Problem With My Home Game

In my homegame, it may seem little to all you high rollers out there, but this is the big bucks for us high schoolers. We've been playing for maybe 2 years and we've decided to move up in stakes. The blinds are now a whopping .25/.50 cents. Normal buy in is $20. Before we made this move I was a consistent winner and won more than I lost. But over the past week or two I've lost a considerable amount of money.. (to me).. and would like to know what a good strategy for this is. The game consists of a lot of pre flop play and not as much flop turn river play. I've been playing with these guys for a couple years so I have some decent reads on them. But lately, I've been playing tighter than usual because of the increased blind size. But I was wondering what kind of strategy you better players would use in this type of game. A more preflop type game or a post flop game? A tight or loose game?Thanks.

In my homegame, it may seem little to all you high rollers out there, but this is the big bucks for us high schoolers. We've been playing for maybe 2 years and we've decided to move up in stakes. The blinds are now a whopping .25/.50 cents. Normal buy in is $20. Before we made this move I was a consistent winner and won more than I lost. But over the past week or two I've lost a considerable amount of money.. (to me).. and would like to know what a good strategy for this is. The game consists of a lot of pre flop play and not as much flop turn river play. I've been playing with these guys for a couple years so I have some decent reads on them. But lately, I've been playing tighter than usual because of the increased blind size. But I was wondering what kind of strategy you better players would use in this type of game. A more preflop type game or a post flop game? A tight or loose game?Thanks.
This may have something to do with it. ^^^ABC poker should be good enough to start off with. Show them a couple of bluffs early on. Tighten up again and you should get paid off.

My standard homegame with friends is .25/50, normally eveyrone buys in for $40 but there are some that buy in for $20.You're so shortstacked if you're at $20, that post flop play is really limited. I would play tightish pf. Raise small, like only to $1.50. Continuation bet small, like 60% of the pot. If you make top pair top kicker, get your money in. I would not call a $2.50 pf raise with a hand like 78h, or 33, when the guy only has $17.50 left. Your implied odds just aren't great. Really I wouldn't flat call many hands pf that shortstacked. Reraise or fold.Once the stacks get deeper, then you can open up some more.Mark

I agree with NoSup. Tighten up the hand you're going to play when you know that other players will be raising a lot pre-flop. That way if you get stuck in a raise or re-raising situation you can feel more comfortable calling or pushing. Pay attention to your position and only limp in late position (on the button and cutoff) ...When you're flat calling with hands like 99 or TT, pay attention to who is raising...if they're the players that are continually raising with hands like KJ, AT, etc... you can push on them preflop and make them pay for their raises. If they are the tight players, you can give them the blinds without risking your stack preflop with marginal pairs.The problem is that you're playing with only $20 so if someone is raising to $3 pre-flop, they're probably going to push on the flop/turn and you'll be faced with a decision if you're in there with a mid-pair or draw. So if it was me, I would just tighten up and pay attention to the players and their willingness to gamble. I play a lunchtime game where our blinds are the same and I play with some gamblers so I tighten up and force them to risk their chips when they keep raising.

My standard homegame with friends is .25/50, normally eveyrone buys in for $40 but there are some that buy in for $20.Mark
No way. :club: I just can't see you playing such small stakes.

Also, another question for you guys? If its a shorthanded game what type of strategy would you guys suggest?Thanks for all the replies.

Also, another question for you guys? If its a shorthanded game what type of strategy would you guys suggest?Thanks for all the replies.
Moderately aggressive. Raise with the hands you would normally raise with, but know ahead of time you're gonna get called by a lot of garbage. The trick is figuring out when their garbage hits or when your hand is good.

Try playing different games. OmahaOmaha 8bStudStud8b2-7A-55 card drawand if you are like my friends were in highschool, the following were in constant rotationFollow the QueensBlack *****5 card draw JJ or better trips to win7 273 23BaseballNight BaseballAcey Ducey5 55Blood n Guts3 6 9Solano SlotSpit in the oceanCum Stain (no idea how it got that name)Just a few off the top of my head

Home games are for trying out things, playing crazy and having fun.Try playing really tight for a while, then play crazy loose, raising preflop with any two cards that remotely stratch to make a straight, 6 10 for instance. This way you learn post flop playing skills that are very expensive othewise.My home game we play a spread, with $2 max bets. This way a capped pot can only have about $20-$30 max, less felting of a guy during the first 1/2 hour. Plus the bluffs are harder.Also have a mini tournament every time. Everyone kcik in $20, split the chips and have 15 minute blinds. We make the first guy out deal the rest of the tournament, but he gets his buy in back. Plus if I'm a big cash winner, I can donk it up in the toury, and visa versa.Any stakes you play you should be learning at a home game.

