Wsop Blind Changes?

On Cardplayer TV they said the starting chips were doubling in all of the 2007 WSOP events and that the blinds were doubling. Why would you do this? The only reason I thought of was to put more chips on the table for tv viewers. More chips moving around looks better for tv audiences.

On Cardplayer TV they said the starting chips were doubling in all of the 2007 WSOP events and that the blinds were doubling. Why would you do this? The only reason I thought of was to put more chips on the table for tv viewers. More chips moving around looks better for tv audiences.
1. The blinds are not doubling for the lower buy-in events. WSOP feels that the structure for the main event is fine, but the lower buy-in events needed improvement.2. This is not for "more chips for TV" because they could accomplish this by not coloring up as much.
Lee Jones told the WSOP chairman about PokerStars tremendous success when the gave every one 4x the starting stack in the Sunday Million and at the same time made every blind level 4x what it originally was. After realizing how wonderfully pointless such a change is, the powers that be decided to follow suit making this yet another example of how PokerStars leads the industry with their inovative ideas.
1. The blinds are not doubling for the lower buy-in events. WSOP feels that the structure for the main event is fine, but the lower buy-in events needed improvement.2. This is not for "more chips for TV" because they could accomplish this by not coloring up as much.
Reply to 1.In the episode about Raymer getting hacked it says that all 55 WSOP events will have double the amount of starting chips and double the blinds. The only event that is a little different is the HORSE tourney. Around level 13, the blinds slow down. Reply to 2.What I meant about the chips is the number. Say someone bets 8,000,000 at the final table. Last year that was only equivelant to 4,000,000. The average tv viewer will be amazed at the 8 mill chip bet not realizing that it's really only 4 mill.
Reply to 1.In the episode about Raymer getting hacked it says that all 55 WSOP events will have double the amount of starting chips and double the blinds. The only event that is a little different is the HORSE tourney. Around level 13, the blinds slow down.
The $10k main event has players starting with $20k in chips, not $10k like last year, and the blinds in the first level are $50/$100, not $25/$50 like last year.http://dps.twiihosting.net/wsop/doc/content/doc_591_133.pdfThe $1.5k NLHE event has players starting with $3k in chips, not $1.5k like last year, and the blinds in the first level are $25/$50, the same as last year.http://dps.twiihosting.net/wsop/doc/content/doc_591_105.pdf
The $10k main event has players starting with $20k in chips, not $10k like last year, and the blinds in the first level are $50/$100, not $25/$50 like last year.http://dps.twiihosting.net/wsop/doc/content/doc_591_133.pdfThe $1.5k NLHE event has players starting with $3k in chips, not $1.5k like last year, and the blinds in the first level are $25/$50, the same as last year.http://dps.twiihosting.net/wsop/doc/content/doc_591_105.pdf
Ok. But why the change? Is it the same reason as the Poker Stars deal?

From (PokernewsEffel explained that the doubling of chips was necessary to add a couple of extra levels of play to the intermediate levels of early, low buy-in events; these events have been cited in earlier years as not offering much real poker play. In turn, the WSOP seems to have decided that doubling chip stacks across the board was the best way to provide uniformity, even if in some events such as the Main Event, the higher chip stacks do not necessarily mean more play. Also,Opinions vary as to how much of the changes in starting stacks and blind structures will add to play, and how much is cosmetic. Lower buy-in events clearly make a marginal gain in terms of added play, while examinations of the Main Event structures show that the new structure mirrors the old quite closely, bouncing up and down in comparative measure with many of the minor differences accounted for by rounding and chip-denomination needs. One emerging tournament force, Joe Sebok, sees them as "cosmetic, albeit good cosmetic changes." "The added levels are nice," said Sebok, "but really don't drastically change much in terms of play. The bottom line is that it will make players feel better regardless of much change in play, and that is a good thing." Sebok continued by noting, "The WSOP is really stuck in a tough spot with this issue, though, as they have to compete with so many different events in an extremely finite amount of time. It's simply the nature of the beast at such a massive event as the WSOP."

