Eidetic Memory

Does anyone know anything about this?I want to find out if my son has something like this, the things he can recall are unbelievable for a 2 year old.I have taken him to a persons house once when he was under one year old and took him back a month ago or so and he remebered it was the house with the 2 dogs. His ability to put puzzles together after seeing how they are done once are amazing.I know a lot of you will think I am being a bragging father, which I probably am, but at the same time I would like to be able to challenge him further with his learning and if he has something like this understand it better.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a photographic memory. Your son most likely does not.-scram
I don't, but I've known one single person who actually did. We were driving home and I decided to test him- While diving behind a red Toyota during a totally random portion of the trip, I wrote down the license plate number without mentioning what I was doing, or without him noticing anything. A minute or two later, the Toyota was gone. When we arrived home an hour later, I asked him "Say, when we were driving home, we were behind this red Toyota for about a minute- near the offramp to (town). What was the tag number?"He answered correctly.I don't think people understand how truly freakish and rare 'photographic memory' really is. *edit- clarity error

The Wiki article on the subject is fairly interesting. There seems to be controversy that such a thing even exists; instead there are just some very specific types of narrow memory feats that people can do. Is that the same thing? I'd hate to think it's just a semantic argument.Doesn't Cobalt have some exotic memory capabilities, or am I thinking of someone else?

Well I am not saying for sure he has it or anything like that, I just know there has been some debate as hblask said on whether or not it existed or if some people have a higher IQ, or just have a better memory and it has nothing to do with IQ.Just wanted to know if anyone else had any knowledge on it.I guess in the same category is there a way to calulate a childs intelligence?I know most balance out at some point, but my son has done a lot of things much younger than most children his age that we have been exposed to. But it could just be that he is ahead of schedule and not necissarily smarter.

I don't, but I've known one single person who actually did. We were driving home and I decided to test him- While diving behind a red Toyota during a totally random portion of the trip, I wrote down the license plate number without mentioning what I was doing, or without him noticing anything. A minute or two later, the Toyota was gone. When we arrived home an hour later, I asked him "Say, when we were driving home, we were behind this red Toyota for about a minute- near the offramp to (town). What was the tag number?"He answered correctly.I don't think people understand how truly freakish and rare 'photographic memory' really is. *edit- clarity error
I can do that. lol. It's really not that hard (for me)
The Wiki article on the subject is fairly interesting. There seems to be controversy that such a thing even exists; instead there are just some very specific types of narrow memory feats that people can do. Is that the same thing? I'd hate to think it's just a semantic argument.Doesn't Cobalt have some exotic memory capabilities, or am I thinking of someone else?
What kind of "narrow memory feats"?

It's amazing what kids can remember sometimes.My seven year old will talk about something from three years ago with perfect clarity.."Remember when we did this? We went here and there and you said this and then that happened."I barely remember it, but once he jogs my memory, it's spot on.By no means is he photographic or anything, but it freaks me out sometimes.

why do i know so much about your personal life/family?
If you are talking about me, its because I have been going through some real shit lately and it is therapeutic to talk about here. Better than having to sit on the phone having the same damn conversation 50 times with family memebers that I see twice a year. This topic, I was just curious about.
I can do that. lol. It's really not that hard (for me)What kind of "narrow memory feats"?
I think the remembering the license plate would be an example. I think the argument is that people can have amazing memories for one or two types of things, but it's not clear that anyone has that kind of memory across a broad spectrum of subjects/concepts.
Well I am not saying for sure he has it or anything like that, I just know there has been some debate as hblask said on whether or not it existed or if some people have a higher IQ, or just have a better memory and it has nothing to do with IQ.Just wanted to know if anyone else had any knowledge on it.I guess in the same category is there a way to calulate a childs intelligence?I know most balance out at some point, but my son has done a lot of things much younger than most children his age that we have been exposed to. But it could just be that he is ahead of schedule and not necissarily smarter.
I think they don't really evaluate intelligence until 3rd grade or so. Up until then all they have is milestones to be reached by a certain age. I'm not sure how "got 100% of the milestones 12 or more months ahead" is different than "kid is really intelligent". Maybe it's because before 3rd grade, kids can make up a lot of ground or lose ground, and there's no point in putting them in their socially-dictated pigeonholes earlier than necessary.

I know you want to give your kid 'every oppurtunity' in life, but personally, I think it's better if he just has a normal upbringing. If he's super smart, that's great. Later in life, if he can get straight As in school without doing much work I'd tell him to take up extra curricular activites like chess, I wouldn't put him in special classes for extra intelligent children. Just my opinion

I think they don't really evaluate intelligence until 3rd grade or so. Up until then all they have is milestones to be reached by a certain age. I'm not sure how "got 100% of the milestones 12 or more months ahead" is different than "kid is really intelligent". Maybe it's because before 3rd grade, kids can make up a lot of ground or lose ground, and there's no point in putting them in their socially-dictated pigeonholes earlier than necessary.
I know you want to give your kid 'every oppurtunity' in life, but personally, I think it's better if he just has a normal upbringing. If he's super smart, that's great. Later in life, if he can get straight As in school without doing much work I'd tell him to take up extra curricular activites like chess, I wouldn't put him in special classes for extra intelligent children. Just my opinion
I agree with both of you here, when I was a kid maybe 2nd or 3rd grade they put me in GATE, which if I remember correctly stood for Gifted and Talented Education. I stopped after a few months because I was playing too many sports and it was pretty crappy doing extra home work and projects, that counted for nothing.I just want to make sure he is being challenged, I was bored in school until I got to about the 7th or 8th grade because everything was too easy for me, but then I leveled out and some math gave me problems. I don't really know if I would do anything different even if we did find out he was smarter than the average child.

