Bad beats

Ive gotten my bankroll up to almost 2000 for strickly poker, but today at lucky chances lost 300 in 6/12 limit game. Ive been on a high the las few weeks, but this basically is tearing me up. I would catch great cards and just be 2nd handed to death, just not my day.Maybe I should lower my limits?

YEAH I KNOW THAT COMPLETELY, BUT I TEND TO ALWAYS WIN AT 5-10 TABLES AND ABOVE AND CANT SEEM TO DO A THING AT THE 3-6 TABLES. IVE WON OVER 1000 IN THIS PAST WEEK PLAYING 5-10 GAMES SO AS YOU CAN SEE LOSING THAT 300 REALLY HURTS.

OK...some may find some comfort in this post, some may be a little displeased because it may ring true to their life. So, the situation is this. I started poker about a year ago and started getting pretty heavy into it. I don't play video games or computer games and I recently graduated college. I have had steady girlfriends until about the time I started playing poker. About 6months into my poker playing, the amount I played got to be a ridiculous amount. Now, this helped me become one of the best for online play, but...at what cost? I stopped working out, I stopped paying attention to girls, friends, and the entire outside world. I wonder, how many lives has poker affected in this way. Dont' get me wrong, the game is great and the play is exciting with all its highs and lows, but how many people are unable to control the monster that is poker, that is, the trap that it brings along with it. You can't stop. For an amateur like me, I've played pretty high stakes. The swings up or down cause me to play even more. If I win, I continue riding the streak. If I lose, I try to make it all back. Now that a new year is approaching, I decided to post and see what others felt about this. I love poker, and Daniel Negreanu is without question, my favorite player. He seems to be able to find a good balance between poker and life, but even he gets trapped in the web that is poker. It's addicting, more than a drug, more than anything I've ever eaten, drank, or done. Thoughts are appreciated. Richard

Ive gotten my bankroll up to almost 2000 for strickly poker, but today at lucky chances lost 300 in 6/12 limit game. Ive been on a high the las few weeks, but this basically is tearing me up. I would catch great cards and just be 2nd handed to death, just not my day.Maybe I should lower my limits?Maybe you should realize you've gotten very lucky the lasst few weeks :)Dropping 50bb is a bad day, and if you're honest with yourself you'll probably realize that you dropped 30 to bad luck and another 20 to bad play after a few bad beats.Losing 300 at 5/10 barely qualifies as a bad day.Things happen. If you are the best player on the planet you're going to have times when you loose 1000 playing 5/10. That's just poker.

IT FEELS BETTER TO KNOW THAT EVEN A GREAT PLAYER CAN LOSE THIS MUCH, BUT IT JUST ABSOLUTELY FEELS HORRIBLE THAT IN A GAME AGAINST A BUNCH OF RICH OLD GUYS BLOWING THERE MONEY AWAY, I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND THE BRIGHT SIDE. I STARTED WITH 200 AND QUICKLY LOST ON KINGS AND QUEENS TO A GUY WHO HIT A FLUSH WITH A 2 5 OF DIAMONDS. HE CHECKED THE END AND SO DID I BECAUSE I KNEW HE HIT IT, BUT THAT WAS THE KIND OF DAY. NEXT I HIT ACES AND FIVES FROM THE BIG BLIND AND SOMEONE MAKES A WHEEL, JUST WASN'T MY DAY. IM NOT SURE IF I CAN DO ANYTHING BOUT PLAYING ALONGSIDE THESE EXTREMELY LOOSE PLAYERS, BUT MAYBE SOMEONE CAN HELP

Being stuck $300 in a 6/12 games is nothing. I was stuck $300 playing 3/6 in less than an hour. That's poker, there's major swings where you'll break even for the longest time, go on a long winning streak, go on a long losing streak. The winning streaks makes us think we're better than we are and the losing streaks make us think we're worst than we are. It can be really frustrating losing with your cards, but that's just poker. Either you learn to deal with the swings or just stop playing. Nobody is lucky all the time and nobody is unlucky all the time.

its not the poker that gets you addicted, its the gamble in it. luckily, i learned to deal with it and not let it take my life over. hopr you can do the same.