well as previously stated the blinds are not going up in the smaller events but the starting stack is b/c the structure wasn't great. Since they used to start with an amount equivalent to the buy in, they had to double all the stack sizes so one tournament's chips were not more valuable than another. If they didnt do that, someone could transfer chips into another tournament where they would be more valuable.
The two posts above this one have valid info. To put it simply: The main event structure still starts players with 200 times the big blind in chips. The lower buy-in events, such as the $1.5k buy-in, start with more BB in chips. In the $1.5k, players start with 60 times BB instead of 30 times BB, allowing players to wait for premium hands instead of needing to push all in with any big ace or big pocket pair in the first three levels.

I see this as more then a cosmetic change. Maybe I'm over analyzing the situation, but in my mind this will greatly affect the play of the main event. Let me explain:In a past Main Event, donkyfishjoe attempts to still the blinds while they are first level 25 - 50 raising to 200-250 range with a K8 offsuit. Daniel Negreanu in the big blind tries to tell joe that this wont fly and repops to say 550-625 with JJ. Well, even though donkyfishjoe hasnt a clue what he's doing, he's more likely to avoid a tango and move on to the next hand. I say this because in his mind, small amount of chips. donkyfishjoe doesnt pay attention to how many chips he has compared to the blinds, so in his head, small amount of chips, I still have a bunch, let's move on.But now same scenario, donkyfishjoe has 20,000 in chips and the blinds start at 50-100. He tries to steal "him sum blinds" with K8 by raising to 400-450. and Daniel plays back at him raising in the 1000-1200 range. Well, now donkyjoe is more inclined to play. Not saying this isnt great, players with serious chances would love action in these spots, and I know they can handle it just fine, but it is going to change the play. So my prediction is that the first day of play is going to be faster. Its a psychological thing. if you ever want to confuse a joe in a home game, just give him bigger denomination chips. His mistakes are in playing his own cards, and in his head he needs to see a flop cause he put so much in there. So yes, to all of the seasoned and established players, all is well, changes nothing. But mentally to donkfishjoe, "its chips growing time" I speak the truth here. You may say to yourself nobody entering the main event will be that inexperienced, but I will even go on a limb and say more people are gone in the first blind level this year, then any previous year.joe doesnt play to keep pots small, or to pay attention to how much is at risk, he just plays his hand. So, his/her mistakes are elevated to a larger degree. joe doesnt fold his 1000 chips if you raise him. joe doesnt manage his stack. So now instead of the slow drip, even though its the same thing, he's going to lose his stack at an elevated rate.

Some events aren't seeing the blind double - so it's giving more play to those events. At the same time you don't want to have a bunch of events which give double the chips (for the buyin) and a bunch (including the main event) which don't. You don't want to provide the incentive for cheats to buy in to those double chip events and pocket the chips for use in other non-double chip events.At least that's my uninformed guess.
On Cardplayer TV they said the starting chips were doubling in all of the 2007 WSOP events and that the blinds were doubling.
You need to remember that these are the guys who don't know the difference between Canada and North Carolina.
Actually, last year the blinds started off at 25/25 in the smaller buy-in events. so a slight increase from last year. The next two levels are doubled. Then, the rest of the tourney (until late, ie, the final table) has the blinds relatively lower than last year. So the net result is there is more "play" this year in the middle stages of the tourney, compared to last year (in the smaller buy-in events)
Actually, last year the blinds started off at 25/25 in the smaller buy-in events. so a slight increase from last year. The next two levels are doubled. Then, the rest of the tourney (until late, ie, the final table) has the blinds relatively lower than last year. So the net result is there is more "play" this year in the middle stages of the tourney, compared to last year (in the smaller buy-in events)
Now that you mention it, I do remember the $1500 NLHE blinds starting at $25/$25, last year.