Auto Chop To End Home Tourney

Expecting 10, got 6 a tourney. We decided to play to the last 2, and have them split 50-50.. just so we could start again a bit quicker. Down to 3, one monster stack and 2 very short stacks. One very short gets busted and the other very short splits evenly with the monster stack.Sounds unfair, as the person with 95% of the chips, when evenly matched, should win 95% of the time...Getting ready for another night, and thinking about calling it with 3 left (we expect at least 1 full table). One player has suggested we just settle places by chipstacks... and although that stops a tiny stack from getting as much as the big stack, it seems that weighting it 70-30 might shortchange the 45% stack...I'm wondering if anyone else does this (pre-planned chop), and if it varies depending on chip size. FWIW, I prefer to have the buy-in equal to the starting chips, so simply cashing out the top 2 or 3 is probably the fairest possibility... of course, 3rd place could have less than the starting stack... and just lose less than the others...Other thoughts... pay lowest place double buy-in and let the 2 places split whats left according to % of chips held. Could be a PITA to count and figure.

6 player trney should pay top 2 in like a 70/30 or 65/45 format.If the players want to chop it evenly, go for it, but you should play til there's a winner. If the blinds go up at regular intervals, shorten that when HU. Unless you're super deepstacked, a hu match shouldn't last much longer than 10-15 mins

FWIW, here's what we do...usually 9 or 10 players, $10 buy-in, 10K chips, one $10 rebuy for 5K chips. Play to the last two, and split accoring to chipstacks, but making sure 2nd place at least gets his buyin(s) back. If one of the final three busts the other two on the same hand, he scoops it all (rare but it does happen).Blinds start at 100-200 with 100 ante. Blinds and antes double every time around the table until level 5, then go up every 20 minutes. Average time to play is about 90 minutes.Not my favorite structure but everyone else seems to really like it, and I make money at it, so I guess it's OK.

Well I too agree that that is unfair, but it is not my house so you can do what ever you like. The correct thing to do is have one payout structure and stick to it. This structure is the most efficient and correct payout chart that I suggest you use. It can handle up to 50 people. You can round up and down to the nearest dollar.PayoutChart.jpgcreated by BCR_9er I hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
Well I too agree that that is unfair, but it is not my house so you can do what ever you like. The correct thing to do is have one payout structure and stick to it. This structure is the most efficient and correct payout chart that I suggest you use. It can handle up to 50 people. You can round up and down to the nearest dollar.PayoutChart.jpgcreated by BCR_9er I hope this helps.
Neat chart. We played with 8 last month... Split the top 2 spots (2/3 : 1/3). 2nd stack busted 3rd stack and was still behind in chips. A little whining, and considered waiting until busting 3rd stack would push him to chip leader. Played with 7 tonight. Decided to pay top 2, to be chopped if they wanted. First tourney, split offered when HU, and declined by chip leader. A couple of hands later, it was closer and folks were itching to restart. Chopped (50-50)Second tourney, I was HU, offered a chop, the other guy wanted to count. I told him the offer was going to change and he would owe me $1 more for making me count. I was up approx a BB and he agreed to split. When I went to take the extra buck, he balked and offered to play it out. Of course I agreed to an even split.Third tourney, I was HU with a good poker pal. We were close, and there wasn't a thought about chopping, at least not from me. Last tourney and bragging rights. He chopped in the 1st, I did in the 2nd. I predicted 3 hands of HU until it was over. On the 3rd hand, I went all-in and lost. Next hand I went bust. Got my 1/3, instead of 1/2.