This was a friend of mine. Early in a $10 mtt, with 670 entrants. 10/20 blinds about to go up.Seat 1: HERO (1430 in chips) Seat 2: Ily79 (2260 in chips) Seat 3: platinumyuki (1330 in chips) Seat 4: CH1NE (1530 in chips) Seat 5: xxnnxx (1420 in chips) Seat 6: cards4hire (1700 in chips) Seat 7: BringOnDaPro (1570 in chips) Seat 8: arkgal (400 in chips) Seat 9: Holdem_Hooli (1840 in chips) BringOnDaPro: posts small blind 10arkgal: posts big blind 20*** HOLE CARDS ***HERO dealt Qc QdHoldem_Hooli: raises 40 to 60HERO: calls 60Ily79: calls 60platinumyuki: folds CH1NE: folds xxnnxx: folds cards4hire: folds BringOnDaPro: folds arkgal: calls 40*** FLOP *** [5h 5d Tc]arkgal: checks Holdem_Hooli: bets 220HERO : calls 220Ily79: folds arkgal: folds *** TURN *** [5h 5d Tc] [9s]Holdem_Hooli: bets 580HERO???????I know there will be issues with preflop and flop play. But anyway. I am hoping to get him some good feedback to improve his game.

I think as played it's pretty much a shove on the turn. The problem with the hand is never reraising means you never get a chance to narrow the villian's hand range. If you reraise preflop and villian comes over the top again, it's possible to lay QQ down, same goes for the flop, if you raise and get reraised, possible to lay it down. Because you have let him do all of the betting, I just don't see getting away from the hand. My gut feeling here is that villian is pushing AK, but that's just me. Anyway, raise at an earlier point to get a feel for where you're at.

Theres only 2 options push or fold. I don't put him on AA or KK as he probably would have raised more before the flop. I can definitely put him on 99, TT, A5s or even 5,5 because of his betting. I would probably fold and wait for a better spot. Tell your friend to be more agressive pre flop unless he has a really good read on his opponents. A side note pushing isn't all that bad, even more so if you know he's loose and likes to see flops.

Tell him to raise in 3 places: preflop, flop and turn. By not raising in position your friend has no idea what he's up against. Best case scenario is AT or JJ, both possible and both will go broke (probably).MakingMusic, I would also be inclined to think AK, but would need more info on villain to see if he is capable of double-barreling AK, theres no draw he could be charging.TheMan2Go, I doubt this is A5 being raised from UTG. If its 55 thats a hella crazy line, TT isn't impossible, but more often than not people love to slowplay these monsters. Also he's raising UTG so AA/KK have to be in his range. But our lack of reraise hasn't defined his range.

Preflop, hero reraises to 240. With doing this, the hand plays totally different imo. 55 is probably out of the equation, A5 is gone, TT, JJ is a possibility. If villain has AA/KK, he'd probably 4 bet. You get a lot of information out of that reraise and it's very important to isolate the villain here too. You don't want a 4 way pot with QQ.As played, I'm reraising that flop and committing myself. Turn, already committed from my flop play.

Okay, I knew the line would be to raise pre to start, absolutely have to. So we raise to the 240 range. I have thoughts on these questions, but again I want to help my friend so input from you guys would really help.1) We raise preflop, and are flat called. Assuming all others fold. What range are we putting villain on?2) We raise preflop, flat called, and villain leads out into that flop. What do we put him on?3) We raise preflop, we are re-popped, are we willing to put villain on AA/KK at that point and fold? Could he take that line with AK or JJ? What do we need to see here to lay this down? If he shoves over the top are you ever calling here with no reads? Are we calling a small raise and seeing what he does on the flop? Never 4 betting here because UTG range, correct?4) I am quite certain that if we raise pre, get called, and it is checked on the flop, we are ahead and have to bet into him. If we get check raised, I am more then likely willing to fold. Agree?

