2007 All Star Game

I think it's pretty easy to determine who is worthy of All-Star appearances this year. But I'm just thankful that Cano was overtaken for the fan votes.Lets stir some debatesALCatcher: Posada or Martinez?1B: Kotchman? or is it fair to have Ortiz even though he's a DH?2B: What a weak position, its Polanco by a landslide. Right?SS: Jeter or Guillen?3B: A-Rod, or Joe Crede? He did win the Silver Slugger after allOF: Mags, Vlad, and Ichiro. If Nick Swisher had a cooler nickname would he be in?P: Haren, Sabathia, or Shields?RP: Putz? Nathan?NLC: Russel Martin1B: Prince, or how about some love for Dmitri Young (and will Young be the Nats only rep)2B: Utley, Uggla, or Kelly Johnson?SS: My favorite postion of all, Reyes, Han-Ram, or Renteria, or Hardy, or.....3B: MiggyOF: Another wide open position. Bonds, Holliday, Griffey....P:PeavyRP: Saito, FCordero

ALC: Johjima1B: Ortiz2B: PolancoSS: Jeter3B: A-RodOF: Magglio, Ichiro, VladSP (even though it's not voted on): SabathiaNLC: Martin1B: Prince/Pujols2B: UtleySS: Reyes3B: CabreraOF: Holliday, Griffey, Rowand (he won't make it but he's my pick!)SP: Hamels (can't ya tell I'm a Phillies fan?)

2B: What a weak position, its Polanco by a landslide. Right?
How about B.J. Upton? .320/.396/.545 9 HR, 31 RBI, and 13 Steals. Brian Roberts ain't bad either. .400 OBP and 22 steals. Putz should probably be the closer for the AL, though Okajima deserves to be on the team somewhere. He's outfilthied Papelbon this year, which is pretty sick.

Yep, I completely forgot about Putz. Easily the best reliever in the league at this point in the year. But Okajima has no place on the squad. If I were to choose a noncloser RP, it's the straightup side-armer from the great state of MN pitching for his hometeam. And I'm only being slightly bias.

AL:C: Posada1B: Ortiz2B: UptonSS: Jeter3B: ArodOF: GuerreroOF: OrdonezOF: HunterSP: HarenNL:C: Martin1B: Fielder2B: UtleySS: Reyes3B: Cabrera OF: HollidayOF: SorianoOF: Byrnes (I can't believe I'm saying this)SP: PeavyI did not vote yet, but I can guess who will win.AL: Posada, Ortiz, Cano, Jeter, Arod, Ichiro, Manny, and Guerrero. (Yep...6 Sox and Yanks. You know that Ichiro and Manny are always going to make it. Upton has no chance being a Devil Ray, but he's clearly the best 2B in the AL.)NL: Martin, Pujols, Utley, Reyes, Wright, Beltran, Soriano, Holliday. (I can see Martin being replaced by Lo Duca, because most fans shouldn't vote. I can also see Griffey moving ahead of Holliday simply, because of popularity. There is no way that Byrnes will make it considering the popularity of Beltran.)

Yep, I completely forgot about Putz. Easily the best reliever in the league at this point in the year. But Okajima has no place on the squad. If I were to choose a noncloser RP, it's the straightup side-armer from the great state of MN pitching for his hometeam. And I'm only being slightly bias.
Neshek is awesome, no doubt. One of my favorite non-Sox players and he even has the best signature in existence (or at least the past 200 years). One is Neshek, one is Okajima:3-0 1.16 ERA 31 IP 37/11 K/BB2-0 1.14 ERA 31.2 IP 29/8 K/BBSame guy?If you're putting a premium on saves and it sounds like you are by emphasizing closers, Okaji leads 4-0. They've both been thrown into some high-leverage situations. Neshek leads Okajima in WPA 2.02-1.90Really, they've both been awesome. They're good enough to close for any team and would be if they weren't behind studs like Papelbon and Nathan (who have both been outpitched by their set up men...though not by much).If I'm choosing the teams, I'm taking both.

