Great Singers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think their needs to be some stricter qualifications for this thread.Are we talking purely on voice?Or lyric writingOr 'frontman' qualities.Because if it's only voice. about half of the names need to be kicked out...far out.

I think their needs to be some stricter qualifications for this thread.Are we talking purely on voice?Or lyric writingOr 'frontman' qualities.Because if it's only voice. about half of the names need to be kicked out...far out.
I actually agree with this. You have to define great first. To me, a "great" singer has a strong voice, is capable of things mediocre singers are not vocally (like good falsettos and a big range), has perfect pitch and beautiful tone.Eddie Vedder? Nope, doesn't fit that bill. Neither does Tom Petty or Jeff Tate or a lot of the singers mentioned in this thread.

Otis Redding, fuk yeah! His performance at Monterey a few short months before his death really brought R&B into mainstream. Def one of the best of all-time.

Bon Scott, original AC/DC singer.Possibly the best hard rock singer ever. He had it all: range, tone, texture, attitude. Way better than Brian Johnson, although Johnson is a perfectly adequate replacement.

No list of great singers can be complete without Chris Cornell, that guy from Bloc Party and Nancy Wilson.
I knew you'd come through with the Cornell. 'Atta girl. :club:s pat:
jeff buckley
I knew you'd come through with the Buckley. 'Atta girl.:ass pat:Oh yeah, I almost forgot...Kelly Clarkson.
if you don't turn off this michael mcdonald dvd right now, i'm going to kill everyone in the store and put a bullet in my brain.
Nothin' against him, but if I hear "Yah Mo B There" one more time, I'm going to Yah Mo Burn This Place To The Ground.
I actually agree with this. You have to define great first. To me, a "great" singer has a strong voice, is capable of things mediocre singers are not vocally (like good falsettos and a big range), has perfect pitch and beautiful tone.Eddie Vedder? Nope, doesn't fit that bill. Neither does Tom Petty or Jeff Tate or a lot of the singers mentioned in this thread.
When I made the thread I was talking about people who have a great range, power, and tone. There are a few singers that have been listed that wouldn't be considered great singers (mostly rock and metal). But everyone has their opinion.
When I made the thread I was talking about people who have a great range, power, and tone. There are a few singers that have been listed that wouldn't be considered great singers (mostly rock and metal). But everyone has their opinion.
I can objectively say that Dave Matthews does NOT have 'great range, power and tone'.