Looking For Some Serious Br Advice

Hey folks,I've been on a bit of a rush lately and started 2007 by turning $20 into $350. I want to try and do things right this year. I'm sure there is advice in the strat forum but I like things to be fresh. Here are my questions: What level should I be playing at? How much do you keep on the site and how and when and how much do you cash out? I'm not looking to be a high roller, I still am cabable of huge donktastic play. I'm looking for some good solid bank roll management advice for a relative newbie. How do you know when to move up levels. Currently I have been jumping mostly from .10/.20 and 25./.50 with the occasional .50/$1 thrown in to feel like I'm living dangerously (all no-limit). Looking forward to hearing from you.-Bear

Stick with .10/.20 until you hit $500, then move up to .25/.50 until you hit $1000, then .50/1 and on.... If you fall back down to $500, play .25/.50 again..., if you fall down to $350, play .10/.20 again...

I would recommend at least 20-25 max buyins for NLHE cash games. So I think you should keep grinding at the 0.05/0.10 until you get to 500-600 and then move up to 0.10/0.25....
Yeah, that one.NL is a sick game.With $350, you could play $10 max buyin (.05/.10), since you'd have 35 buyins.To play the next level, which I assume is .10/.25, You'd need $600 to have 25 buyins. $1250 for .25/.50, $2500 for .5/1, and so on.I'd recommend much bigger rolls for SH as well, and definitely tighten your BR requirements as you move to midstakes/higher stakes games, like 200NL or 400NL, etc, hopefully not too far down the road.- Zach

This post probably doesn't necessarily belong in General since it could very easily devolve into a discussion of whether $350 is even a bankroll. That said, I really think that it depends a lot on what your goals are and how important it is to you to not go broke. If you're trying to improve your game and make this a lifelong bankroll and that you build basically from scratch, you should stick to .05/.10 NL and follow the bankroll rules that Zach and others have posted. They're probably erring a little bit on the side of caution and being conservative, but that should ensure you of not going broke. If the money you have online is the only money you have for poker and you won't be able to reload (or at least it will be difficult), then by all means you want to be very conservative. If you can redeposit if you go broke, then you can certainly take shots a bit more....though I still wouldn't reccomend play .5/1 NL or really even .25/.50 with only $350 as you're pretty likely to go broke if you keep playing those.One thing not mentioned above that I do think is somewhat important though is taking shots. For the most part, you should follow solid/sound BR management guidelines, however that doesn't mean that you can't take shots from time to time. For instance, if your bankroll says you should be play .05/.10, you could very easily take a shot at .10/.25, without too much potential damage to your roll. You can also play with a slightly smaller roll overall if you're willing to drop down if you get into trouble. For instance, you could play with 15 buy-ins, but drop down if you lose 5 buy-ins and are down to 10. As an example, you could play .10/.25 with $375 in your roll, as long as you're willing to drop back down to .05/.10 as soon as you get to around $200 or so. Finally...I have no idea whether you're actually a winning player or not, but from your post it sounds like you may not be (or at least not a proven long-term winner) and all of this BR talk really means nothing if you're a losing player overall, so I really suggest that you post and read hands in Strat, get pokertracker and generally work on constantly improving your game, that along with sound BR management is the best means to success.

br management is so important, mainly because it's tied closely together with discipline. if you don't have either of those, you're doomed for this game.And there is nothing wrong with a conservative br management as well. The 25 NL buy ins and 300bbs for full ring limit, 500bbs for short handed, are standard guidelines to follow. For myself, I play much better with a larger broll as the swings won't affect me as much if I'm missing 10% of my br rather than 25%. just somethign to think about.