Link Between Intelligence And Atheism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligenceThe evidence is pretty conclusive, and it's extremely notable amongst scientists.Just wondering what thoughts people had on this issue?Why would God (if you believe in Him) make it so that theoretically those who are more likely to do great things in this world are more likely to go to Hell? Did He intend this?Why do the intelligencia tend towards non-theism?I'm not trying to be inflammatory here, I'm genuinely interested in thoughts on both sides of this.
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligenceThe evidence is pretty conclusive, and it's extremely notable amongst scientists.Just wondering what thoughts people had on this issue?Why would God (if you believe in Him) make it so that theoretically those who are more likely to do great things in this world are more likely to go to Hell? Did He intend this?Why do the intelligencia tend towards non-theism?I'm not trying to be inflammatory here, I'm genuinely interested in thoughts on both sides of this.
It's actually a worthless stat. Many are called but few are chosen. Rich, poor, intelligent, of little intelligence, that applies to all. Not to mention, how intelligent will one feel when the heat starts to tickle ones toes? And, your answer is really this: because you feel you know better than God. In your mind, because of your "intelligence" God is flawed. How could one worship one who is so obviously not as good as I? And, think about this- by this human flesh standards you could be as smart as can be, in the afterlife, you just may be dumb as a box of rocks.
It's actually a worthless stat. Many are called but few are chosen. Rich, poor, intelligent, of little intelligence, that applies to all. Not to mention, how intelligent will one feel when the heat starts to tickle ones toes? And, your answer is really this: because you fell you know better than God. In your mind, because of your "intelligence" God is flawed. How could one worship one who is so obviously not as good as I? And, think about this- by this human flesh standards you could be as smart as can be, in the afterlife, you just may be dumb as a box of rocks.
Can you tone down the sarcasm please? This isn't me saying "you're dumb if you believe in God", because I know PLENTY of dumb atheists, and a lot of the people I know are both smarter than me and believe in God. I'm just interested in the overall theory behind it.Evidently, intelligent people generally find it more difficult to believe in a personal God. Why would God create us so that (generally) the dumber you are, the easier you'll find it to believe and therefore get to heaven? Why does God test the intelligent more than the unintelligent?
I'm trying to look at this from a religious perspective. If God is our creator, what is the reason for this?
Knowledge is the forbiden fruit, ever since the garden of eden it's been that way.
Can you tone down the sarcasm please? This isn't me saying "you're dumb if you believe in God", because I know PLENTY of dumb atheists, and a lot of the people I know are both smarter than me and believe in God. I'm just interested in the overall theory behind it.Evidently, intelligent people generally find it more difficult to believe in a personal God. Why would God create us so that (generally) the dumber you are, the easier you'll find it to believe and therefore get to heaven? Why does God test the intelligent more than the unintelligent?
First off, I wasn't being sarcastic. That was about as honest an answer I can give you. As far as testing the "intelligent" more, please. What's a test? Here is one- you must have faith without any real tangible evidence in the here and now. Atheists can't do that, and it's the most basic test, it's the first one, without getting past that one, game over. So, once you fail that one- no more tests for you. Once I PASS that one there are thousands of tests that you will never even have to take. You don't even know 1% of the tests that are thrown at someone God deems as his child. You haven't even scratched the surface. My point was, and still is, don't kid yourself. You're not special. There are way, way less intelligent people than not so intelligent and the not so intelligent by sheer numbers win as far as not being able to follow God. Sin is universal.
First off, I wasn't being sarcastic. That was about as honest an answer I can give you. As far as testing the "intelligent" more, please. What's a test? Here is one- you must have faith without any real tangible evidence in the here and now. Atheists can't do that, and it's the most basic test, it's the first one, without getting past that one, game over. So, once you fail that one- no more tests for you. Once I PASS that one there are thousands of tests that you will never even have to take. You don't even know 1% of the tests that are thrown at someone God deems as his child. You haven't even scratched the surface. My point was, and still is, don't kid yourself. You're not special. There are way, way less intelligent people than not so intelligent and the not so intelligent by sheer numbers win as far as not being able to follow God. Sin is universal.
You are claiming that it's impossible to measure intelligence.This might seem totally daft, but according to you there is no way to tell which of these two people is the more intelligent:HICK6191.jpg"GAWD IS THUH AWLMAHTEE, AN' HE LOVES ME ONE HUNNERD PURCENT"nerd-31913.jpg"My favourite theoretical particle is the graviton. The idea of a creator God is rather illogical."

You are claiming that it's impossible to measure intelligence.This might seem totally daft, but according to you there is no way to tell which of these two people is the more intelligent:HICK6191.jpg"GAWD'S A DUMB IDEEUH CUZ AH HAS NEVER SEEN HIM NOR HURD FROM IM"nerd-31913.jpg"My favourite theoretical particle is the graviton. The idea of a creator God makes a lot of sense to me."

