Floating Profit In Rr Pots

When stacks are 100 bbs deep is it profitable to float? lets assume the action pre flop is hero pots then bb or small blind repots. Hero calls, villian c-bets close to pot. plug in whatever variables you would like to talk about

When stacks are 100 bbs deep is it profitable to float? lets assume the action pre flop is hero pots then bb or small blind repots. Hero calls, villian c-bets close to pot. plug in whatever variables you would like to talk about
You're from boulder too eh? CU student? You play at any games around here?

In general, unless you have a good read or history, you shouldn't be floating in reraised pots with 100BB starting stacks because it'll get too expensive.Let's say it's a $1BB game. You open on the button to $3 and the villain reraises to $9.75 and you call. The flop comes XXX and he pots for $20. If you float here, you'll have invested $30, which is 30% of your stack and you'll only have $70 left to play 2 streets where the pot is already $60. You see how you'll get into trouble a lot here?

I don't see how you could ever float. If you call the flop bet, that leaves you generally one pot sized bet give or take depending on how large the initial raise and 3bet were.Call the 3bet, flop your flush draw, and check raise all in. Hand over :)Mark

Can someone give me a little more info on what it means to float. It's a term I've heard used often, but never really paid enough attention to the context to fully grasp it.

I don't see how you could ever float. If you call the flop bet, that leaves you generally one pot sized bet give or take depending on how large the initial raise and 3bet were.Call the 3bet, flop your flush draw, and check raise all in. Hand over :)Mark
agree, i think some people are too hyped up on the idea of floating flops that they forget when its a useful strategy in the first place
Can someone give me a little more info on what it means to float. It's a term I've heard used often, but never really paid enough attention to the context to fully grasp it.
Floating means to call a bet on the flop with a draw without odds, or nothing, and take it away on the turn.This is one situation that I hate floating on. Please, don't do in on re-raised pots. The risk is way too much, and you will find your self running into a made hand more often than an raise/call. Here's a example of a better way to float:.50/$1 blinds. 6-handed. Full stacks over $100.CO raises to $3. You are on button with 7c-6c and call the bet. SB & BB call. ($7.5)Flop is J-J-8, one club. They bet $6, you call ($19.5)Turn is 3x. They check, you bet $10-$14, and they fold. In this hand, by just calling on the flop when the board is paired, you freeze your opponent on the turn if they don't have a J. Unless they have a Jack, 8's or 3's full, or an over pair, they are going to fold. I doubt they are going to call you with Q-T or T-9, or under pairs. Also, against some very risk-adverse players, they might actually fold Aces, Kings or Queens, fearing you have a jack. Might not happen often, but they are not calling your turn bet 100% of the time. And if you go get called, just give up on the pot. Also, I found this article to be helpful about floating: Floating in No-Limit Hold'em Cash Games
I read an article in Germany about this theme. It was a pure mathematical text all about ffloating with probabilities and so on. It was about 5 sites long. The summary:100bb is goodNOt in a reraised potOnly float in positionOnly float if it's close to 1/2 potsize bet and if it's very certainly a c-bet (you need read on villain here)Only float with as little as 4 outs like gutshotbet than turn about 2/3 PSIt's then a plus EV gameIt was very very long text. And this is just a summary. If somebody is interested in this mathematical text just send me a mail.

Not sure you can do a mathematical analysis of floating since it's read dependent. You can only float against a habitual c-bettor who can fold an A high. But yeah, those other conditions sound good too.