Official Buffalo Sabres Thread

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't know why giving someone the benefit of the doubt would be so hard.   Like, at any point in life. Maybe I'm a push over, but I'm more than happy to give most people the benefit of the doubt in

Ted Nolan's dream job? Coaching the Sabres without a GM.

Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres 1m Mikhail Grigorenko has informed the #Sabres that he will be reporting to the Quebec Remparts.

Except Radulov did something in the NHL.

The Sabres have ****ed this kid up. Trade him and move on.

Junior has nothing for him. He needs to be in the AHL, but the NHL-CHL agreement prevents that.

Except Radulov did something in the NHL.

The Sabres have ****ed this kid up. Trade him and move on.

Junior has nothing for him. He needs to be in the AHL, but the NHL-CHL agreement prevents that.

How do you trade an asset when it's at a low

Good question. They shouldn't have screwed it up in the first place. They may want to just bite the bullet on this one. But really, I don't know if going to another organization will even help Grigorenko. He certainly can't be more effective at the NHL level for another team, can he? If he can't make the Sabres, where can he make it? He simply cannot play in the AHL because of the CHL agreement, so he's basically screwed. He needs to play out this season somewhere then come back next season with another chance to make an NHL team, but more likely spend a season in the AHL with some spot call ups if necessary.

Trading him does nothing for anybody. If Buffalo isn't going to play him, then really not many other teams will either. Trade is useless for all.

I loved his facebook post, I'd love to believe it came directly from him and wasn't coached.

Why does the NHL allow the CHL to dictate such terms? I get its part of an overall agreement, but they need to see the big picture.

Well, it affects only a handful of guys, right? Like Grigo is an exception in that he's stuck kind of in between. Seems like it probably wouldn't be an issue if they just sent him there at the start of the season, but apparently Regier "guaranteed [him] an NHL roster spot during the summer" (http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/prospect-mikhail-grigorenko-wont-report-to-junior-future-with-sabres-unclear/). That shit helps nobody.

Back to the CHL though, someone once proposed that each team be allowed an exception, but all that does is result in the top 30 players in the CHL being out of the league, which is obviously contrary to the CHL's wishes.

The set up isn't ideal, but I've yet to read about an alternative set up that wouldn't be completely objectionable to at least one party. The real lesson is that this system has been in place since well before Grigorenko was drafted. The Sabres should have known that something like this was a possibility.

It would have been a lot better to just give him a full year of junior than to dick around with him, barely playing, no minutes, healthy scratches, etc, toying with his psyche, and hurting his development. Maybe he's too good for the QMJHL, but playing hockey is better than not playing hockey, and the AHL was not an option.

The Sabres might of messed up , but a 19 year old making all that money shouldn't have a say in the matter. You go where they tell you.

The Sabres might of messed up , but a 19 year old making all that money shouldn't have a say in the matter. You go where they tell you.

He doesn't make any of that money playing in junior, I dont believe.

If he has a family that could really use the money back home, maybe he has to think about whats best for them. Maybe best for them is him making the money now, in the KHL, even if his dream is the NHL.

What if they send him to junior this year.....and then the AHL next year. AHL $100,000 a year. He tears an ACL next year, and after that he doesnt make it past the AHL, so he never sees Zach's $2700/day.

On the other hand, if he goes to KHL today, maybe he gest $2mil a year now. Enough for his whole family to live a comfortable life for years.

Thats a lot of pressure on a 19yr old, and him asking for time isn't crazy to me.

Thats my ideal way of looking at it. Someone with more pessimism would say he cant stand riding on buses in Quebec, he needs money for hookers+blow, and Russians are all like this.

Just like college football/basketball players, these guys drafted into the NHL and forced to play junior is bullsh*t. You want him to develop in juniors? OK, pay him! It doesnt have to be his full NHL entry deal, but it should be better than it is.

He doesn't make any of that money playing in junior, I dont believe.

If he has a family that could really use the money back home, maybe he has to think about whats best for them. Maybe best for them is him making the money now, in the KHL, even if his dream is the NHL.

What if they send him to junior this year.....and then the AHL next year. AHL $100,000 a year. He tears an ACL next year, and after that he doesnt make it past the AHL, so he never sees Zach's $2700/day.

On the other hand, if he goes to KHL today, maybe he gest $2mil a year now. Enough for his whole family to live a comfortable life for years.

Thats a lot of pressure on a 19yr old, and him asking for time isn't crazy to me.

Thats my ideal way of looking at it. Someone with more pessimism would say he cant stand riding on buses in Quebec, he needs money for hookers+blow, and Russians are all like this.

Just like college football/basketball players, these guys drafted into the NHL and forced to play junior is bullsh*t. You want him to develop in juniors? OK, pay him! It doesnt have to be his full NHL entry deal, but it should be better than it is.

cmon man...

Last year his salary was $925000...Assuming he got roughly half of that with the lockout plus signing bonus annually of $92500

So with his half salary this year so far he has made over a $million from the Sabres already..

You are 19..Made more than most Russians see in 5 lifetimes..Suck it up...Listen to what your EMPLOYER is telling you..

I dont blame the kid, i blame the agent, the lawyers, the hangers on...

*edit..Numbers might be a little high, based on time spent on the roster..But he has still made much more money than most people see in their lifetime in Russia

Don't know why giving someone the benefit of the doubt would be so hard.

Like, at any point in life. Maybe I'm a push over, but I'm more than happy to give most people the benefit of the doubt in most things. Has literally zero negative affect on me, in fact, it may even be a net positive, as the lack of negativity is uplifting and energizing.

• Like 2

Don't know why giving someone the benefit of the doubt would be so hard.

Like, at any point in life. Maybe I'm a push over, but I'm more than happy to give most people the benefit of the doubt in most things. Has literally zero negative affect on me, in fact, it may even be a net positive, as the lack of negativity is uplifting and energizing.

Were violins playing while you wrote that?

:)

I get your point though

I just have a problem feeling sorry for a guy who has maid half a million already. I'm sure lot of owners in nhl don't look at him positively either. But good luck to him

Look at that, give a kid a little time to think about things, and he makes a wise decision. Good thing we didn't all jump all over him without the whole story yesterday. =/

Good to see he made the right decision.

Kudos

I didn't care what decision he made. I assumed he'd make the best one for him.

I didn't care what decision he made. I hoped he would make the best one for him, not that I would know which one that is.

For his sake, I hope this is it, and things turn out well.

As far as what I was hoping would happen.....I was hoping he would bolt to the KHL, because I don't have him in any of my pools. :)

Yeah, pretty sure they've burned two years of his ELC now.

Not sure how his FA years get affected though, usually it's 40 GP. This year, it wouldn't count, but he played 25 (pro-rated 42) games last year, and don't know if one year starts the clock, or if that year even counts.