My point was, and still is, don't kid yourself. You're not special. There are way, way less intelligent people than not so intelligent and the not so intelligent by sheer numbers win as far as not being able to follow God.
I'm not sure I'm understanding you here. You're trying to draw conclusions from saying that there are more dumb atheists than smart ones?
It's actually a worthless stat. Many are called but few are chosen. Rich, poor, intelligent, of little intelligence, that applies to all. Not to mention, how intelligent will one feel when the heat starts to tickle ones toes? And, your answer is really this: because you feel you know better than God. In your mind, because of your "intelligence" God is flawed. How could one worship one who is so obviously not as good as I? And, think about this- by this human flesh standards you could be as smart as can be, in the afterlife, you just may be dumb as a box of rocks.
ughh you didnt even address his question at all. you just wrote a bunch of sentences based on your religious beliefs. how does that answer the question? now, dont bother responding to this post. i know youre just going to do the same thing a write a bunch of unrelated thoughts and convince yourself that you are making sense.
Close. Knowledge of good and evil. Evil usually wins.
Unless knowledge of evil is equated with science that inevitably questions the creator as it does everything else.
You are claiming that it's impossible to measure intelligence.This might seem totally daft, but according to you there is no way to tell which of these two people is the more intelligent:HICK6191.jpg"GAWD'S A DUMB IDEEUH CUZ AH HAS NEVER SEEN HIM NOR HURD FROM IM"nerd-31913.jpg"My favourite theoretical particle is the graviton. The idea of a creator God makes a lot of sense to me."
That kid could be writing a church news letter for all we know

BTW, before this gets into a real slanging match, I want to clarify what I said to start with:I'm not trying to be inflammatory here, I'm genuinely interested in thoughts on both sides of this.I just think it's strange from a Religious perspective. Why would this be the case? Why would God create us to be more skeptical the higher our IQ? Or did He not intend for this?

What's a test? Here is one- you must have faith without any real tangible evidence in the here and now. Atheists can't do that
Thread over. Once you've all but admitted that you must be stupid and illogical to believe in God, why even bother continuing the discussion?As for the original post, isnt it a little suspicious that intelligence is generally considered a good thing in every area but religion?
Thread over. Once you've all but admitted that you must be stupid and illogical to believe in God, why even bother continuing the discussion?As for the original post, isnt it a little suspicious that intelligence is generally considered a good thing in every area but religion?
Keep your "intelligence". I will keep my hope of heaven anyday.
I would beg to differ. Look at the past of those two. My guess is the one on top didn't have as good of an upbringing, education, or the kind of environment of friends and culture that would push him to succeed academically. The one on the bottom had a great education and environment that stressed success in school, so he pushed himself academically. The outcome was not inevitable, but the circumstances made them who they are. Sure the one on top didn't have to wind up the way he did, but who knows what would have happened if their situations were reversed. Intelligence is hard to measure, and you cannot measure someone's by how successful they are, because there are far too many factors that determine one's success.

The majority of higher learning schools are secular. Therfore it follows that the majority of people attending these would also be secular. Just as people that attend Rush Limbaugh's advanced course on conservative studies will more likely be conservative.From God's perspective, His knowledge is like a 1,000 and the best and brightest on our planet are a 3, so when He sees a 3 telling a 2 or a 1 that they are dumb, He is not as impresed as you may think He is.But the Bible also clearly says that the beautiful people were invited to the feast, but they gave a bunch of excuses for why they couldn't be bothered, so the King invited the downtrodden and life's losers to the feast. I think He does this to let us know that our levels of judging intelligence, importance and fame are not His.It also says He will use the foolish things to confound the wise. Ever see a really smart guy try to pick up a chick...case in point.

The majority of higher learning schools are secular. Therfore it follows that the majority of people attending these would also be secular. Just as people that attend Rush Limbaugh's advanced course on conservative studies will more likely be conservative.From God's perspective, His knowledge is like a 1,000 and the best and brightest on our planet are a 3, so when He sees a 3 telling a 2 or a 1 that they are dumb, He is not as impresed as you may think He is.But the Bible also clearly says that the beautiful people were invited to the feast, but they gave a bunch of excuses for why they couldn't be bothered, so the King invited the downtrodden and life's losers to the feast. I think He does this to let us know that our levels of judging intelligence, importance and fame are not His.It also says He will use the foolish things to confound the wise. Ever see a really smart guy try to pick up a chick...case in point.
Yes, but BG don't you see that it's Gods fault? I don't even believe in God but if I did then he made me intelligent so it's his fault that I wont, nay, can't believe. This line of reasoning fails from this point of view- you don't believe in God, so how can you blame him for making you intelligent? If you believed... well, we wouldn't be having this conversation. And, Simo, I respect what you were trying to do here, but see how quickly it turned into a "How stupid are you for having faith" bashing party? There is no answer I can give you that would satisfy you, because you lack the faith to give credit where credit is due. Lacking faith, you will place blame, of course it's misguided- if you went into court and tried to argue that Brad Pitt stole your wife but it was revealed that you believed that Brad Pitt was a work of fiction your case would have no merit. You don't even believe Brad exists, how can he be at fault for anything?