with religion and the surrounding theology and mythology. I have come to the determination that if I were to put a moniker on my beliefs it would be to slightly to the Christian side of being agnostic.I do not want to get to specific on my thought processes but basically, I am unsure of suprmeme power and if there is I cannot believe that it is exactly the way it is depecited in the bible (*I have only read excerpts from the bible and studied some in college, never read it from front to back). I think there are some human changes that have been made for the better of the person doing the translation. E.G. King James removing any reference of Lilith from the bible. I pretty much believe all religions are B.S. and have never been to a church wether it be Catholic, Non Denominational Christian, Baptist, Lutheran, Episcopal, Presbyterian etc. do not have their hands out or money and seeing pastors or whatever thay call the head religion guy driving BMW's and and wearing expensive watches etc. If there Jesus is who much of the world believes him to be, then I agree with him that church is where ever you want it to be, under a rock or tree. We do not need multi million dollar mosoleums to worship, that have turned into sunday fashion shows more than what they were started for. Also with that same thought process, I cannot believe God or Jesus would want people worshiping him in the manner they do today.So I bascially wish that I believed one way or the other, it would make my life so much simpler. Wether it be athiest or specific religion, at least I would not be mired in this cloud of doubt.So I guess my reason for starting this thread is to ask other agnostics or people that have similar feelings on religion as whole how they deal with the pull of freinds, family, society, pop culture one way or the other. If I do not think about it, it obv does not bother me, but if I try and wrap my head around all of this it gives me a headache like you wouldn't believe.

Having grown up in a basically non-denominational Christian backround, currently my "beliefs" are probably about where you describe yours are. I used to be a Christian, but as time has gone on I've had more and more problems with the basic beliefs behind the faith (particularly the concept of whether the Christian God is actually just). I do not have any issue with people that do or do not believe in Christianity, I've just simply stopped believing and I finally got tired of playing the "have faith" card about a year ago as the problems I've run in to with the faith became deeper and deeper. Currently I would probably say I'm a mild agnostic, but frankly I don't really care about labels.On a related note, I'm graduating this coming spring with a degree in Philosophy, and am planning to continue on with my Master's and hopefully my doctorate later on in the same field.I cannot really give an answer to your last paragraph, but I can say that I experience similar "issues." My main area of interest in Philosophy is in ethics in particular, and because I see a very strong connection to belief in God (and the characteristics of that God) and one's opinions about ethics, it certainly is somewhat annoying to be agnostic at times. I try very hard not to write people off and to give everyone's opinion real thought so that I don't strawman any of their arguments, and because of that I often get pretty frustrated. I constantly question why people have certain beliefs and often take into consideration their background to see how that may have influenced that person's beliefs. By the way, I was originally going to school for a psychology degree before I changed my major.Anyway, I spend a lot of time trying to figure stuff out in my head, and it is definitely damn annoying. In general when it comes to the "pull of freinds, family, society, pop culture one way or the other", I don't really absorb anything from them, but I try and keep an open mind because even though it gives me a headache, I get a real kick out of intellectual conversation and in general attempting to seek objective truth (I'm pretty arrogant, but I'm not quite bad enough to think I personally have all the answers). Pop culture might be the exception, as I frankly hate how the media influences us in nearly every way, particularly the entire "must look a certain way to be cool, it's not enough if you are happy and healthy" mentality, but that's another story.Frankly I have no idea if any of this helps you at all, but I typed it all out so fuck it, I'm pressing send.

I appreciate it, it was a good response and I am not one for labels eithers, in fact I did not even really know what an agnostc was until I read a couple chapters of Case for Faith, then I realized that I fell into that genreal category. I had almways gotten upset when people tried to tell me I was an athiest, becuase I do not think I am. All I know is that I don't know what I know, which is damn confusing.