I think it is only fair to mention that Refeal Bentancourt may be having the best success of any AL RP.Also, I thought I would bring up that even though Upton has a 316 to 280 advantage in EQA over Polanco, he trails Polanco in WARP3 6.9 to 7.5 due to his horribly defense.

Also, I thought I would bring up that even though Upton has a 316 to 280 advantage in EQA over Polanco, he trails Polanco in WARP3 6.9 to 7.5 due to his horribly defense.
Yeah, I guess it comes down to what you want in an All-Star. Upton's injured right now....but putting him on the team gets the Devil Rays quota taken care of.I think there's some decent choices this year. Last year Loretta won the voting and it wasn't an outrage. Cano didn't really take off until after the All-Star break...or late enough in the first half that his slow start still hindered the overall numbers. By contrast, Pedroia's been much better than Loretta this year even with his .170 April and it would be tough to make a case for him.
Also, I thought I would bring up that even though Upton has a 316 to 280 advantage in EQA over Polanco, he trails Polanco in WARP3 6.9 to 7.5 due to his horribly defense.
Oooh....my first double post. I'll take this opportunity to say that making a case for Pedroia wouldn't be that tough. He is hitting .331.
  • 2 weeks later...

NL update:2007 MLB All-Star Balloting : National League1st BaseRANK PLAYER NAME NL TEAM TOTAL VOTES1. Fielder, P. Brewers 1,453,7162. Pujols, A. Cardinals 1,198,2883. Garciaparra, N. Dodgers 1,011,3724. Lee, D. Cubs 644,5535. Delgado, C. Mets 636,1752nd BaseRANK PLAYER NAME NL TEAM TOTAL VOTES1. Utley, C. Phillies 1,289,3002. Kent, J. Dodgers 861,8283. Biggio, C. Astros 746,7704. Weeks, R. Brewers 733,5465. Valentin, J. Mets 477,560ShortstopRANK PLAYER NAME NL TEAM TOTAL VOTES1. Reyes, J. Mets 1,365,0112. Hardy, J.J. Brewers 1,152,3373. Furcal, R. Dodgers 750,3664. Rollins, J. Phillies 595,1275. Eckstein, D. Cardinals 571,4673rd BaseRANK PLAYER NAME NL TEAM TOTAL VOTES1. Wright, D. Mets 1,424,9272. Cabrera, M. Marlins 1,142,3043. Jones, C. Braves 773,2774. Rolen, S. Cardinals 625,0735. Ramirez, A. Cubs 593,356CatcherRANK PLAYER NAME NL TEAM TOTAL VOTES1. Martin, R. Dodgers 1,290,9502. Lo Duca, P. Mets 1,077,8363. Estrada, J. Brewers 850,3164. McCann, B. Braves 715,8095. Molina, B. Giants 687,937OutfieldRANK PLAYER NAME NL TEAM TOTAL VOTES1. Beltran, C. Mets 1,698,2172. Griffey Jr., K. Reds 1,640,5753. Soriano, A. Cubs 1,332,5814. Bonds, B. Giants 1,213,4235. Jones, A. Braves 916,3346. Holliday, M. Rockies 865,6387. Lee, C. Astros 808,6668. Jenkins, G. Brewers 700,7619. Hall, B. Brewers 679,75510. Gonzalez, L. Dodgers 638,70211. Pierre, J. Dodgers 608,82812. Hart, C. Brewers 582,72113. Alou, M. Mets 579,50214. Edmonds, J. Cardinals 560,13715. Ethier, A. Dodgers 548,260Results updated: Monday, June 25, 2007

I have an Indians question. Is there any chance C.C. won't be in the all star game? He is pitching great this year. He had a stretch when he went three straight games going 9 innings (actually the last was only 8 1/3).The first game was a 1-0 shutout. The second game C.C. didn't give up a run in 9 innings, and he had 2 of the Indian's hits but that was the only offense and the game went into extras 0-0. He recently just had another complete game performance only giving up 2 runs. He averages almost 6 strikeouts per walk and he is, I think 5th in the league in strikeouts. He is good.

Holliday is ranked 6th among NL outfielders and Beltran is first. Proving, once again, that most baseball fans don't deserve to vote.