OK, from what I have read about the motion picture industry boom in Canada has little to do with the exchange rate but rather the high cost of doing business with the unions. Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall filmed the movie Open Range in Alberta but the set was to look like Montana. Watch the extras on the DVD and Costner will explain why he took the movie to Alberta, and how he cut his overhead by more than one half.Living in Michigan, the automotive capital, I have watched all the tool and die business leave one after the other. Why?, The union wage with benefits. The companies will either relocate to Mexico, Canada or another state that is not run by unions (Ex Tennesee). The previous and current union generation will leave no manufacturing jobs for their children. The children of the current union generation will be forced to work at significantly lower wage retail positions and have to work considerably later in life than their parents have. And yes, the unemployment rate is decreasing, but why? is the question. You are no longer considered unemployed if you reached your limit that you can draw (and your still unemployed) or if you took a job at walmart because nothing else was available. I am no economic wizard, but I dont think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that you can't look at the unemployment rate by itself, but rather compare it to the decrease in wages as well. I don't agree with how the war has progressed but I don't know why it is always blamed on the war. We all agreed on 9/12/01. The United States worries too much about collateral damage, humanitarian relief and rebuilding a democratic society. You will never win a war against an enemy on their terrain who can hide, wear civilian clothing to blend with civilian population and most importantly, it is a reward to die, if you worry about civilian casualties. Why do we worry about collateral damage in our enemies country so much when everyone that fell on 9/11/01 were civillian casualties. What ever happened to shock and awe?

OK, from what I have read about the motion picture industry boom in Canada has little to do with the exchange rate but rather the high cost of doing business with the unions. Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall filmed the movie Open Range in Alberta but the set was to look like Montana. Watch the extras on the DVD and Costner will explain why he took the movie to Alberta, and how he cut his overhead by more than one half.Living in Michigan, the automotive capital, I have watched all the tool and die business leave one after the other. Why?, The union wage with benefits. The companies will either relocate to Mexico, Canada or another state that is not run by unions (Ex Tennesee). The previous and current union generation will leave no manufacturing jobs for their children. The children of the current union generation will be forced to work at significantly lower wage retail positions and have to work considerably later in life than their parents have. And yes, the unemployment rate is decreasing, but why? is the question. You are no longer considered unemployed if you reached your limit that you can draw (and your still unemployed) or if you took a job at walmart because nothing else was available. I am no economic wizard, but I dont think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that you can't look at the unemployment rate by itself, but rather compare it to the decrease in wages as well. I don't agree with how the war has progressed but I don't know why it is always blamed on the war. We all agreed on 9/12/01. The United States worries too much about collateral damage, humanitarian relief and rebuilding a democratic society. You will never win a war against an enemy on their terrain who can hide, wear civilian clothing to blend with civilian population and most importantly, it is a reward to die, if you worry about civilian casualties. Why do we worry about collateral damage in our enemies country so much when everyone that fell on 9/11/01 were civillian casualties. What ever happened to shock and awe?
In response to the first part of your of your post about Unions, they have gone from a needed entity in this country to something that is driving business out. The cost of labor and benefits driven up by unions have forced business to look elsewhere for a labor force.In highschool I worked in a Grocery store and we had UCFW union, and they strike every couple years for a new contract and in my opinion the people doing the jobs are overpaid. When I was 18 years old I could have made $16 an hour stocking shelves and swiping yogurt across a scanner. This was 1994. If there was no union that would be a 10-12 dollar an hour job, and the person who was in charge (assistant manger or department head would have made 20-25 dollars an hour to manage those people) but instead the assistant manager makes one extra dollar an hour more than the 18 year old even though he has been there for 20 years.This is one example of many, I aslo understand that Unions have helped many people over the year and still do, but some have too much power and the Union system needs and overhauling.

International Union of Operating Engineers Local 12 - 8 yearsSome unions, like heavy equipment, are still viable because the labor cost in running $300,000 tractors is a smaller piece of the pie, and their training programs are decent.My brother is a Teamo, but in the pipe line oilers side, again, important training needs and unions are glorified job referral locations.Most unions will be gone in the next few decades.They will be back.It's a circle