Home games are for trying out things, playing crazy and having fun.Try playing really tight for a while, then play crazy loose, raising preflop with any two cards that remotely stratch to make a straight, 6 10 for instance. This way you learn post flop playing skills that are very expensive othewise.My home game we play a spread, with $2 max bets. This way a capped pot can only have about $20-$30 max, less felting of a guy during the first 1/2 hour. Plus the bluffs are harder.Also have a mini tournament every time. Everyone kcik in $20, split the chips and have 15 minute blinds. We make the first guy out deal the rest of the tournament, but he gets his buy in back. Plus if I'm a big cash winner, I can donk it up in the toury, and visa versa.Any stakes you play you should be learning at a home game.
Also, Balloon_Guy wrote a column on a typical cash game session you might want to check out. You'll probably want to stake him afterwards, as it seems like a profitable endeavor.
No way. :club: I just can't see you playing such small stakes.
hehe, not all my friends are professional poker players :D I love poker, I'll play with friends for any stakes! Plus then I get to drink heavily and shove every draw just for the fun of 4 outering my buddies now and then...Mark
hehe, not all my friends are professional poker players :D I love poker, I'll play with friends for any stakes! Plus then I get to drink heavily and shove every draw just for the fun of 4 outering my buddies now and then...Mark
plus sometimes it's actually beneficial and super fun to play small stakes and try to win every pot you play by switching it up a lot. Phil Ivey told me that once. :club:

why dont u talk to ur friends and lower the blind size to like .10/.20 rather then play shortstacked?

because i have 1 vote, theres 3-4 other regulars normally and they each get a vote. so that just doesn't work out. i can buy in for more which is probably what i will do.

because i have 1 vote, theres 3-4 other regulars normally and they each get a vote. so that just doesn't work out. i can buy in for more which is probably what i will do.
@ least that will give u some more room to work with but if your not comfortable with all that money on the table and your gonna play scared i wouldnt play

If $20-$40 is a lot of money to you, then you shouldn't be playing poker with it. If you want to build a bankroll playing $20-$40 stakes, or even lower than that, more power to you. Plenty of people started at very low limits and are now playing at limits most of us only dream about. However, if you can't afford $20 - $40 comforatably (which is understandable...you're a young kid) then put the money in a bank, get a real job, and don't play poker unless the stakes are lower. I definitely remember being your age playing .25-.50 stud games and such, and we had some games like 727 that would have pretty big split pots (for the stakes). But I never changed the way I played because of it and understood even that age, that if I did, I shouldn't be playing at all.

Ok, so here's what you do. Since this is a kind of tight situation for you in terms of the fact that you are buying in for a relatively low amount of BB, you are going to want to play pretty tight and look for a spot that you can play back at the original raiser for a lot of your chips. This is a pretty basic strategy, make yourself look really tight and then find the guy you can pick on at the table with a lot of re-raises. If you can find the weak link in the game just pick on that guy. This way you are not risking more than you are comfortable with, but I doubt you will have a good time doing it. It will feel more like grinding it out, than having fun. But do what you gotta do to make that money son.Chris

Sick hand last night at my home game freeze out:3 handed blinds 5/10Me Button: 85 chipsSB chip leader: 400+ chipsBB: 200 chipsI raise to 30callcallflop A 4 3 rainbowsb all inbb call all inme? Duh callMe: AK chip leader: AJ 2nd chip leader: A3 turn J, river 3. Ouch GG me

Sick hand last night at my home game freeze out:3 handed blinds 5/10Me Button: 85 chipsSB chip leader: 400+ chipsBB: 200 chipsI raise to 30callcallflop A 4 3 rainbowsb all inbb call all inme? Duh callMe: AK chip leader: AJ 2nd chip leader: A3 turn J, river 3. Ouch GG me
Shove preflop.