Official Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

wow

what was the highest paid coach getting before today? That seems crazy high.

good for the Leafs willing to overpay to get who they want, but it seems like too much emphasis on the coach, not enough on the talent. At this point.

I think you need talent first, before getting the right coach to put you over the top. Maybe they think they have the talent already, and just need a Babcock to get the most out of them. I dont see it, but could be. who knows.

• Replies 24k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• digitalmonkey

• Zach6668

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it a coincidence that every good team in the league follows the "fancy video game stat Geek" model of thinking? and NHL seasons aren't 68 games long, unfortunately.

I had this thought process of blasting into you, getting all mad and belligerent, and then I realized, whats the point. I don't know you, I don't really know what makes you tick, and at the end of the

I guess I'll disclaim this by saying I'm a huge Sundin fan. He's probably my favourite player of all time.   First: Nobody knows exactly what happened. The Leafs couldn't work out a trade with a pla

Posted Images

Partying up in Fresno with the news.

We finally got someone.

Let's now get some players.

Good day

Party time

wow

what was the highest paid coach getting before today? That seems crazy high.

good for the Leafs willing to overpay to get who they want, but it seems like too much emphasis on the coach, not enough on the talent. At this point.

I think you need talent first, before getting the right coach to put you over the top. Maybe they think they have the talent already, and just need a Babcock to get the most out of them. I dont see it, but could be. who knows.

Wings offer of $4M woukd have made him the highest by like $750k according to what I heard on the radio.

Wings offer of $4M woukd have made him the highest by like $750k according to what I heard on the radio.

Yeah, the problem was the taxes. Apparently he told the leafs it had to be equivalent to his gross in Michigan. 4 mil became 6 mil. wings offered 5 yrs, leafs offered an eternity in hell eight.

Yeah, the problem was the taxes. Apparently he told the leafs it had to be equivalent to his gross in Michigan. 4 mil became 6 mil. wings offered 5 yrs, leafs offered an eternity in hell eight.

top tax rates in Michigan and Ontario aren't that different, not as much as you're implying.

About 44% in Michigan and 49.5% in Ontario

top tax rates in Michigan and Ontario aren't that different, not as much as you're implying.

About 44% in Michigan and 49.5% in Ontario

Apparently it's very different for anyone employed in professional sports. It's always a concern of players, and now I'm sure top paid coaches.

I can't remember the last time we won/acquired high end staff/player that other teams were actively pursuing.

Well the last one was Clarkson I guess.

Let's all be honest... the best thing about Babs coming to TO is it exposed Bob Mackenzie for the idiot that he is!

He has since deleted the famous "not coming to TO' tweet.

Are you sure that was him because there was a fake Bob MacKenzie.

Let's all be honest... the best thing about Babs coming to TO is it exposed Bob Mackenzie for the idiot that he is!

He has since deleted the famous "not coming to TO' tweet.

To be fair most? pundits completely underestimated MLSE's willingness to unload the Brinks truck / give him power.

To be fair, Babcock WAS NOT coming to Toronto.

The Leafs, for all intents and purposes, believed they were out of the running. They had a second interview scheduled with Guy Boucher yesterday when Babcock called them to renew discussions. And MacKenzie was one of the first on that story.

So how about you just assume MacKenzie tells the truth as it is, and that sometimes things change over time?

It's absurd to rip someone so clearly connected if information changes after he reports it. It's like completely ignoring how the world functions.

So how about you just assume MacKenzie tells the truth as it is, and that sometimes things change over time?

It's absurd to rip someone so clearly connected if information changes after he reports it. It's like completely ignoring how the world functions.

Ripping people for changing their PoV based on new info is EXACTLY how the world functions.

Ripping people for changing their PoV based on new info is EXACTLY how the world functions.

I mean, the ripping part, sure, but people need to understand what the role of somebody like MacKenzie actually is. It's to provide insight on what's happening behind the scenes at a given time. Being "wrong" is something that's going to happen because of the dynamics of the business of hockey, among other things.

caught a small tidbit of the press conference on the car radio, and I have to say, I always like listening to Babcock. If his public personna is genuine, then I would really enjoy his company. Smart, direct, and realistic/humble. I respect people like that, who can be strong+know they have it all, and yet have the humility to know they dont know everything.

Ya, Im as pro-Bob as it comes.

I am noticing now how little I actually watch him these days, as hockey gets taken away from TSN and I seem to be watching CBC/Snet only during the playoffs. Miss him and his ways.

If there is one thing I think about Bob, its that he doesnt make up anything, and is much more a reporter than anyone else. The others seem to over dramatize stuff just to sound relevant.

You can have your Kippers and McLeans, I wouldnt trade Bob for 10 of those guys. (Elliott is good though)

• Like 1

I think my kid got hold of my account.... sorry to rock the boat there... it's so unlike me. I have no business saying those things... I haven't been based in TO for 15 years. Maybe he's changed!

Please forgive me.... don't kick me!

.... sorry I thought I was in the CoC thread for a second there.

:icon_silenced:

• Like 1

I wish Duthie and Mckenzie would have accepted the sportsnet offer. Duthie in strombo's role would be fantastic, and bob replacing any of the other yahoos from HNIC would obviously be a huge upgrade.

I wish Duthie and Mckenzie would have accepted the sportsnet offer. Duthie in strombo's role would be fantastic, and bob replacing any of the other yahoos from HNIC would obviously be a huge upgrade.

I didnt know they were offered spots. Too bad.

I really like Strombo in general, but he is just not working for me on HNIC. Maybe by next year he will have grown on me.

I wonder how well Duthie, Bob, Elliott and Kelly Hrudey would work. The first 3 are 3 of my favourites, and I like Hrudey a lot, though I think he's not everyones COT.

I didnt know they were offered spots. Too bad.

I really like Strombo in general, but he is just not working for me on HNIC. Maybe by next year he will have grown on me.

I wonder how well Duthie, Bob, Elliott and Kelly Hrudey would work. The first 3 are 3 of my favourites, and I like Hrudey a lot, though I think he's not everyones COT.

I agree with you on Duthie, Bob, Elliot and Hrudey...probably 4 of my favourites.