International Union of Operating Engineers Local 12 - 8 yearsSome unions, like heavy equipment, are still viable because the labor cost in running $300,000 tractors is a smaller piece of the pie, and their training programs are decent.My brother is a Teamo, but in the pipe line oilers side, again, important training needs and unions are glorified job referral locations.Most unions will be gone in the next few decades.They will be back.It's a circle
I agree, they were formed because of the substandard working condition and wages of the industrial revolution. They were a necessity then, they have become less of a necessity especially as the free market dictates wages in our era's society. There are definately situations as you mentioned that Unions are beneficial, but does anyone thinks unions like the MLB players associating and teh NFLPA are actually helping anyone anymore, and they carry so much power.The teachers union in California is the biggest liberal political lobiest in our state, over half of our state budget goes to education and it is still in the toilet, I don't think they are helping much.I know unions have tried to push into Wal Mart for years... it would not be good for the consumer, priced would increase drastically if cashiers were making $14 an hour at Wal Mart. Back to my Grocery example, most grocery stores operate between a 1 and 3 percent profit margin and departments like produce and pharmacy are loss leaders and are only there because they have to be, if they did not have to pay the wages they do, profits could be in the 5 - 10 percent range.
It's a circle
I agree, it is a circle! But, how long before the circle comes around to us again and how long will it stay, Remember Made in Japan ? El Guapo is correct as well with supermarkets. I worked for 11 years in a supermarket in NY and margins did run around 1-3 % but if salary expense was to decrease I would like to think that the savings would be passed on to the consumer rather than an increase in company profit. I now own an Ace Hardware store and Ace corporate, as I am sure are many other large corporations, are dumping a boatload of money into overseas expansion.
I don't agree with how the war has progressed but I don't know why it is always blamed on the war. We all agreed on 9/12/01. The United States worries too much about collateral damage, humanitarian relief and rebuilding a democratic society. You will never win a war against an enemy on their terrain who can hide, wear civilian clothing to blend with civilian population and most importantly, it is a reward to die, if you worry about civilian casualties. Why do we worry about collateral damage in our enemies country so much when everyone that fell on 9/11/01 were civillian casualties. What ever happened to shock and awe?
Jesus.Iraq did not attack us on 911. Al Qaeda is a small part of the problem in Iraq. 911 and the Iraq war are not related.
Jesus.Iraq did not attack us on 911. Al Qaeda is a small part of the problem in Iraq. 911 and the Iraq war are not related.
That is just incorrect. They may not be the same and I certainly don't like the war (it is bad for business) but the are related
That is just incorrect. They may not be the same and I certainly don't like the war (it is bad for business) but the are related
They are related in that 9/11 is the rationalization Bush used to get popular support, because many Americans don't differentiate among Arabs.
They are related in that 9/11 is the rationalization Bush used to get popular support, because many Americans don't differentiate among Arabs.
You really don’t believe that Al Qaeda, 9/11, Iran, Syria, Hezbollah (sp?)…are related?? LOL…stick your head in the sand and pretend it doesn’t exist!!I am not saying they are the one and the same but to think these organizations are just sitting in their little caves in their own respective parts of the middle east is just silly. They are global organizations with connections, links and most important COMMON GOALS….destruction of the WEST specifically Israel and the US. You can ignore these little issues it won’t fix the problem. Oh and by the way these very same groups have money being moved through the US every day..via wires and the stock market etc.What I disagree with is the handling of the war in Iraq. If you are going to go and fight a war go to WIN!!!! I am tired of seeing kids die, money spent and nothing accomplished. You can’t fight a little bit. You are in to win or DON’T GO!! Unfortunately that is not the way we have chosen to handle things.History in Vietnam and Korea should have been be enough to teach us that.BTW- you are correct we don't differentiate between arabs but niether does the rest of the world...or the other way around.
You really don’t believe that Al Qaeda, 9/11, Iran, Syria, Hezbollah (sp?)…are related?? LOL…stick your head in the sand and pretend it doesn’t exist!!
Ummm, KONGOS and David were talking about 9/11 and Iraq. Iraq. You know that country that isn't Iran. That country that isn't Syria etc etc etc.
I am not saying they are the one and the same but to think these organizations are just sitting in their little caves in their own respective parts of the middle east is just silly. They are global organizations with connections, links and most important COMMON GOALS….destruction of the WEST specifically Israel and the US. You can ignore these little issues it won’t fix the problem. Oh and by the way these very same groups have money being moved through the US every day..via wires and the stock market etc.What I disagree with is the handling of the war in Iraq. If you are going to go and fight a war go to WIN!!!! I am tired of seeing kids die, money spent and nothing accomplished. You can’t fight a little bit. You are in to win or DON’T GO!! Unfortunately that is not the way we have chosen to handle things.History in Vietnam and Korea should have been be enough to teach us that.
You know when George W started trying to link Al Qaeda, 9/11 and Iraq I asked myself "Is it possible that even the American right are stupid enough to swallow this?"Thanks for answering that one.
BTW- you are correct we don't differentiate between arabs but niether does the rest of the world...or the other way around.
Nice bit of racism to finish with.
Iraq. You know that country that isn't Iran. That country that isn't Syria etc etc etc.You know when George W started trying to link Al Qaeda, 9/11 and Iraq I asked myself "Is it possible that even the American right are stupid enough to swallow this?"Look at a globe. They are border countries, only a fool think they are isolated from each other...but you no doubt will feel that way. Of course it is possible that there is no link between them...the only thing they hate more then each other is the west and the jews...whatever.Thanks for answering that one.Stupid enough or is it with enough life skills, using common logic to make some logic out of the truth, partial truths and lies...you won't learn in your advanced calc classes.Nice bit of racism to finish with.LOL that isn't racism...lack of knowledge maybe but not racism. Of course you did miss the part about it going both ways...but that wouldn't be important to you.[/quote]

