be worried about a set

I was wondering if people here regularly worry about their opponents having a set. I had a hand today (NL.25/.50) where i was dealth AQ in late position. Folded to me.. I raise and am reraised by the SB, I call. FLOP: A Q 9He checks to me I bet the pot. He reraises. The raise sort of worries me as I think he may have pocket A's or Q's. But I call. Turn: ragHe bets about 2/3 the pot. I just call.River: ragHe checks. I check.(Probably should have bet the river since he checked, but I just had a bad feeling)He turns over AK.Anyway, I know if you have TPTK, you kinda worry about a set (but really only clumped into a whole mess of other hands that could beat u as well). In this case with top two pair, is the amount of money you lose by not betting this more aggressively more than the amount of money you will lose in the few instances that your opponent does have a set.

I think you played that hand perfectly. I always worry about another player having a low set when i flop TPTK. Even when i flop the top 2 pair I somewhat get paranoid unless I have a great read on my opponent. The value of gaining the extra bets in this case is to risky when you think your opponent had flopped a set. It is very difficult to let go of the top 2 pair and I think just calling his bets was a good play. Just my $.02.

i agree......i think you played the hand well......the only hand he can call a bet on the end where you aren't beat is ak, more often you will get raise, if you bet.....the pot was big enough to take down with the hand you had, and top 2 was prob good

I'm more worried about a set in an unraised pot where no real hands seem possible flush, straight, and the betting done by opponent is strange. The times when my opponent has a set is the times when i have top pair or two kicker and i cannot for the life of me put my opponent on a hand. This should trigger a set. A raise and a reraise by your opponent , and then a bet off the flop with an a and q shouldnt worry you. You should be thinking ak or aq before you think set.

There are two effective ways to play a set when you flop it:1. Bet out, hoping to catch someone with TPTK2. Slow play, calling, and then bet hard on the river if no scare cards come up.Frankly, I dislike option 2 simply because if a better hand hits because I slowplayed, its my own damn fault. And it happens too often for my liking.You can't play scared when you have something like TPTK. The betting techniques used with a set are VERY similar to how AK/AQ are played. And the number of times you will lose to a set are much smaller to the number of times you will have the best hand.Slow down if you suspect a set (like a tight player that is suddenly betting hard), but dont play afraid. Dev