There's a good book written by Alexander Luria about a guy with an incredible memory. Luria was a Russian scientist who studied brain injuries during WWII -- kind of the father of neuropsychology. He was a great observer of human behavior. The Mind of A MnemonistThe guy he describes was basically unable to forget anything. Luria would write a grid of numbers on a chalkboard and the guy would remember then 20 years later. Was actually a near-debilitating condition for him as he was inundated by information that he could not forget. More modern research in cognitive psychology has shown that we do indeed have an active forgetting mechanism that is quite important for us (you want to know where you parked your car today, not yesterday). The physiology of this system is starting to be understood, and interestingly it seems to involve endogenous cannibinoids (marijuana-like compounds). The guy Luria described was probably missing this mechanism.

I agree with both of you here, when I was a kid maybe 2nd or 3rd grade they put me in GATE, which if I remember correctly stood for Gifted and Talented Education. I stopped after a few months because I was playing too many sports and it was pretty crappy doing extra home work and projects, that counted for nothing.I just want to make sure he is being challenged, I was bored in school until I got to about the 7th or 8th grade because everything was too easy for me, but then I leveled out and some math gave me problems. I don't really know if I would do anything different even if we did find out he was smarter than the average child.
yeah, I'm in a similar boat to you. I was part of the National Irish Association for Talented Youths (or something along those lines), but I decided to stop taking part in the extra courses and stuff they offered and just live a normal life like other kids my age. Because I was smarter than average, it gave me the chance to focus my time on extra stuff outside school which def helped imo. I'm friends with a guy who was also very intelligent as a child and he went down a different route of trying to 'maximise his gift' if you will. He's doing pretty well right now and seems pretty well balanced (the main reason I'm not so sure about putting kids into 'genius groups' is coz I think they'll end up a little weird). So who knows, not sure which is the best way to go.
Does anyone know anything about this?I want to find out if my son has something like this, the things he can recall are unbelievable for a 2 year old.I have taken him to a persons house once when he was under one year old and took him back a month ago or so and he remebered it was the house with the 2 dogs. His ability to put puzzles together after seeing how they are done once are amazing.I know a lot of you will think I am being a bragging father, which I probably am, but at the same time I would like to be able to challenge him further with his learning and if he has something like this understand it better.
it sounds like your son is blessed with what is called " The chrozzo Fever."dont e alarmed..its a good thingfeed him imported beer to bring his abilities to thir peak
I was in GATE in Cali. from 4-6 grade and it was really a bunch of crap. You pretty much did the same stuff as everyone else, just more of it. I did skip a grade in sciences (chemistry instead of biology) and 2 grades in math (trig/algebra 2 instead of algebra) going into high school but in the end I just had a higher IQ (140-150) on official tests. Not trying to burst your bubble but I seriously doubt he has photographic memory, But I would probably say that he is brighter then most. In a few years you will know. If you feel that you need to make sure that he is always challenged, then just challenge him yourself. There are plenty of materials out there in order to teach him yourself.

Haha, I forgot all about GATE. I was in that fucking bullshit for like a year when I lived in California. Just keep an eye on the memory stuff, and remember that your kid is probably not really special. My parents thought I was some kind of turbo genius, but it just turned out kids are generally way smarter and more intuitive than most people expect them to be. My parents realized this when I turned 12, and could still not tell time on an analog clock.Analog clocks are faggots.

Haha, I forgot all about GATE. I was in that fucking bullshit for like a year when I lived in California. Just keep an eye on the memory stuff, and remember that your kid is probably not really special. My parents thought I was some kind of turbo genius, but it just turned out kids are generally way smarter and more intuitive than most people expect them to be. My parents realized this when I turned 12, and could still not tell time on an analog clock.Analog clocks are faggots.
Your not going to like me for this, but....master:LCT018.jpg
Your not going to like me for this, but....
I don't hate them; I just don't understand them. Wait a second... I don't understand them, SO I fucking hate them. I knew there was something wrong, there. Fucking clocks, with your "half-past" and "quarter-to" vagueness. Why don't you just TELL ME what time it is?
I don't hate them; I just don't understand them. Wait a second... I don't understand them, SO I fucking hate them. I knew there was something wrong, there. Fucking clocks, with your "half-past" and "quarter-to" vagueness. Why don't you just TELL ME what time it is?
right now it's 7 minus 12Or I guess for you 10 minus 12please go outsad shake and I in the posting pictures of hot chicks thread which surprising is still around probably due to all the hijacks which last about a page until people commence with more hot chick/tranny pictures.