So over the past 15 years of my life I have piddled i around with different thoughts with religion and the surrounding theology and mythology. I have come to the determination that if I were to put a moniker on my beliefs it would be to slightly to the Christian side of being agnostic.I do not want to get to specific on my thought processes but basically, I am unsure of suprmeme power and if there is I cannot believe that it is exactly the way it is depecited in the bible (*I have only read excerpts from the bible and studied some in college, never read it from front to back). I think there are some human changes that have been made for the better of the person doing the translation. E.G. King James removing any reference of Lilith from the bible. I pretty much believe all religions are B.S. and have never been to a church wether it be Catholic, Non Denominational Christian, Baptist, Lutheran, Episcopal, Presbyterian etc. do not have their hands out or money and seeing pastors or whatever thay call the head religion guy driving BMW's and and wearing expensive watches etc. If there Jesus is who much of the world believes him to be, then I agree with him that church is where ever you want it to be, under a rock or tree. We do not need multi million dollar mosoleums to worship, that have turned into sunday fashion shows more than what they were started for. Also with that same thought process, I cannot believe God or Jesus would want people worshiping him in the manner they do today.So I bascially wish that I believed one way or the other, it would make my life so much simpler. Wether it be athiest or specific religion, at least I would not be mired in this cloud of doubt.So I guess my reason for starting this thread is to ask other agnostics or people that have similar feelings on religion as whole how they deal with the pull of freinds, family, society, pop culture one way or the other. If I do not think about it, it obv does not bother me, but if I try and wrap my head around all of this it gives me a headache like you wouldn't believe.
you're not really leaning towards christianity, just towards generic theism. nothing wrong with living your life contentedly like that. many people reject fundamentalist religions for various reasons but still believe there might be a god. it's certainly possible to live a normal happy life without having to take an extreme position on god.
you're not really leaning towards christianity, just towards generic theism. nothing wrong with living your life contentedly like that. many people reject fundamentalist religions for various reasons but still believe there might be a god. it's certainly possible to live a normal happy life without having to take an extreme position on god.
True, but it does not make it easier when you are raising a child and don't know what you are going to tell, especially when my mother in law is very very christian. I should have put that in the OP, but as this subject is muddled in my mind I forgot where I was going with my whole post.
True, but it does not make it easier when you are raising a child and don't know what you are going to tell, especially when my mother in law is very very christian. I should have put that in the OP, but as this subject is muddled in my mind I forgot where I was going with my whole post.
It's ok to tell your child that you believe in God but don't really know. I was raised religous and truth is many of the things that I grew up with was wrong, not intentionally, without malice, but it was wrong. As a parent it's ok to just say I don't know, and really it's an opportunity to learn together. As far as your mother in law being christian, if she is any good at it she wont shove it down your throat. If she does, that's sad. To many are turned off by an over aggressive approach by hyper believers.
It's ok to tell your child that you believe in God but don't really know. I was raised religous and truth is many of the things that I grew up with was wrong, not intentionally, without malice, but it was wrong. As a parent it's ok to just say I don't know, and really it's an opportunity to learn together. As far as your mother in law being christian, if she is any good at it she wont shove it down your throat. If she does, that's sad. To many are turned off by an over aggressive approach by hyper believers.
She goes through phaese and it usually is directly related to how her life is going, if its going bad she starts going to church more and buying everyone religious books and such, and she sings my son religious songs and its not bad yet, but he is only two. I am afraid of him being confused and wanting to please grandma when he is older.
She goes through phaese and it usually is directly related to how her life is going, if its going bad she starts going to church more and buying everyone religious books and such, and she sings my son religious songs and its not bad yet, but he is only two. I am afraid of him being confused and wanting to please grandma when he is older.
Doesn't work like that, kids can smell bullshit, so what will happen is as she waxes and wanes and goes back and forth between hyper vigilant and lukewarm, he will pick up on that, and it will actually turn him off to God over time. Her example could very well be why he grows up to hate religion in the end. A large portion of atheists were raised religous, and saw the bullshit, the hypocrisy that exists, not necessarily within the doctrine but within the people "living" the doctrine.
Doesn't work like that, kids can smell bullshit, so what will happen is as she waxes and wanes and goes back and forth between hyper vigilant and lukewarm, he will pick up on that, and it will actually turn him off to God over time. Her example could very well be why he grows up to hate religion in the end. A large portion of atheists were raised religous, and saw the bullshit, the hypocrisy that exists, not necessarily within the doctrine but within the people "living" the doctrine.
This is so one of my biggest pet peeves!! You and I are in the same line of work and even though I am not religious I still respect the sanctity of what religion and church are supposed to be. I have had too many christians to count on my fingers suggest I go to church for networking! If you look at the percentage rise in attendaence of church compared to rise in realtors or mortgage brokers I would be they coincide to a certain degree as many of those low life have been going to church like it is a fricking leads group.
can't comment on your mother in law, but what to tell children is as easy as it gets - that they should think and decide for themselves.
can't comment on your mother in law, but what to tell children is as easy as it gets - that they should think and decide for themselves.
"mommy, so im going to die one day?""yes son.""mommy, whats going to happen to me after i die?""i don't really know. lots of people think lots of different things. you should learn about them all and make up your mind for yourself"it sounds nice on paper, but thats some heavy shit to lay on a little kid.
"mommy, so im going to die one day?""yes son.""mommy, whats going to happen to me after i die?""i don't really know. lots of people think lots of different things. you should learn about them all and make up your mind for yourself"it sounds nice on paper, but thats some heavy shit to lay on a little kid.
no heavier than that you're going to hell if you don't accept jesus, or believe in the koran etc.brainwashing a child into believing fundamentalist dogma does not lessen the load, it makes it worse. i can speak from experience on that one.
Kids are a lot smarter than you think. The bolded line is obviously asking too much, but change that to something along the lines of "Some people believe that when you die you go to heaven, some people believe you're born again...maybe you could come back as a [insert kid's favorite animal here], and some people believe that it's impossible to say for sure. Some day you can make up your mind for yourself, but for now let's keep working on that knuckleball that will make you and daddy rich some day."
Kids are a lot smarter than you think. The bolded line is obviously asking too much, but change that to something along the lines of "Some people believe that when you die you go to heaven, some people believe you're born again...maybe you could come back as a [insert kid's favorite animal here], and some people believe that it's impossible to say for sure. Some day you can make up your mind for yourself, but for now let's keep working on that knuckleball that will make you and daddy rich some day."
The money in the power game, just so you know. Also, don't have him throwing curves until he's in junior, senior year, even later. That will destroy a kids arm for sure.
The money in the power game, just so you know. Also, don't have him throwing curves until he's in junior, senior year, even later. That will destroy a kids arm for sure.
Yeah, but there's too much that can go wrong there. Not everyone can be a power pitcher at the pro level. Teach your kid to throw a lefty knuckler from a young age and it's a guaranteed 20 year career. Tim Wakefield may not make $20M/year, but he's made more than enough money to last five lifetimes.
Yeah, but there's too much that can go wrong there. Not everyone can be a power pitcher at the pro level. Teach your kid to throw a lefty knuckler from a young age and it's a guaranteed 20 year career. Tim Wakefield may not make $20M/year, but he's made more than enough money to last five lifetimes.
When he is 3 I am going to start tying his right arm behind his back.