Okay, I knew the line would be to raise pre to start, absolutely have to. So we raise to the 240 range. I have thoughts on these questions, but again I want to help my friend so input from you guys would really help.1) We raise preflop, and are flat called. Assuming all others fold. What range are we putting villain on?I'd say JJ>=pp>22, AK-J2) We raise preflop, flat called, and villain leads out into that flop. What do we put him on?Most likely JJ, possibly AT if villain is bad. I raise a bet on this flop with QQ, happily. Maybe fold to a shove, but unlikely.3) We raise preflop, we are re-popped, are we willing to put villain on AA/KK at that point and fold? Could he take that line with AK or JJ? What do we need to see here to lay this down? If he shoves over the top are you ever calling here with no reads? Are we calling a small raise and seeing what he does on the flop? Never 4 betting here because UTG range, correct?I'm not folding QQ to a r/r pre, not without a solid read that he's only ever opening UTG and r/ring with AA/KK/AK. So definately a call with position, 4-betting isn't awful but with no reads it's probably a leak4) I am quite certain that if we raise pre, get called, and it is checked on the flop, we are ahead and have to bet into him. If we get check raised, I am more then likely willing to fold. Agree?Agree, to an extent. A c/r on this flop is scary but is villain calling a r/r with a 5 in his hand? TT? Again its read dependent, I'm not too dissapointed with getting it in with QQ and this board. Obv bet if checked to.

As much as I love flatting w/ big pairs from EP raisers, I don't think this is the spot to do it in. It's literally UTG raising, and you're sitting in UTG+1 w/ QQ. I'd pop it to ~200-240. Flop play would change considering villains action to your reraise preflop, so I'll stop there.

Okay, I knew the line would be to raise pre to start, absolutely have to. So we raise to the 240 range. I have thoughts on these questions, but again I want to help my friend so input from you guys would really help.1) We raise preflop, and are flat called. Assuming all others fold. What range are we putting villain on?99,TT,JJ, AJ+2) We raise preflop, flat called, and villain leads out into that flop. What do we put him on?Depends on the bet. I think shoves would be weak here. I'm still having a hard time getting off this hand with this flop, so I might shove any action here and I guess we'll find out soon enough.3) We raise preflop, we are re-popped, are we willing to put villain on AA/KK at that point and fold? Could he take that line with AK or JJ? What do we need to see here to lay this down? If he shoves over the top are you ever calling here with no reads? Are we calling a small raise and seeing what he does on the flop? Never 4 betting here because UTG range, correct?I might fold at this point if it is shoved or reraised.4) I am quite certain that if we raise pre, get called, and it is checked on the flop, we are ahead and have to bet into him. If we get check raised, I am more then likely willing to fold. Agree?Agree

Thanks Jeff... btw, you definitely should have been mentioned in my infamous Thank You 1,000 Post. Sorry for the oversight.EDIT: obv I thank everyone for their help.

Obviously a re-raise preflop is the best play, as has been mentioned. That being said, as played, I don't mind calling the flop and turn. On the flop there are no draws to protect against, and there is a chance of someone showing up with a 5, in which case a raise is just giving away chips. I guess it comes down to the benefit of protecting against AK vs. the risk of running into trips. I don't know which should be given more weight here. Anyway, there are good arguments for both a raise and a call.On the turn I don't really see any arguments for raising. I don't think villain is firing a second barrel with AK here. I would be interested in hearing why people are advocating a raise in this spot.

On the turn I don't really see any arguments for raising. I don't think villain is firing a second barrel with AK here. I would be interested in hearing why people are advocating a raise in this spot.
Good question. I would be interested in this as well. Of course if he calls and the original bettor fires again on a dry river, isn't our money getting in anyway? We are obv pot committed.
On the turn I don't really see any arguments for raising. I don't think villain is firing a second barrel with AK here. I would be interested in hearing why people are advocating a raise in this spot.
As it was played, calling is worse than shoving imo. If you convince yourself that you are good enough to call here, then why wouldn't you shove?

Yeah, all the money is getting in at that point.So I just wanted him to see that defining the hand is important. This one would have been next to impossible for anyone to lay down at any point. The way it was played I thought AT for sure. Not sure exactly how to put someone on AA/KK in this spot. It was a cooler, yes, but I honestly did not post as a bad beat. It was to show that more aggressive>passive and in most cases raising>calling. Villain had AA and I just don't see where we get away from it. I have gotten away from QQ when a K or A comes on the flop - a couple on times on Sunday alone.Any way you can think of to try to define him to the top two pairs? I think you need solid reads and he would have to be extremely tight.Hopefully my friend registers and says hi soon.Thank you all for your input.

Reraise preflop 100%Hard to know what to do after that...don't mind calling the flop.As played from Villains perspective looks like 99+ so it's a 50:50 shove/fold.Think he'd probably give up on AK/AQ, if he's bad he might show up with AT here.