LOL!!!people STILL think that 911/al-q. and iraq,etc..are related, hahaha.and now iran??? man some people are dense (ingrained racism most likely plays a big part of this).bin laden and saddam did not like each other. bin laden is for strict muslim law, while iraq under saddam was secular. in fact, iraq under saddam was a very progressive muslim country, compared to countries like kuwait and saudi arabia (where women can't vote or drive, yet they are a big ally of the US).the biggest health problem for iraqi children prior to 1991 was obesity...they had great infrastructure, and had the world's 4th largest army.

Here in Canada the Labour Board pretty much does what Unions were first meant to do. Working conditions, pay on time and most other legal issues.When we frst immigrated to Canada late 70's my dad worked in a leather factor cutting leather, he could work as much as he wanted and did bonus shifts on the weekend to help raise 4 kids. Worked there for 2 years and made a decent living at the time as he was the only one working. Union comes in, and employees vote and decide they need a union. 6 months later factory closes down as labour costs were to high. Father of 4 unemployed.My gf's best friend works at a private daycare unionized. Owners of the daycare decide they want to take away some of the employee benefits so the strike begins. Strike pay is a joke but the emplyees decide its worth fighting for (union tells them to). Just over a year later yes a year the Day care sells the building and closes shop. These poor emplyees striked for $100 a week for over a year just to lose their jobs. Heres a good example a friend of mine gets into a drug and gambling problem decides to start embezzling from the company gets caught. Union fights for him saying it was his addiction that caused it wins his job back with free councelling.

saudi arabia (where women can't vote or drive, yet they are a big ally of the US).
You are the first person naive enough to believe....let me guess when we supported Iraq back in the early 80’s he was also…LOL Strange bed fellows at best….for real Allies see UK, Israel, CA.

Saddam's Iraq was a secular state - he himself was a great admirer of Stalin. In no way, save for their general hatred of the US, did Saddam and the Islamofascists have a common ideology. Saddam was probably on Al Qaeda's target list.About the MLB unions. Umm, they help major league baseball players earn a lot of money.Before the union got any teeth, baseball owners could get away with grossly underpaying their players, claiming they didn't have the money. Holdouts by star players were common, while ordinary players had no bargaining power at all. The owners claimed that free agency would bankrupt them. Lo and behold, when the market for baseball players opened up in the mid-seventies, players salaries quadrupled almost across the board within 2 years, yet no team went bankrupt. In 1970, the highest paid ballplayer in MLB was making something like 120k per year; ten years later it was over 1 million.The main thing that happened in baseball was that the union forced the owners to give the players a bigger slice of the pie. Increased salaries also acted as a spur for owners to find more revenue - which they duly did - big TV contracts, merchandising etc. Now, despite the enormous salaries players earn, baseball teams are worth far more that they were a couple of decades ago (to see this, look at how the resale value of franchises has gone up consistently).

About the MLB unions. Umm, they help major league baseball players earn a lot of money.
Umm, no the general population does that by shelling out the outrageous $$ for tickets. No one is worth 26 million per year. A majority of the households in this country are about one paycheck from going broke. The average credit card debt in this country is circling the $10K mark and growing. As larger salary employment leaves this country, over time, will have a major impact on discretionary income and in turn and sports entertainment. They better count their blessings now, because the next generation will not have the $$'s to spend on the over-priced tickets.