So, I'm playing at a 2/3 table at the Bike, and an unknown sits down to my left and has about 600, and I have about 500 well earned chips.I'm in the Cut Off, and unknown is to my right. The hand goes, fold, fold, limp, limp, limp, and I have KJ, so I decide to get a little frisky and make a raise and try to steal the money right there, figuring, the only people who may have me dominated are the possible callers behind me. Everyone folds, except the two players to my right.Flop comes J 89, 2 diamonds. I have the Jack of Diamonds. Everyone checks to me, so I bet 30 into about a 43 dollar pot. First guy, folds, and the unknown calls. Turn is a 2 of clubs. He checks fairly quickly, at this point I put him on a draw, most likely a diamond draw, and I figure if I put in a big bet he can't call, so I bet 100, which is a little under the total pot. He huffs and puffs, and takes some time, and just calls. At this point I get scared that he may have the 910.The River comes an non diamond Ace, and he pushes all in, and has me covered. I didn't even think. I folded right there on the spot, and say, "nice acting". I figured he could have Ace Jack, or the straight already. Then he shows Q10 of diamonds! He later says, "I was pushing on any Ace or King."I also realize later that this guy's hand ready ability was better than mine, and probably the best I've seen at that level at the Bike.I've thought about how I could avoid these all in river bluffs to capable players, because it seems like the higher I play the more I see this kind of play. Do I play it smallball style? Check the turn, and see what happens on the river? Or do I make a smaller bet on the turn? It seems like if you were using the Slansky rule of poker, I played well until the river. Should I have thought more about his all in bet on the river? Would I have called, had I thought about it for a second?

No disrespect, but the format that you posted this hand won't always get you the most constructive of criticism.Don't reveal results, it will skew the thinking of the responses.Just post your hand, the stack sizes, the bet sizes, and how much is in the pot on each street. Then ask specific questions, like "How much and should I be betting the turn?"I like betting the turn. If you read that he's on a draw you can't give away a free card on a coordinated board.How much did you raise preflop?I might throw in a little 3x raise in late position with KJs with a bunch of limpers up front, because I want to build a big pot with a multiway drawing-type hand. However, with KJo in LP with limpers up front, there's a fair chance your dominated. I think arguments for limping or folding preflop are very valid, depending on table conditions.

I'm a little confused by this hand. He flopped the nut straight and check-called until the river where he pushed into you, yes?He played it unusually. He played it a lot like someone on a busted draw. Typically, the nuts check-raises the turn.

My bad. Thanks for the replies. The flop was J78. He bluffed on the river with a busted gut shot diamond draw, and he showed. Q10 diamonds.Like I said, I knew I was getting frisky, but the table was a typical limpy, weak table. I raised 25 I believe. I played it like I would play any big hand. A normal raise would be 12-15 on this table. So I just added the money of the limpers onto that for my raise, which is pretty standard for me.Ok, now that we got that straight. Let's talk about the river. What the **** do I do there?

I don't think you can call the river here. Even if he was drawing, it's hard not to consider the NFD, which beat you on the river.
yea but he wouldnt push all in if he just hit his ace. hes getting no value there as most likely hero is not going to call with worse than a pair of aces. Whenever somebody open shoves into me when ive shown strength before that point I will take a minute to observe. DId a draw get there? did a draw miss? Does my opponent seem to want a call or a fold? I will then think about the hand. In this case, the one hand that makes sense that has you beat is AJ, however I would have expected a flop check raise with TPTK on a J78 flop once it gets HU (you said everyone in between you 2 folded). 910 prob check raises the turn when you put in a nice bet. Same with a set or any other made hand. This bet would be interpreted by me as either AJ or a bluff. Now its time to deduce what you know about the player and make your play. Never insta act in a big pot. Def. -EV.

Okay, here's the thing...when someone who has played a hand passively suddenly overbet-pushes into you on the river, it's only one of two things:1) A desperation bluff by a busted draw.2) A huge hand trying to represent a busted draw.My experience is that very few players that use the first play, have the second play, so at least you have that going for you moving forward against this guy.I think if you played this hand out in your head, you could've found a call. I would've called (which is easy to say seeing results) based on a few things:If he had a really strong hand, he would've put in a raise somewhere and taken control of the hand. You raised preflop, you bet the flop, you bet the turn. You obviously like your hand somewhat. If someone flopped a straight and put your opponent on one of the hands you're repping (an overpair, set, AJ, etc), why check-call twice? Maybe check-call the flop in case you have nothing, but once you bet again, how often does a real hand just call again? Does he really think a hand like KK or AJ is going to bet on the river with that board? No, it only makes sense to check-call again on a draw or if he really puts you on nothing at all. If it's the latter, though, he's going to check it back to you on the river because if you have nothing, you're certainly not calling a bet.The ace on the river is a pretty good card, actually. He could be on the A-high flush draw, of course, but he's certainly not pushing all in with just a pair of aces.His bluff is a pretty beginner play and I think if you keep playing with him, you'll find him to be a profit more often than not.

I also realize later that this guy's hand ready ability was better than mine, and probably the best I've seen at that level at the Bike.
Just curious, how do you know that he reads well? The way he played the hand seems like he chips-spews a lot to monster hands. I don't mind your fold at all. The way you played it, you made it very expensive for him to draw out on you even with a good draw. All he had was a gutshot. Folding the best hand once in a while is nothing to be ashamed of, just try to learn from it. From this point on, I'm sure you had a better read on this guy. Now you know to value bet the crap out of him and to set up a situation where he's gonna spew his stack off on the river.

Thanks fellas, now that I think about it. It is a pretty obvious busted draw. I don't know, something just made me think he had 910 of diamonds or something, and I didn't even think about it. But, you guys are right, if he has the nut straight, he's probably not pushing all in.When I sat with him, for the rest of the night he was putting people on hands, and putting them to the test. He was pretty spot on for the rest of the night. We would talk during hands and so forth about what people were holding.I played with him again last night and made most of it back from him. And, uh, you guy were also right, he wasn't as good as I thought he was initially."Never insta act in a big pot. Def. -EV."This is good advice.

Just curious, how do you know that he reads well? The way he played the hand seems like he chips-spews a lot to monster hands. I don't mind your fold at all. The way you played it, you made it very expensive for him to draw out on you even with a good draw. All he had was a gutshot. Folding the best hand once in a while is nothing to be ashamed of, just try to learn from it. From this point on, I'm sure you had a better read on this guy. Now you know to value bet the crap out of him and to set up a situation where he's gonna spew his stack off on the river.
He had a combo draw with 1 over